News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Fred Couples Design Team
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »
I have played a couple of courses which are attributed to Fred Couples as the designer including Chapel Ridge in NC and Westfields in VA and I was wondering if someone could tell me who actually is the lead architect of those courses? 

Sam Morrow

Re: Fred Couples Design Team
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »
Hasn't he been involved with Brauer, Gene Bates, and Schmidt and Curley? His only course I've played is Royal Oaks here in Houston, I live a mile away but still try not to play there.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:13:20 PM by Sam Morrow »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »
I really do not have any idea who he works with.  I have played Chapel Ridge in Pittsboro, NC quite a few times and it is really good - plenty of width, solid risk/reward par 5s, actually drivable par 4s, par 3s of different lengths including uphill, over water, etc., interesting greens and a great value at $37 - $55.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
Jerry,

Southern Dunes( Couples/Schmidt&Curley) in the Phoenix area is worth a visit:

http://www.troongolf.com/troon_facility.cml?cmd=view&id=royal_dunes_golf_course
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:40:53 AM »
Isn't he also associated with Carolina National, a 27 hole facility, near Wilmington?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
I have Played Southen Dunes - refreshing difference from typical desert golf. In the afternoon they convert driving range into a par 3 course

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »
As Sam notes, Freddie has been involved with a lot of us.  Add in Paul Cowley somewhere in NC, if you will.  I recall hearing of that course from our client, who had previously hired Freddie with them.  I don't know what the current situation is, but there was a time when Couples put his name on many projects, regardless of architect.

Heck I co-designed a course with him, never met him, talked on the phone, etc.  He was a name only.  (and frankly, that is the way our owner wanted it) He even admitted on local TV during a tournament visit that if you gave him a rental car and GPS, he probably still couldn't find the course he designed.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:19 PM »
As Sam notes, Freddie has been involved with a lot of us.  Add in Paul Cowley somewhere in NC, if you will.  I recall hearing of that course from our client, who had previously hired Freddie with them.  I don't know what the current situation is, but there was a time when Couples put his name on many projects, regardless of architect.

Heck I co-designed a course with him, never met him, talked on the phone, etc.  He was a name only.  (and frankly, that is the way our owner wanted it) He even admitted on local TV during a tournament visit that if you gave him a rental car and GPS, he probably still couldn't find the course he designed.
Jeff,
I think the same thing happened to Eddie Bauer and the Ford Bronco he designed.... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
Thanks for the credit Jeff. As the senior design associate for Love Golf design I worked with Fred on Sanctuary Cove, outside of Brunswick GA. He visited the course more than once and was involved and interested in its construction. Fred in person is the same as his media image...all good!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:11:10 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »
Does anyone know who did the design work at Chapel Ridge in Pittsboro, NC?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Thanks for the credit Jeff. As the senior design associate for Love Golf design I worked with Fred on Sanctuary Cove, outside of Brunswick GA. He visited the course more than once and was involved and interested in its construction. Fred in person is the same as his media image...all good!

Paul,

Funny.  By the time we worked with them, they didn't care if Freddy showed up at all, not even for ribbon cutting.  Would have been nice to meet him.

The only real story I heard about your project was that

1) You did everything much cheaper (like sod for $0.17 per SF, which we never see in DFW) but I suspect that was just a negotiating ploy to keep me working towards the lowest possible budget.....or you are true miracle worker!

2) On one green, maybe a Biarritz, Freddy commented on the contours, "Well, that's ballsy."  Sounded like that was the sum total of his design comments, but perhaps just the most memorable..... In any case, the project rep sounded like a tour pro, wanting everything to be receptive.  I built a Redan and he called it goofy.....why shouldn't I just fire at the pin?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:10:12 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

B.Ross

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
he also has his name on an absolute dog s*** complex outside LA called lost canyons. he did 1 course there and pete dye allegedly did the other. facility opened maybe 16 years ago. 1 course shuttered 2-3 years ago, allegedly for homes which haven't been built yet. allegedly other course will be modified and then taken private. it's pretty unplayable these days anyway.

BJones

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »
He has his name on The Plantation in Indio, Ca. a Curley design.  Really fun course.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
San Juan Oaks (south of San Jose, CA) is a Couples course that generally gets good reviews.

http://www.sanjuanoaks.com/

Nigel Islam

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 11:04:32 PM »
Kelly Plantation in Destin, Fl which I believe Gene Bates was the lead architect. It's alright, as good as anything else South of the Bay.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back