News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Cowden

Re: Ireland Trip - Recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »
Too funny, Rob.  I just checked out the  Eglington on Trip Advisor.   I've never seen such poor reviews!  I'm amazed the place can stay open. 

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »
About driving.   I am a spoiled American so I guess I can't really appreciate the roads elsewhere.   When you say the driving is brutal, please elaborate?  It doesn't bother me to drive four hours.

Figure on averaging 30-35 MPH

Rob Marshall

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
Too funny, Rob.  I just checked out the  Eglington on Trip Advisor.   I've never seen such poor reviews!  I'm amazed the place can stay open.

Two of the reviews were from my trip there. Two nights there was two to many but the weather was beautiful and the town was packed. No other option for us. It was the only place available which was no mystery for us after the first night. I have no idea how they are still in business.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

archie_struthers

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
 8)

Portstewart is lots of fun , members quite friendly and might be your caddy , Castle,rock also good.

John Cowden

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »
The collective wisdom of GCA prevails.

Ballyliffen cancelled, to be rebooked for another time together with the other delights of Rosapenna and Inishowen.  Is this Ireland's Kintyre penninsula?

Castlerock is now on the rota, and from all reports it well should be.  Less driving, more golf, more Guinness.

[/size][size=78%] I played Portstewart in a near-gale in 2010; loved the front nine; wonderful dune holes.  But with a chatty bettor in the group, I have few good memories of the play in.  No matter; I'll take Connie to the first tee and show her one of the amazing opening vistas on the Emerald Isle.  [/size]
[/size]
[/size]Five days in Portrush--lots of time to enjoy the local golf delights before heading back south to Ardglass (one round) and RCD (three rounds in two days). [size=78%]

[/size]With apologies for going overboard, anticipation is [at least] half the fun.[size=78%]

[/size]Cheers.[size=78%]

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 03:42:36 AM »
Try the Adelphi in Portrush.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 03:53:51 AM »
Martin thanks for the info on times.

JCowen, if you want more golf, there's a third 9 at Castlerock that gets some love here. Also if you want a quick 9 (or less) try the Old course at Portstewart. It's on the right as you drive from Portrush into Porstewart, whereas the Club today is on the far side of town. Play early or late so you have the course to yourself (£15.00 honesty box in 2008) play the holes on the sea side of the road and no more than one up the hill and oneback down again (lovely tee shot across a diagonal line of gorse). 
With unirrigated turf it plays very short but is one of the last true links experiences going. Also the P&P at Portrush is where McDowell honed his short game. I understand much will be lost when they build 2 holes to replace the ones the Valley Course will lose for the Open.  Drop in to the Ramore Clubhouse to see McDowell's US Open Trophy.

Happy to consult the cousins re current restaurant recommendations for you.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Doug Wright

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
 Headed to Ireland late September, primarily focused on the northwest. Here is our itinerary:

Castlerock GC
Portrush Valley and Portrush Dunluce
Ballyliffin Glashedy and Old
North West GC and Narin & Portnoo
Cruit Island and Dunfanaghy GC
Rosapenna Old Tom Morris and Sandy Hills
Rosapenna Old Tom Morris and Portsalon

Appreciate any lodging thoughts around Ballyliffin/Buncrana and Portnoo.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »
Headed to Ireland late September, primarily focused on the northwest. Here is our itinerary:

Castlerock GC

Doug-very jealous
That might be the best collection I've seen.
Day 4 is a bit of a logistical nightmare though-might be better to play Portsalon that day rather than N&P, then play Narin and Portnoo the next day with nearby(ish) Cruit.
Play Dunfanaghy in Portsalon's place the last day
Stay in Portrush first two nights, Buncrana the next night (or 2), and Dunfanaghy or Rosapena the last 4 (or 3)
Not much in Narin and Portnoo and it's away from all the rest

Looks like a blast-If you give a pass to second round at OTM slip over to Otway in Rathmullen "where the sheep wear helmets" or Gweedore-the gold standard of angles.
Used to love the OTM course but all the changes /ugly hotel/clubhouse have spoiled what charm/continuity there was in the OTM holes (former front nine --well starting on the second 1/2 of the old  ::) ::) second hole-now the back nine)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:42:16 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Doug Wright

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff, love the suggestions of Otway or Gweedore--sound like my kind of courses! We're staying at the Rosapenna hotel and thus we get a break on the golf fees, which is why the double play at OTM is scheduled. Regarding Day 4, yes it will be a slog to get over to N&P but we think it's doable.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 06:44:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff, love the suggestions of Otway or Gweedore--sound like my kind of courses! We're staying at the Rosapenna hotel and thus we get a break on the golf fees, which is why the double play at OTM is scheduled. Regarding Day 4, yes it will be a slog to get over to N&P but we think it's doable.

both 9 holers-Otway very small-4 fairways for 9 holes
Can't say I recommend Rosapena Hotel-the gold standard of sterility and blue haired rude Continentals
Buncrana was a fun town-I'd rec that over Ballyliffin-though the people at ballyliffin are very friendly
can't see where Portnoo lodging would fit in
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »

Castlerock GC

Doug-very jealous
That might be the best collection I've seen.
Day 4 is a bit of a logistical nightmare though-might be better to play Portsalon that day rather than N&P, then play Narin and Portnoo the next day with nearby(ish) Cruit.
Play Dunfanaghy in Portsalon's place the last day
Stay in Portrush first two nights, Buncrana the next night (or 2), and Dunfanaghy or Rosapena the last 4 (or 3)
Not much in Narin and Portnoo and it's away from all the rest

Looks like a blast-If you give a pass to second round at OTM slip over to Otway in Rathmullen "where the sheep wear helmets" or Gweedore-the gold standard of angles.
Used to love the OTM course but all the changes /ugly hotel/clubhouse have spoiled what charm/continuity there was in the OTM holes (former front nine-now the back nine)

There is a great B&B directly across the street from Ballylifin. Run by a very nice women. Check trip adviser

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1389849-d3833812-Reviews-Ballyliffin_B_B-Ballyliffin_County_Donegal.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:12:01 PM by Rob Marshall »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 08:15:29 PM »
I know Jeff likes Portsalon and it's worth a look but you are wasting your time IMO playing Old Tom Morris twice. If you want to stay there play Sandy Hills twice. The Tom Morris section is only 9 holes and even the members will tell you the new nine is not very good.

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
Buy an Open fairways card -as low as 19 euro.
1 card can book an entire foursome-so pays for itself first time used

25% off and 2 for 1 at some places
Portsalon 40 euro-25%=30 euro--may be the best bargain in golf

(Sometimes the internet rate is lower than the Open fairways rate so do your diligence)

saves hundreds every trip each for my travelling companions-while courses still honor my PGA comp

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 04:35:34 AM »
I know Jeff likes Portsalon and it's worth a look but you are wasting your time IMO playing Old Tom Morris twice. If you want to stay there play Sandy Hills twice. The Tom Morris section is only 9 holes and even the members will tell you the new nine is not very good.

I think the OTM front nine was my favourite nine of the Donegal trip.  By far more cohesive, tight knit and flowing than anything else at Rosapenna.  More interesting greens as well.   Still, I wouldn't play it twice.  In fact, unless one is looking to hunker down for a few days of easy access golf at a reasonable all-inclusive price I would skip Rosapenna altogether.  Sandy Hills is purposely very difficult and if any wind is about it can be horrendous.  Many fairways are narrow gatherers, but if you are slightly off target its jungle country.  Many greens are raised with little opportunity for a bounce in.  Its as if the design is trying to ignore the fact that wind exists. Granted, its a tough property to design a course and probably needed a ton more dozer work (and thus money) to get a very good playable course online. 

Portsalon and Narin & Portnoo were my two favourites in Donegal with Rosa OTM a distant third and Sandy Hills nowhere to be seen.  But none of the courses impressed me that much.  Still the area is quite cheap for golf, extremely pretty and relatively devoid of touristas. 

The course I wish I played was Cruit.  I walked most of it and it looked as good as anything else on the trip. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 06:06:09 AM »
I was in area couple of times last year and played almost all of the courses mentioned. Driving is not quick but the scenary is wonderful. Use the ferry across the River Foyle.

I suggest a 3 base trip - 1 base to cover the Portrush/Castlerock/Portstewart area. Another to cover Ballyliffin/North West GC and another base to cover the central/southern part of Donegal.

Not sure of accommodation for the P/C/P area but The Strand at Ballyliffin is fine and Dunfanaghy (B&B/Arnolds Hotel?) would be a good base - as from Dunf' you can cover N&P (1 hr), Cruit and Gweedore (40 mins), Dunf' itself, Rosapenna (20 mins) and Portsalon and Otway (35 mins) from there.

As to the golf, well the bigger names speak for themselves, Cruit Island shouldn't be missed and Dunfanaghy is joyous and underated.

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy all the courses - if you have the time, take the opportunity to play some of the less known ones as warm-ups to the main courses, ones like the epic Bann at Castlerock, or the par-3 course at Rathmore/Portrush, or the 9-holer at Buncrana. There's a crazy 12-holer at Rosapenna by the driving range with huge undulations that looks a hoot.

Have a great time and post some pix.

atb
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:28:02 AM by Thomas Dai »

Martin Toal

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:01 AM »
Note to OP. Avoid the use of the word 'Ulster' unless discussing a breakfast fry up of potato bread, sausages and other cholesterol laden foods.

Northern Ireland is the correct term for the bit which contains Portrush, Castlerock etc, and Donegal is in the Republic of Ireland, across a border which runs along the edge of Derry.

However, all of the above places are in Ulster, which is one of the old provinces of Ireland, although outside Gaelic Football and Rugby, the word has been appropriated as a loyalist term for a loyalist Northern Ireland.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
My last trip was about 7 years ago now. We had a tour guide -- Jimmy O'Leary from JOL Tours. Not only did he drive the bus, but he got us incredible discounts from the rack rates at both hotels and courses. Couldn't recommend him more.

If you're up near Portrush, there's a shortish course not far away called Ballycastle. Up and down the coast, with incredible views when the rain wasn't blowing sideways. One of our most fun rounds...

When they ask you "what do you play at?" they want to know what your handicap is... have a great trip.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 08:03:55 AM »
I like the Mulranny recommendation, it is a treat unlike any other( but only if you are in the area). If you only have time for 18 at Carne play the back 9 of the original and the new 9. For me Carne and Ardglass were the 2 most dramatic courses I played on a recent 16 course journey around Ireland. If at RCD I HIGHLY recommend Cherryhill Lodge just outside of Newcastle at the base of Slieve Donard, a wonderful B&B with great owners. Courses in the South are good deals as the Euro is not so dear as in the past, the same cannot be said of the pound in the North,
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back