News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Re: Rules for Americans playing links golf for the first time.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
I agree about Stableford in individual games, but it might be more fun playing match play four balls and some foursomes.   Four ball matches move along quickly if anyone out of the hole picks up, and foursomes is just a fast game.

[whine]I came all this way and I want to play my own ball all the way around[/whine]  Foursomes is golf at its best. Too bad it just doesn't work in the US.

One rule that truly applies to links golf - carry only one club with a loft of over 50 degrees. You won't need others.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
If you play 36 in a single day, play foursome or greensome (if you want more competitive matches) in the afternoon.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »
I know it's a polarizing issue for the locals- but if you have the budget for it, why not take a caddy? For some it (UK trip)might be a once in a lifetime experience, isn't it more enjoyable to stroll totally unencumbered

Not having my clubs at hand is to me a greater encumbrance to than carrying/pulling/pushing them myself. And experiencing the game through an intermediary like a caddie is a further encumbrance (for me). And God forbid you get a caddie who thinks he's supposed to be funny or entertaining.

So yeah if you get a single bagging caddie who keeps up and shuts up it's fine once you get used to the unusual rhythm of playing that way. But to me, still not a treat under even ideal circumstances.

I gladly use caddies if they are a required part of a club's culture. Otherwise, take a pass. All just my own quirky take I know.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
Bill,

play bogey golf against the course. It is also better to ease into 'links' golf by playing some of the lesser known and shorter courses.

Have fun,

Jon

Carl Johnson

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »
I know it's a polarizing issue for the locals- but if you have the budget for it, why not take a caddy? For some it (UK trip)might be a once in a lifetime experience, isn't it more enjoyable to stroll totally unencumbered

Not having my clubs at hand is to me a greater encumbrance to than carrying/pulling/pushing them myself. And experiencing the game through an intermediary like a caddie is a further encumbrance (for me). And God forbid you get a caddie who thinks he's supposed to be funny or entertaining.

So yeah if you get a single bagging caddie who keeps up and shuts up it's fine once you get used to the unusual rhythm of playing that way. But to me, still not a treat under even ideal circumstances.

I gladly use caddies if they are a required part of a club's culture. Otherwise, take a pass. All just my own quirky take I know.

I've either used or had caddies in my group in GBI maybe 50% of the time I've played there.  Some are really good to play with, some are a-holes, and some are clueless -- just like society as a whole.  The worst I've ever experienced were at Royal Portrush.  In the USA I've had caddies (because you must mostly take them) at my son's club in Connecticut, and on balance those caddies were better than the GBI caddies I'd experienced.  For Ayrshire County, again, mixed.  Personally, I'd rather do it without a caddie, but got to admit that these guys can often be extremely helpful locating really errant shots.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »
I grew tired of caddies around the same time I started avoiding the paperboy. When did they all become adults?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
Try the haggis.
Drink the single malt.
Spend loads of money in the pro shop and the clubhouse.
Drive on the left.
Befriend the locals.
Have a fish supper from the local chippie.
Don't discuss Irish politics.

There's loads more, but this'll do for starters.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 06:31:19 PM »
Has a Brit EVER taken two pairs of shoes on a golf trip? I know I haven't.

I've a match against the R&A at Royal Porthcawl next week, will take a rain jacket and brolly but certainly no waterproof trousers. Shorts or plus fours are better for the wet.

If you take a caddy try getting artisans, they tend to be more interested in the game. Don't over tip, it ruins it for everyone, £40+ tip means £50 not £60 or £70.
Cave Nil Vino

Rees Milikin

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
Try the haggis.
Drink the single malt.
Spend loads of money in the pro shop and the clubhouse.
Drive on the left.
Befriend the locals.
Have a fish supper from the local chippie.
Don't discuss Irish politics.

F.

Play with Martin and have an awesome time!  If we can play a course in Orlando and have a blast, I can't imagine how good it might be in Scotland.

Paul Gray

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »
Don't even think about playing without a caddy.

Hmmm I'd say don't even think about playing with a caddy.

Agreed.

Part of the experience, in fact integral to the experience, is working out the course for yourself. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

JJShanley

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »

Try the haggis.  Yep.
Drink the single malt.  Yep.
Spend loads of money in the pro shop and the clubhouse.  Yep.
Drive on the left.  Yep.
Befriend the locals.  Maybe.
Have a fish supper from the local chippie.  Definitely.
Don't discuss Irish politics.  Correct.  Pensions are a sore point.

F.

Sam Krume

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 04:28:59 AM »
the one thing that you must do is, accept the bounce. If  there is a little breeze, forget the notion of a yardage book. Use the ground as much as you use the air and SMILE...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 05:42:12 AM »
I know of only 2 courses in the world where i'd be tempted to take a caddy. One is TOC the other Prestwick.
Another tip.   Get rid of all your 3.1/2inch tees. they'll break in the firm ground and there's not always a convenient bin. You don't want to be the litter group do you?
2.1/4 tees. only need the tip in the ground and they don't break.

Enjoy your trip.

(PS Glasgow Gailes has fir trees and and links turf. It belongs in this discussion and might make your group feel more at ease on their first round.)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bob Montle

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »

[whine]I came all this way and I want to play my own ball all the way around[/whine]  Foursomes is golf at its best. Too bad it just doesn't work in the US.

One rule that truly applies to links golf - carry only one club with a loft of over 50 degrees. You won't need others.

This May, my girlfriend and I went on a 2-week low-budget Scotland golf trip. ($5000 total including air-fare, green fees, car, B&B, etc.)
One way we saved was by playing alternate shot on several courses like Fraserburgh, Crail, Shiskine, Eden and The New.  We were able to walk side by side, have both of us play, and all for the price of one ball!  We also saved by having her caddy for me at Machrihanish while I caddied for her at The Machrie.  At the others like Brora and North Berwick we both played.

As for lofted clubs... Whenever we had a clear path to the green and were within 100 yards we used an 8-iron.  The first time she tried it it (from 100 yds out) I told here to aim at a hazard about 20 yds left of the green, to take about a 1/4 backswing and to pretend the 8 iron was her putter.  Can you imagine how thrilled we were to watch the ball head towards the hazard but with each bounce and roll curve towards the green then make a right turn and roll to 8 feet from the pin!  She was hooked on links golf at that instant, and we hated having to come back to the states where you often are Forced to fly the ball.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »

This May, my girlfriend and I went on a 2-week low-budget Scotland golf trip. ($5000 total including air-fare, green fees, car, B&B, etc.)
One way we saved was by playing alternate shot on several courses like Fraserburgh, Crail, Shiskine, Eden and The New.  We were able to walk side by side, have both of us play, and all for the price of one ball!  We also saved by having her caddy for me at Machrihanish while I caddied for her at The Machrie.  At the others like Brora and North Berwick we both played.

Did the airlines complain when you shared a seat? :) :) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jim_lewis

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 01:36:33 PM »
If rain and wind comes up, you will be glad you have a caddy. The first time you find your ball in a bunker you did not see, you will wish you had a caddie. If you and your caddy disagree, you are probably wrong. If one of you is an asshole, it may not be the caddy. If you don't care about your score, you can make mistakes without the help of a caddy.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

jeffwarne

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 03:13:10 PM »
If rain and wind comes up, you will be glad you have a caddy. The first time you find your ball in a bunker you did not see, you will wish you had a caddie. If you and your caddy disagree, you are probably wrong. If one of you is an asshole, it may not be the caddy. If you don't care about your score, you can make mistakes without the help of a caddy.

To be clear Jim, I wasn't trying to turn this into a caddie bashing thread. I just haven't seen a caddy at 95% of the links courses I've visited, and I'd say very few(if any) locals use caddies.
The last time a guy in our group(2006 at Dornoch) used a caddie, the caddie was a member who promptly put the clubs on a trolly ;) ;D  and scolded him every time he hit a shot he had to search for ;D ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »

I wouldn't call it making mistakes, I'd say it's enjoying the golf course. Having a caddy tell me where to hit it all day sucks.

Jeff, for some reason I though of you playing Cleeve Hill today. Never have I hit so many tee shots dead at the aiming posts only to have them end 40 or 70 yards from that line. Now that's fun!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »
Do take a jacket and tie. Some clubs are more formal off the links.

If you need a hand get a fore caddie for each foursome.
Cave Nil Vino

jim_lewis

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
Mark makes a good point about taking a coat and tie. At private clubs you will be wise to arrive wearing the coat and tie. Members usually appreciate foreign visitors who respect their traditions. It really helps if you try to get access on short notice.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Brent Hutto

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
Jim,

At least 3/4 of the clubs I've played at in England, Scotland and Wales nowadays have online tee time sales. To me those would seem to be clubs not overly bothered by the presence or absence of dress clothes. Typically you are dealing with the professional or caddiemaster when you pay your green fee.

The jacket and tie thing is more of a clubhouse policy, not playing golf per se. And outside of Sunday's every club I can think of has a bar for serving those in golf attire.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
Mark makes a good point about taking a coat and tie. At private clubs you will be wise to arrive wearing the coat and tie. Members usually appreciate foreign visitors who respect their traditions. It really helps if you try to get access on short notice.

Not in my experience.

More likely to think you've arrived for a funeral wake.

Putting a jacket and tie on to walk through the car park and change in to golf gear is a nonsense.

You're on holiday, not at work.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
My advice would be that's it's neither the Sahara desert or the North Pole. Don't be surprised if the weather is pretty decent, relatively calm with the coursesplaying soft.

It's just golf. A lousy shot is a lousy shot anywhere.

Enjoy the different experiences but don't fret too much. It's just Scotland, not the moon.

And try not as an American to use British slang or terminology.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
It is true many clubs have an informal bar, there is however nothing worse than being stuck with a bunch of holiday makers when the serious interest is elsewhere in the clubhouse. The silverware at Prestwick doesn't sit in the upstairs casual dining room, the Oxford and Cambridge corner at Rye isn't on the patio nor do the old leather chairs of Royal St George's sit in the snack bar.

Coming to play the links is about traditional golf and you'll find the whole experience if you immerse yourself in it. You are more likely to fit in starting the day with a port and brandy than a Gatorade!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:18:34 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Ryan Coles

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
Mark is right.

Avoid the holiday makers by wearing a jacket and tie and then you get to sit with the wannabes instead. Most of whom are also holiday makers.....

I think it is why I prefer the highlands.

Each to their own.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back