News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Darius was kind to answer some questions for me. I pass them on to you at http://wp.me/p20nYT-3fk

Usual Disclaimer: This thread is a selfish attempt to drive site statistics through the 500-per-day roof for the massive stretch of 2 consecutive days. Burn me at the stake.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:51:09 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Joe Hancock

Re: An Interview with Darius Oliver
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
Ran should have a section of the board titled "promotional". Currently there are three active threads on the first page of the discussion board for Darius. Not that he doesn't deserve it...
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
Joe,

A Promotional section of the site would certainly be well-filled with posts and threads. However...

I prefer to think of threads on Darius as "Informative" and not what you suggest. Fact is, we have Darius with us for a brief period of time before he returns to Australia. Not only is he with us, he is among us. He is agreeable to meeting with us and working with us. It's a fantastic opportunity to connect in person with the type of guy who drives our affinity for golf course architecture.

Folks at Ballyhack probably won't be in Chicago, so I commend Tommy and Terry for developing threads on how to attend a Darius Oliver function in their parts of the lower 48. As for this thread, I won't commend myself. I enjoy the opportunity to connect with architects who engage in interviews. My site is not an investigative one, so I'm not likely to have a great reveal. I prefer to give the interview subjects latitude in answering questions, so that the wording/answers are guided by them.

If we all were each other's cup of tea, that would be a lot of bombillas for mate. I believe that these interviews are informative and I shall continue to alert the GCA faithful to their publication.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »
I vote for Mr. Oliver's schedule as being more of a public service announcement.  I do not remember any complaints when the Confidential Guide was for sale and that announcement was made here. 

How would any of us ever hear about these events?

Each of us in own way does not know what we do not know.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:30:09 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
Ronald and Carl,

Maybe I was sounding too negative. But seriously, what if there was a section called "Opportunities"? It could be book sales, links to member-run websites, golf opportunities w/ GCA members, paintings, requests for resumes, etc.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I see what you intended now, Joe. That is a section that would certainly get attention. I think that if you check out Max's Lounge, the other gca discussion forum, you'll see precisely how too many sections can get a bit cluttered. I like Max's and GCA, and I suspect that this forum is intended to be much more focused, without the distractions. Even with that intent, you see how many O/T threads are started.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:38 PM »
for those in western New York, Darius will be at Springville country club on Sunday, August 9th.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4odYMd5IigeV0JsUG1lWHZnM1E/view

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mark Pavy

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »
Ronald and Carl,

Maybe I was sounding too negative. But seriously, what if there was a section called "Opportunities"? It could be book sales, links to member-run websites, golf opportunities w/ GCA members, paintings, requests for resumes, etc.

Great idea. It could even incorporate a "Through the Green" section devoted to the best moron threads from Pat!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »
Mark,

"Pat's Best Moron Threads" is oxymoronic.....

:)

Mark Pavy

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
Sorry to threadjack Ron.

Joe, it maybe definitely is!

Ronald Montesano

What happens when a golf talk is scheduled from 3-4:30 on a puffy-cloud, blue-sky day in Springville, NY?

Answer: All of Darius' attendees forget to come in from the course and Kevin Lynch and I get to spend 90 minutes with Darius and his sidekick, Andrew.

Terrific conversation about all things Planet Golf, the equivalent of the Buffalo Bills in Aussie Rules FBall, Cape Wickham, Confidential Guide, trees, and on and on. For those with the opportunity to attend one of his lectures, let me know how it sounds.

And be sure to bring cash for Planet Golf Books to the locale, as check-cashing is a challenge. If you ask for the Montesano Special, he'll charge you double.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Martin

Re: An Interview with Darius Oliver New
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
Ronald and Carl,

Joe-To play devil's advocate I don't think the site was intended as a promotional vehicle for members. Further I think you will get guys looking for a sign on in an effort to do some advertising. OT threads come in a variety of shapes and sizes and the herd determines how worthy they are by participation. I have always thought it went a bit too far with members using their personal business logos as avatars. The rationale being that if the site doesn't sell advertising why should someone get it for free.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:33:39 AM by Tim Martin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back