News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

PASATIEMPO
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Is really spectacular and the drought may have benefited them I that the off areas don't need to be maintained.

The course is in terrific condition and is a must for "golfers" within a two hour drive.

This is a course I could play 36, every day and never tire of it.

The green complexes provide innumerable, challenging hole locations, the bunkering is incredibly creative, visually stunning and highly functional.

It's got to be one of the most enjoyable golf courses you could ever play

J_ Crisham

Re: PASATIEMPO
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »
+1.   Looking forward to a return game in 5 wks

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

Jack,

Not only was the course, conditions and weather great, but we played in under 4:00 hours and if it wasn't for a group of hackers two foursomes ahead of us, we would have played in 3 hours.

You're going to really enjoy the course.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 07:39:16 PM »
spot on Patrick, Pasa is terrific
197 played, only 3 to go!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »

Jack,

Not only was the course, conditions and weather great, but we played in under 4:00 hours and if it wasn't for a group of hackers two foursomes ahead of us, we would have played in 3 hours.

You're going to really enjoy the course.
Pat,  my last visit was about 8 yrs ago for a Kibgs Putter Event. Shivas and I got thrashed by Bob Huntley and Ed Getka- it was a fun day to say the least.  Your comment re: the set of par 3s . I can't think of many courses with a set as solid as Pasa- you use a different club on each of them.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
Is really spectacular and the drought may have benefited them I that the off areas don't need to be maintained.

The course is in terrific condition and is a must for "golfers" within a two hour drive.

This is a course I could play 36, every day and never tire of it.

The green complexes provide innumerable, challenging hole locations, the bunkering is incredibly creative, visually stunning and highly functional.

It's got to be one of the most enjoyable golf courses you could ever play

I agree with you Pat. I think it just an outstanding golf course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
What amazes me is that the property is not without its challenges.

Yet AM utilized the ravines masterfully and created 18 brilliant holes

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
Is the back at Pasatiempo the best 9 holes there is?  If not what courses have a better 9?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
What amazes me is that the property is not without its challenges.

Yet AM utilized the ravines masterfully and created 18 brilliant holes

I can't think of another course that uses such a feature more frequently and in such a variety of ways.  Think about how you confront the barranca at 10, 11 and 12, it's different every time.  New challenges await at 15, 16 and 18. 

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
Pat, now you know why this wonderful course has served as a touchstone for so many here on GCA in their discovery of what great golf architecture is really all about. I'll be playing it again in about 2 months for the 7th time and I still get jacked up about teeing it up there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »
One of the great things about Pasatiempo is the cool weather that generally prevails.  It's a good walk, energetic to the point of cardio at times, but always walkable. 

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:48:22 PM »
I love Passy.  One of my favorites.  But I think it has 3 weak holes in 6-7-8.  What could be done to improve these holes?  It would improve the stature of the place.

John Cowden

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 09:56:41 PM »
Nothing weak about no. 8, IMHO.  And the green complex at no. 7 is fantastic; the tee shot is pretty good, too.  The second shot at No. 6 is admittedly weak given the constraints of the housing, AM's among them, and the trees, planted in the late '40s when a player was killed by a tee shot from no. 7.  Again, however, the green complex is much better than average. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »
I love Passy.  One of my favorites.  But I think it has 3 weak holes in 6-7-8.  What could be done to improve these holes?  It would improve the stature of the place.

The only problem with 6 and 7 is the trees between the fairways.  Both good holes but the corridors are tight.  The 8th?   Keep the ball below the hole.  That's the steepest green I've played on a shortish par 3. 

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »

Interested in hearing what you consider weak about 8? That green complex can be an adventure.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »

Interested in hearing what you consider weak about 8? That green complex can be an adventure.

Last time I played the hole I hit a super iron to 6' to a way back pin.  Three putts.  The front half of the green is 8%, the way back is that or more.  Scary green. 

Jim Hoak

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
I don't want to criticize the course, because I love it.  But I feel like I'm in a bowling alley playing #7, and I think the green on #8, that some of you seem to love, is absurd.  Difficult is fine; unplayable is not.  And, the netting on the left, and dense trees on the right, of #6 are too bad.
I just think those 3 holes drag down an otherwise incredibly good course.  Short of cutting down the trees (which would never be approved by the authorities), and blowing up the #8 green, there is probably nothing that can be done.
But I don't want to turn this post extolling Pasatiempo into something critical.  The rest of the course is great.  I agree with Pat that few courses are more fun to play.  Don't take a little mild criticism as anything major.  I just wonder if anything could be done to improve these holes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:08:53 PM by Jim Hoak »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 12:26:45 AM »
Jim,

Agree on # 6.

I wonder if the hole was different on opening day as the homes to the left and behind the green seem to give the hole it's confining nature.

We also wondered about the bunker cut into the right hillside about 80 yards off the tee.   Was that an original (we thought it was) or a subsequent amendment ?

I love the 7th green and surrounds, but attribute safety concerns as the cause of the bowling alley fairway.  Without those tall trees lining the fairway, the hole would be improved

I also like 8, but think you have to be careful on green speeds.

I'm anxious to play the entire body of work by the good Doctor in the U.S.

In discussions with my foursome, we felt that in addition to TOC, that PV, NGLA, CPC, Pasatiempo, ANGC and Seminole should be on every aspiring architect's list of toured courses.

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 01:07:24 AM »
Pasatiempo is a very special golf course and the first place I ever took a step back to appreciate golf course architecture.  I believe that the drought could drastically change the way the course is playing. It could play soft depending on the time of year, especially since the fog often is a presence and it can be cool even in the summer.

The green speeds at any given time can make certain holes at Pasatiempo almost unplayable.  That would be my only critique of the course.  Holes like #8, 11, 16, and 18 can be incredibly treacherous when the greens are fast.  Much of the fun of playing Pasatiempo are the wonderful green complexes,but there is nothing enjoyable about having putts roll off the green.  Thankfully, I only played there a few times where conditions were like that.

All that being said, it is one of my all time favorites.

John Cowden

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 01:19:55 AM »

The bunker 80 yds off the 6 tee was part of the original design, lost over time, then restored by Doak/Urbina.  Someone once suggested to me its original purpose was as a site line from 5 tee.  Don't know about that.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 02:01:02 AM »
Pat, not to get this thread off course, but as you play the Good Doctor's courses, don't forget Meadow Club--across the Golden Gate Bridge.  I played it a few years ago--and just played it again 3 times recently.  Mike DeVries did a lot of restoration there--and did a very good job.  It is also a very enjoyable, 365-day-a-year course.  Maybe not quite of the caliber of Passy, but very good.

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »
"Maybe not quite of the caliber of Passy, but very good."

Jim H. -

Yes, the Meadow Club is very good indeed. A wonderful members' course.

DT

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:11 AM »
Meadow Club was AM's 1st U.S. course.

Marion Hollins was AM's Mike Keiser at Pasatiempo.

When is Mike going to a tribute to AM? Can you think of anyone better than Jim Urbina to spear head that project?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Josh Tarble

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
Is the back at Pasatiempo the best 9 holes there is?  If not what courses have a better 9?

I agree.  I think the back 9 is as good as there is anywhere in the world.  Each hole presents a new challenge and are still incredibly fun, all while being immensely walkable. 

I also agree that 6-7-8 kind of bring down the course a bit (from a very lofty perch) 6 especially being the lone par 5 on the front.  I also wonder how much the encroaching housing affected those holes.  A bit more width on 6 might help all three from feeling so scrunched in.

I also think 1 is a bit weak but not awful.  Just not to the standards of the course.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:21:31 AM by Josh Tarble »

astavrides

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »

The green speeds at any given time can make certain holes at Pasatiempo almost unplayable.  That would be my only critique of the course.  Holes like #8, 11, 16, and 18 can be incredibly treacherous when the greens are fast.  Much of the fun of playing Pasatiempo are the wonderful green complexes,but there is nothing enjoyable about having putts roll off the green.

Agree. In theory, if they want to keep green speeds fast, could they rebuild those greens (at least #8 and #18 and maybe #9) to have similar contours, but less grade/slope?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back