News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

It looks like a Brian Silva heavy re-do of an existing course near Springfield. Bunkering looks (perhaps too) plentiful and striking. Anyone seen it or have other info? I'll try to see it when next I'm in CT.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Brad Tufts

Re: Greathorse, formerly Hampden CC (Brian Silva) - Hampden, MA
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
This thing totally struck me out of nowhere a couple months ago, as it has not been heavily publicized in Boston for some reason.

Some interesting aspects....a heavy, expensive redo when many clubs are still trying to find members and charging low entry fees seems quizzical....I've heard the place appears to want to appeal to the younger set with a lax dress code, music on the course encouraged, etc.

Also there was already something of a incident between the club and locals over the removal of some trees that formerly screened the course from adjacent properties.

Will probably be worth a try at some point, to prove/disprove the rumors.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »
Article from the Boston Globe a couple of weeks ago talking about how the surrounding community is at odds with the golf course over their demands for water needed to irrigate the course, among other things: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/07/15/renovated-country-club-eyes-major-golf-tournament-and-major-water-use/7tFDE9hoFFOrdDkC2X97DJ/story.html

Also states at the top of the article that the owners have put in $45 million into the course in the past 3 years, and their ultimate goal is a US Open.  Good luck with that.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
Yeah I had heard most of that.

I don't like when a guy says "we want the US Open!"  There's an opening for an upstart maybe once every 10 years...so even if the course is up to snuff, they don't get it till the 2030s or 2040s...

The current google maps aerial makes it look interesting at first glance, and Silva's stuff has been pretty good as he's done projects where he's gotten more freedom.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back