News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Darius Oliver in Chicago--August 25 Downtown
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:32 PM »
We are a month out from this fun night. I'm hoping to get 50 or so at Miller's Pub, Chicago's original sports bar located at 134 S. Wabash, next to the venerable Palmer House hotel. We have the upstairs room from 5:30 to 8:00 on Tuesday, August 25th. I'm thinking heavy appetizers and craft beer, followed by a brief presentation and book signing. I'm shooting for $50-$75 max so everybody will have $50 left to get both Planet Golf books to bring home. Bring a non GCA pal!  It's vacation time so we will need help filling the room.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:21:21 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

Re: Darius Oliver in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »
I hope everyone who can will make this event. We hosted Darius at Town & Country in St. Paul this past Thursday evening and he was a spectacular speaker. The event happened to coincide with a visit by Jeff Mingay. Darius and Jeff spoke and conducted a Q&A session that lasted over two hours.

The only other person I've met with the same type encyclopedic mind for golf courses is Tom Doak. If you go and see Darius speak you will not be disappointed!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:07:43 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

CJames

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
Terry, I will be there.  With Cape Wickham set to formally open in November, I believe, Darius's presentation will surely be of great interest.  Thanks for organizing. 

Neil Johnston

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:36 PM »
Apologies may have missed the original post. Is there a firm date set in August for this gathering?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:22:06 AM »
Apologies may have missed the original post. Is there a firm date set in August for this gathering?
Post edited. Thanks!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Way

Re: Darius Oliver in Chicago--August 25 Downtown
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
I'm in, and will invite some golf geek buddies if we still have room left when it gets a little closer.

Thank you for putting this together Terry.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
As Pat says, we had a great time at Town & Country in St. Paul. Darius is a treat to listen to, and his books are "must haves" for anyone and everyone who frequents this site .. some of the very best publications in golf.

Have fun!
jeffmingay.com

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
Jeff Mingay,

We'd love to have you reprise your role here in Chicago.  Maybe play a round earlier in the day or the following day?  The line's in the water.  Let me know if you can...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
Thanks for the flattering invite, Terry, that sounds like fun .. any excuse to get to Chicago is a good one. I'm scheduled to be in British Columbia that week, though. Another time, I hope!
jeffmingay.com

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
Terry,

I plan to attend.

Greg

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
Should be able to make this, count me in. 

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Terry;  I have a hearing in Akron Ohio at 9 am.  Should be short so I will try to make it back.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »
Keep it coming. We need bodies!

JJShanley

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
I won't know if I can attend for a little while yet, but I hope to do so. 

John McCarthy

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
Sign me up.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mark Smolens

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
Terry, right now I'm at two (Brian Coffman and myself). Will advise as I hear from others...

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »
Unfortunately my daughter leaves the following day for college, so I'm iffy at this point, but I'm still working it!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
David Esler will join us.

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
David redid the Mt Prospect golf course which just reopened this past weekend..it would be nice/polite if he was given time to discuss it,esp in light of what he did there
http://www.mppd.org/golf/golf-course-renovation

197 played, only 3 to go!!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
David redid the Mt Prospect golf course which just reopened this past weekend..it would be nice/polite if he was given time to discuss it,esp in light of what he did there

Wow,

Looks much better than the version I remember from IJGA days in the early 90's.  I see some similarities to his work are Ravisloe (which was likely more of a renovation). 

I'll have a better idea as it nears if I can make the event, as kids are back to school and I'm about a 2 hour drive.  Sounds like a great time.

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »

Wow,

Looks much better than the version I remember from IJGA days in the early 90's.  I see some similarities to his work are Ravisloe (which was likely more of a renovation). 

I'll have a better idea as it nears if I can make the event, as kids are back to school and I'm about a 2 hour drive.  Sounds like a great time.

From the videos on their website, Mt. Prospect appears to be infinately better.
H.P.S.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »

From the videos on their website, Mt. Prospect appears to be infinately better.

I've heard he'll be doing some work on Bull Valley in the near future as well.  Not sure the extent, but the course has pretty good bones in my opinion to work with.

Jason Way

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »
I have 2 definite maybes from my gang.  Will confirm when it gets a little closer.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Terry Lavin

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
Dan Moore plus one will attend.

Esler will surely have the floor to tell us the prospect for the suburban redo and to regale us about Pacific Gailes.

PThomas

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »
Hope to be there, will confirm asap
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back