News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Ireland Trip - Recommendations?
« on: July 25, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
I am planning a trip to Ireland with a couple friends the week before Labor Day.    Only can take a week off so no time to hit Scotland.   So far, we have a tee time at Royal Portrush and Ballybunion (Old).   Waitlisted at Royal County Down, but it looks good.   Aside from Lahinch, any other recommendations?    Does it make sense to try to hit western Scotland, say Turnberry?   Any advice would be much appreciated!

Rory Connaughton

Re: Ireland Trip - Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:49:47 PM »
Stop at Enniscrone on the way between Ballybunion and Portrush.

Sam Krume

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:00:44 AM »
I would give Turnberry a miss as I believe they will be starting the work on the course straight after the Women's Open. I would definitely recommend Rosapenna, not too far from Portrush, lovely hotel with 2 wonderful 18's.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:51:41 AM »
I would go from Portrush to Ballybunion via Dublin, on the way down you have Co. Down, Co Louth, Portmarnock, The Island, Royal Dublin, The European (slight detour but not much required).

When you hit Limerick on the way down it's not far to Lahinch or Doonbeg. And from Ballybunion, Tralee, Dooks and Waterville aren't far.

You could also head over to Old Head and Cork from there. Plenty of choice!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

JWinick

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
Anyone know their attitudes to playing 36 out there?    We do have a tee time at 1120 one day but I guess it gets dark late?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »
I am planning a trip to Ireland with a couple friends the week before Labor Day.    Only can take a week off so no time to hit Scotland.   So far, we have a tee time at Royal Portrush and Ballybunion (Old).   Waitlisted at Royal County Down, but it looks good.   Aside from Lahinch, any other recommendations?    Does it make sense to try to hit western Scotland, say Turnberry?   Any advice would be much appreciated!

To make this work,
it would be best to play BB day 1 (flying into Shannon)
and fly out of Belfast.
or vice versa.

You've identified 2 courses with a lot of week long options nearby--with a ton of great interesting stuff (more weeks)in between.
Personally I'd fly to Shannon start at BB and work north Lahinch,Mulranny 9, Carne, Enniscrone-, Sligo,Narin and Portnoo , Dunfanaghy, Portsalon, Cruit 9-but that would leave no time for the NI stuff-but you could pick up RP and RCD if it opens up on the way out to Belfast and skip many of the ones I listed.

I certainly wouldn't add Scotland
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
The 2nd course at Portrush (the Valley) is certainly worth playing, as are nearby Portstewart and Castlerock.

John Handley

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
I have a 9 day trip planned for late August.  Here is our itinerary:

Day 1 golf:  Adare Manor
Day 2 golf:  Tralee
Day 3 golf:  Old Head
Day 4 golf:  Waterville
Day 5 golf:  Ballybunion Old
Day 6 golf:  Doonbeg
Day 7 golf:  Lahinch
Day 8 golf:  Portmarnock Old
Day 9 golf: The European Club

We are flying into Shannon and setting up 4 nights in Killarney at Killarney Park Hotel.  Then onto Trump Doonbeg Resort for 2 nights and then finally into Dublin for 2 nights.

We did a similar trip 3 years ago but included Royal Portrush, Royal County Down and County Louth (Baltray) instead of Southern Ireland.  RCD and RP are two of my favorite courses in the world.  It is such a great trip.  You will love it but getting tee times at the best courses this late could be a challenge.

Good luck.

John
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »

Play the Valley course at Portrush
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Martin Toal

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
For a week, I would tend to concentrate on one part of Ireland rather than try to do the whole country. As someone from the area, naturally I would advocate Northern Ireland. Stay at The Bushmills Inn, play Royal Portrush (Dunluce and Valley), Castlerock and Portstewart which are all very near one another, and you add in trips to RCD (a couple of hours east) and/or Donegal (many good courses, depending on preference), a couple of hours west.

Ballybunion is great but is a serious punt (by Irish standards) to get to from Portrush.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »
Get on Portmarnock Old if at all possible.  County Louth is very good and shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. Personally I'd play the Island over the European Club and you'll have beer money left over.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:31:09 PM »
Ballyliffin is also worth playing. Dooks is a good add on course with Tralee or ballybunion if looking for a 36 hole day. Best advice as I told you a couple days ago is rent an automatic transmission and ALWAYS stay LEFT! :o

John Cowden

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
I've been anticipating this trip for months.  All booked, mostly paid, and only six weeks away.

Day 1: [size=78%]Arrive Dublin, 09:25:[/size]
[/size][size=78%]             [/size][/size][size=78%]Portmarnock New 14:00[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 2:   Island[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 3:   Baltray[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 4:   Portmarnock Old[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 5:   Royal Portrush Dunluce/Valley[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 6:   Royal Portrush Valley[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 7:   Ballyliffin Glashedy[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 8:   Royal Portrush Dunluce/Valley[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 9:   Ardglass[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 10: RCD[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 11: RCD (36)[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 12:  Dublin to Frankfurt/Heidelberg[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 13:  Heidelberg[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 14:  Solheim Cup[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 15:  Solheim Cup[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 16:  Solheim Cup[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Day 17:  Sleep in.[/size]

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »
JC,  you're on the Valley three times.  I would suggest Castlerock in its place one of those rounds.  It's a really fun course, equal to the Valley in my experience, and it's less than half an hour from Portrush. 

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »
Spend the week in either northern Ireland or southwest Ireland but not both. Both have more than enough great golf for a week on its own.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
Agreed. Trying to do too much will ruin the trip. There are no highways from North to Southwest. The drive is brutal.
My recommendations. Fly into Dublin. Play Portmarnock and the Island Club, Drive north to County Lough, County Down(twice) Royal Portrush (both courses) and Portstewart. Go to the Bushmills distillery and head home after a few Black Bush's.
Hotels; Portmarnock Links Hotel (not a bad golf course for your arrival day), Slieve Donard (a wedge from County Down) and the Bushmills Inn.

JWinick

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
About driving.   I am a spoiled American so I guess I can't really appreciate the roads elsewhere.   When you say the driving is brutal, please elaborate?  It doesn't bother me to drive four hours. 

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
I know there is some debate on this...but, Ballyliffin Old is substantially better than Ballyliffin Glashedy, IMO.  At least consider playing the Old...you won't be sorry.

Bart

John Cowden

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »
Great suggestions, all.  As our day allows time for only one round at Ballyliffin, I really toiled over the choice of which course to play.  After thorough investigation, I decided I was simply fortunate to play anywhere in the area, and settled on Glashedy because....I can't remember now but I'm sure I won't be complaining when it's over.  As for hotels, Portmarnock is it for three nights; wonderful location, on the beach, on the course, short train ride to Dublin center, 15" from the airport.  Sieve Donard is also our home for three nights.  As for the Portrush area, we have five nights.  We looked closely at Bushmills Inn, and will certainly visit there, but in the end it seemed a bit too dear and rather oriented to visiting Yanks.  We'll stay at Shola House, a lovely stone cottage B&B minutes from town, the beach and, of course, Royal Portrush.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
"About driving.   I am a spoiled American so I guess I can't really appreciate the roads elsewhere.   When you say the driving is brutal, please elaborate?  It doesn't bother me to drive four hours."

JWinick -

There are relatively few 4-lane roads in Ireland. The 2-lane roads can be very narrow, with hedges and/or stone walls right up against the side of the road. You can get stuck for several miles behind a farmer driving a tractor pulling bales of hay at 20mph. You can be forced to wait for 5 or 10 minutes while a shepherd moves a flock of sheep across a road from one field to another. Very few towns have roads that bypass the center of town, so you often have to drive right down the main street of the town (dealing with all the local traffic) to pass thru a town.

Figure it will take you 90 minutes to drive 60 miles.

DT   

Keith Grande

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
About driving.   I am a spoiled American so I guess I can't really appreciate the roads elsewhere.   When you say the driving is brutal, please elaborate?  It doesn't bother me to drive four hours.

Picture a lane just wide enough to fit your car within.  Add 2 inches to your right wheel and there's the dividing line.  On your left add 2 inches and plant brush gorse, trees,and the occassional stone wall.  So you drive through a narrow chute with winding roads, gripping the wheel with white knuckles. And this is during the day.  At night, it's pitch black.  We went during the bank holiday weekend and the radio was tracking how many were killed on the roads that weekend.

If you have a group of more than four, hire a driver.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »
or you can just consider the roads, scenery and excitement as part of the experience ;) ;D
I would stick to just one region if only a week but I've done both(two regions) and I enjoy the scenery.

Highly recommend a Chase Saphire Preferred Credit card.
Covers auto insurance in Ireland, Jamaica, and Israel (unlike other credit cards)
and has NO foreign transaction fess
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
From Portrush to Ballyliffen.  Is this a one day trip?

If you want the scenic trip try to get the ferry to Greencastle, it cuts a lot of mileage out and a seal followed us on the 10 min trip across the water. I would do it at least one way.

But seriously drop Glasheedy and play Castlerock.  at least 2hrs less driving each way and of a similar standard.

This is the best site I know for estimating driving times. Prepare for a shock. 90 minutes for 60 miles is optimistic in a lot of cases.

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

One of the joys of my homecountry, no (Zip) Postcodes.  Have fun finding some of the locations!

Have a great trip and tell us all about it..
Let's make GCA grate again!

Martin Toal

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
From Portrush to Ballyliffen.  Is this a one day trip?

If you want the scenic trip try to get the ferry to Greencastle, it cuts a lot of mileage out and a seal followed us on the 10 min trip across the water. I would do it at least one way.

But seriously drop Glasheedy and play Castlerock.  at least 2hrs less driving each way and of a similar standard.

This is the best site I know for estimating driving times. Prepare for a shock. 90 minutes for 60 miles is optimistic in a lot of cases.

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

One of the joys of my homecountry, no (Zip) Postcodes.  Have fun finding some of the locations!

Have a great trip and tell us all about it..

I used to drive from the hospital in Derry to Ballyliffin Golf Club in about 45 minutes. RPGC to the Foyle Bridge in Derry is about 35 miles, so less than an hour too. Perfectly do-able although need to go easy on the Guinness on the way back.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
Great suggestions, all.  As our day allows time for only one round at Ballyliffin, I really toiled over the choice of which course to play.  After thorough investigation, I decided I was simply fortunate to play anywhere in the area, and settled on Glashedy because....I can't remember now but I'm sure I won't be complaining when it's over.  As for hotels, Portmarnock is it for three nights; wonderful location, on the beach, on the course, short train ride to Dublin center, 15" from the airport.  Sieve Donard is also our home for three nights.  As for the Portrush area, we have five nights.  We looked closely at Bushmills Inn, and will certainly visit there, but in the end it seemed a bit too dear and rather oriented to visiting Yanks.  We'll stay at Shola House, a lovely stone cottage B&B minutes from town, the beach and, of course, Royal Portrush.

What ever you do, do NOT stay at the Egglinton Hotel in Portrush!!!!!!!!!!
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back