News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

The JLT matches are being held this week at Royal Dornoch The matches are contested between teams of nine junior boy golfers from GB&I and the Continent. The format each day is 4 foursomes in the morning and 8 singles matches in the afternoon.

http://championships.randa.org/en/InternationalMatches/JacquesLegliseTrophy/Home.aspx

I arrived in Dornoch on August 21. The course is as green as I have ever seen it. Yesterday morning there was more standing water on the course than I have ever seen in my 26 visits here. The rough is very thick and juicy.

If anyone (GCA-ers or lurkers) is passing thru Dornoch in the next couple of weeks, you are welcome to get in touch. I am here till September 13. My email is tcmnav@aol.com.

DT

Jon Wiggett

Re: Jacques Leglise Trophy Matches at Royal Dornoch, August 28 & 29
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »
David,

this spring started cold and wet, the summer stayed cold but turned even wetter. Never seen as bad a season in the Highlands. Still, at least it has turned a little sunnier in the last few days :)

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »
David

How did it go ? Did you see any good golf ?

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
Niall -

The good news is the match went down to the last putt on the last hole of the last singles match.

Here is the story on the matches from the R&A website:

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2015/August/GREAT-BRITAIN-AND-IRELAND-RETAIN-THE-JACQUES-LEGLISE-TROPHY.aspx

It was interesting to me that the Continental Europe was comprised of 2 Norwegians, 2 Danes, one Swede, one Icelander and one player from Germany, France and Italy. The ability of the Nordic countries to produce competitive players is impressive.

I marshaled the opening foursome match Friday morning between the 2 Norwegians and an English/Irish duo. Norwegians played solid, steady golf and won easily, 5&4.

On Saturday afternoon, I was the scorekeeper of a singles match between Italian Guido Migliozzi and Welshman Tom Williams. The Italian, a big, strong kid,  was impressive. Except for one swing, he had his ball under control on every shot  and holed several 10' to 20' putts. He birdied 3 holes, was conceded birdie on another and won 5&4. I will remember his name and will look to see if he becomes a big-time player at some point down the road.

As you might imagine, when these kids hit driver, which was not all that often, the ball stays in the air a long time.

DT

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »
did you see much of sandy scott? he unfortunately lost the last in the final game that would have secured the win.
As a Nairn lad myself I've been following his season closely. will be interesting to see how he progresses

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 02:02:18 AM »
Alan -

I only got to see Sandy Scott in his attempt to save par on #18 in the last match Saturday afternoon. It would have been a storybook ending had he done so, but it was not to be.

The GB&I team played the 18th hole 5 times in Saturday's matches and lost it all 5 times.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back