News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Have you ever been surprised by an aerial?
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
Have you ever played a golf course and then, when later looking at an aerial view/overhead routing map of the course, found yourself being surprised/taken aback by what you saw? Has what you felt, on the ground, walking and playing a course, ever been at odds with what the aerial/overhead is telling you?

Peter

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Have you ever been surprised by an aerial?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:13:19 AM »
All the time. Look at the most recent aerial on nearmap.com of Seminole Golf Club. (Aug 2015) LOTS of fairway lines being moved this summer to be closer to bunker edges. Also can see all the courses aerifying and/or doing construction in our area.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »
All the time. Look at the most recent aerial on nearmap.com of Seminole Golf Club. (Aug 2015) LOTS of fairway lines being moved this summer to be closer to bunker edges. Also can see all the courses aerifying and/or doing construction in our area.

Holy smokes!  Looks great.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
P2, Red Lawrence's Desert Forest fits your bill. Although. I saw the aerial then played, the bowling alley straight lines on the aerial are non existent on the ground. The movement of that ground is so well done it defies description. All done with hand and horse labor in 1962 Arizona.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
Thanks, Adam - that's an excellent description (and explanation i.e. the ground movements so well done). The 100 year old, 9-hole Guelph Country Club also surprises: yes, in playing it I'm struck by how few bunkers and water features one encounters, and then indeed the aerial confirms that there are only 14 bunkers and 1 pond. But on the other hand, the aerial shows a compact site/routing on a small piece of tree-lined land, but in the playing I feel anything but cramped, and the fairways are wide, and the trees do not impinge on play at all; and the constant and relatively dramatic elevation changes makes the playing a much different experience than I'd expect from the aerial.
Peter 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
Yale -back in the mid '80s it was pretty 'overgrown' and I never realized that many of holes were pretty near each other. Some years later I saw an aerial and was surprised to see just how close they were.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
Check out the timeline photos in G Earth of ANGC looking for one in the heat of summer.  Greens and bunkers shaded with tarps, construction going on, massive top dressing, etc.  I looked because I read somewhere that it looked really bad.  To me it didn’t.  It just looked like a golf course being intensively maintained—not for golf but being prepared for a future show.         

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
For me the reaction has always been the other way. Going to a new course I'll always look up the aerial before I go. Numerous times during the round I find myself thinking "this is not how I envisioned this hole at all" The two biggest that come to mind is how the 3rd hole at Monifieth Ashludie fit in the routing and the 6th hole at Belvedere.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
For me its always been looking at places like Bandon Resort.

Some of the holes are not hard to spot as they either have distinctive fairway cuts or are routed thru the forests....but on other parts of the property all you see if bunkers and the occasional green, and if you hadn't played there before, you'd wonder how the hell the routing goes...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Surprised a bit by the aerial of Ferry Point from July of 2014 as the Google Earth shot nicely captured an airplane above the course!

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/FerryPoint/pages/page_3.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
P2, Red Lawrence's Desert Forest fits your bill. Although. I saw the aerial then played, the bowling alley straight lines on the aerial are non existent on the ground. The movement of that ground is so well done it defies description. All done with hand and horse labor in 1962 Arizona.

I would agree. While on the course, it feels like a bigger site than it is, and the holes don't feel right on top of each other, though they sort of are and you can become aware of this if you're spraying it.

But more than anything the course on an aerial looks like a lot of mostly straight east-west holes. Playing it, there feels like there's a lot of movement, both in the land and the holes themselves.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
Have you ever played a golf course and then, when later looking at an aerial view/overhead routing map of the course, found yourself being surprised/taken aback by what you saw? Has what you felt, on the ground, walking and playing a course, ever been at odds with what the aerial/overhead is telling you?

Peter

Normally, I'm surprised by an actual course after only looking at aerials prior to the first play.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
Of course the aerials of Google and Bing do not have contour lines.  I am always surprised before playing and looking at the google map aerial, or after at how high or dramatic mounds, slopes and such are.  I am fair at reading and imagining an aerial topo with 2foot on ele contour lines.  I can usually envision the steepness of a slope by the spread of distance of the contour lines, but even with a bit of having walked several properties and laid out potential routings with tope map aids, I really need to see the actual land to really have a decent idea of how it lays.  I was quite amazed by Tom Doak's capacity in that regard once when he showed us a topo and concept routing of Pac Dunes.  Of course it is his craft and trade and all.... but I"m easily mesmerized by shiny spoons.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
I look at google maps often before playing, and find it helps me appreciate the routing, especially and internally looping one, or one that crosses itself.  You can sometimes appreciate hills/valleys and mounds by shadowing, but not always.  Also there are times when I see homes, and then when playing find they are comfortably set back or landscaped and do not impose on the course. 

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »
Yes, an early, but not initial aerial of ANGC...the bunker scheme was enthralling.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
Thanks, Adam - that's an excellent description (and explanation i.e. the ground movements so well done). The 100 year old, 9-hole Guelph Country Club also surprises: yes, in playing it I'm struck by how few bunkers and water features one encounters, and then indeed the aerial confirms that there are only 14 bunkers and 1 pond. But on the other hand, the aerial shows a compact site/routing on a small piece of tree-lined land, but in the playing I feel anything but cramped, and the fairways are wide, and the trees do not impinge on play at all; and the constant and relatively dramatic elevation changes makes the playing a much different experience than I'd expect from the aerial.
Peter

That looks like a nice course.  Will have to try it when we visit the in-laws next.  They're about 10 minutes from there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back