News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Hissey

Quogue Field Club
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:25:42 AM »
Does anybody have any background on the club? it has an interesting if secretive history.

Phil Young

Re: Quogue Field Club
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »
Mark,

According to an article in the 1934 issue of the New York Sun, on May 31st "The Quogue Field Club opened its 47th season yesterday..." Meaning that it was founded by and opened in 1887.

Golf was played at the club as early as 1897. The 7/28/1897 issue of the NY telegram reported: "Quogue's season has reached its height... Those interested in the weekly golf tournaments have turned their attention to the tennis tournament. However, golf seems to be the chief outdoor amusement at Quogue..." 

Their first professional MAY have been James Floyd Sr. who left that position in 1905.

The original course was 9 holes and approximately 2,500 yards in length. After 1923 it was expanded to 18 holes and when finished by 1925 it measured 6,200 yards and would remain the same well into the 1930s at least...

There are a tremendous amount of old newspaper articles that one can cull through about Quogue but most of them deal with societal functions. For example, it appears that for decades after its opening a highlight of their season were the "Quogue Quips," evidently a variety show put on at the club... 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
The 1899 Golf Guide notes that the course existing at that time was laid out in 1895 by R. B. Wilson.  It is possible that golf at Quogue predates even that.

Bendelow laid out a new 9 hole course in 1900/01.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Hissey

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
Thank you very much for your info.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
Mark: I have a complete history and photo tour--replete with old and new aerials, hole-by-hole pictures (from earlier this summer), clubhouse pictures, etc.--prepared on Quogue, but I have been awaiting club approval before posting. I hope to do so soon, likely in the form of an "In My Opinion" piece.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:40:54 AM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

abmack

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:04:42 AM »
Mark, this is intriguing!

Here's the course as viewed in Google Maps. I'd love to see some pictures. of the holes.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
That aerial makes the course look very interesting. Some ground level shots to see how much movement there is would be helpful.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
Jim: As noted, I have an entire history and photo tour--with current and past aerials, as well as hole-by-hole pictures from earlier this summer--that I plan to post very soon. Note that, as my piece discusses, the defining feature of Quogue is its flatness, but the lack of land movement in no way detracts from, and instead enhances, the experience.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:52:15 PM by Benjamin Litman »
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
Benjamin,

Good for you for vetting your findings and research directly through the club and seeking their permission prior to posting your results.

I think it's both good manners as well as necessary in getting a complete and accurate picture.   

I'll look forward to learning more about this intriguing club/course.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Dawson

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 05:30:25 AM »
Had the pleasure of playing this beautiful little course last Friday, squeezed in on a whistle-stop long weekend in Long Island. I found it utterly charming both in shot challenge; and also more generally the role that the club evidently plays in the community.

From the first tee (agree that without the hedges you could have a lovely wide open tee box rather like Littlestone GC) right through to the 9th green in front of the shop, it was a wonderful kaleidoscope of shots.

I particularly enjoyed having a crack at driving the 3rd and becoming entangled in the Church Pew bunkers. The par 3 4th hole with its wonderful green, and punching a low hard iron into the wind at the 8th were my particular highlights

Everything was entirely appropriate, from the low-key feel of the renovated clubhouse with the boards and photos, to the swiftness of play and back to a cold drink afterwards

As a relaxed local club that you could play a few holes on every day without glitzy accroutrements, you simply couldn't ask for more

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
Very glad to hear, Matt. Pretty much all of your impressions of QFC are in keeping with mine. Ian Andrew has done a wonderful job restoring the course over the last few years. It is an utter joy to play.

Here's my In My Opinion piece from last year, which includes a full history and photo tour: http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/litman-benjamin-s-timeless-golf-at-quogue-field-club/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »
I was fortunate to play Quogue FC last Saturday afternoon. 

Ben's piece linked above is wonderfully chock full of good info and pictures.

If you desire a photo tour in the traditional style I've been doing for about 10 years now, go here:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Quogue/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Quogue’s “Church Pews”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »

Quogue’s “Church Pews”

It's no wonder I made bogey on that hole!

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »
Looks awesome...except for those terrible looking pine trees behind the 1st green. What is up with that?
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
Looks awesome...except for those terrible looking pine trees behind the 1st green. What is up with that?

geez they've cut down 90% of the trees out there.
never noticed those pine trees before(having played there 20-30 times), but I think they look quite good in the picture
They're native pitch pines in the sand barrens region(completely out of play and impacting no turf)-hardly imported Christmas trees
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 08:34:27 PM »
Those who know me can attest for my dislike of most trees on a golf course.   ;D

But those trees behind the first green are just fine.  They are native evergreens that don't impact play nor I would guess agronomy.

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Those who know me can attest for my dislike of most trees on a golf course.   ;D

But those trees behind the first green are just fine.  They are native evergreens that don't impact play nor I would guess agronomy.

+1

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »

+1

I still say take them down!!!!! :) ;)
H.P.S.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »

They are going, have patience, the course was completely treed three years ago!
It's like the hedge, you don't win every battle on the first round.
-

Ian Andrew

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:12 PM »

Some initial dunes work has begun on the 6th.
Greenside bunkers on 6th were re-done last year, looks more like the rest of the early bunkering.

The course will have dunes from the 4th through 6th when done.
This will take time as budgets allow.

Biggest change recently was the crowned fairway is gone on the 6th.
Replaced with ripples and rumples shaped with a sand pro.
-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back