News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: What's a Top Greenkeeper Worth?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »

In 2015, the average base salary for golf course superintendents rose to $85,204, a 3.2% increase over the base salary reported in 2013. This increase represents a 72.9% gain since 1995, or an increase of $35,935 in 20 years. In 2015, half of all superintendents earned $75,000 or more annually, 25% of all superintendents earned more than $100,000, and the top 10% earned $135,000 or more annually.

Steve:

Thanks for the facts.  I am startled by the numbers, but as I said, my basis for said numbers is twenty years old and I have a hard time adjusting for inflation.  [You will pardon me for observing that the average mean salary for American worked has NOT increased by 72.9% over the past twenty years, even if Patrick may not.]

As you stated after the numbers, though, I wonder if this is really all-inclusive.  For one thing, those $300k guys really drive up the AVERAGE salary but not the median.  For another, I wonder what % of American courses have GCSAA member superintendents?  I have some doubts that the percentages shown hold true for all of the 15,000 golf courses in the U.S.A., since it is in every professional organization's interest to over-report the average salary of their members to those who might negotiate their pay.

Steve Okula

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 12:43:31 AM »
Hence my disclaimer that it isn't a scientific survey. By the way, the total compensation for  top guys in the northeast is closer to 400k than 300.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Pat Burke

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 02:28:29 AM »
So, what is a top Super worth?
The man who manages the biggest asset, with the largest budget at most clubs?
WHo has to be a turf expert, water expert, chemist, artist and politician?
Who manages greens committees, managers, golf pros, members, and government regulations?
And, who fights with that bitch, Mother Nature?

Forget what they're worth, why would they do it?
Much like an NHL goalie, they tend to be noticed when something bad happens.  When something
good happens, it is expected.
All I know, is that if I ever have my own course, it is the first and most important hire (assuming existing course)

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 03:23:38 AM »
Jeepers

When I see those type salaries I have to wonder if we are still playing a game  ???

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »
Sean, what do you do and how much do you make? Are you saving the world?

The salary numbers seen here are not representative. GCSAA's big push is that they are making life better for Superintendents and triumphing increasing salaries is one way they justify what they are doing. But, go to the GCSAA web site and take a look at job listings from July and here are the salaries offered:
56K annually - MN
4K - 4.8K monthly - NY
50-60K - FL
47-57K - TX
25-35K - NC
70-75K - FL
50-60K - MD
60-60K - AZ
40-50K - FL

Many of these jobs are asking for a 4 year grad with 5+ years of experience.
Yes, there is a small percentage at the elite clubs making nice salaries, but mid level salaries have not risen for decades.
in 1995, 60K was  considered a "decent" job. I haven't seen much movement in salaries for years, no matter what data is released by GCSAA.

Steve Okula

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
I don't think you can judge industry standards by the few ads running on the GCSAA web-site either. Many, if not most, of the better jobs are not advertised at all, but candidates are selected and invited to interview by word of mouth and reputation. Other good jobs are only advertised locally. For example, a few years ago Winged Foot (that brings up the average salaries of everybody else in the world) advertised for the GCS with the N.Y. Metro chapter, but not on the GCSAA. I sent a résumé but can only assume it was lost in the mail because they never called.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
Seems to me it's just skewed as hell, like income any way you look at it nowadays. The 1%-er clubs have 1%-er employees taking care of their courss and there's a bunch of barely surviving courses paying someone a barely living wage to tend them. It's just Real Life in microcosm (including the self-justifying antics of organizations like GCSAA).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:38:46 AM by Brent Hutto »

Robert Emmons

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
The average Sup income for Long Island is probably about $275,000...Starting pay is about $90k for a private not in financial trouble...the continuity and longevity of many of the guys has pushed the averages higher with some making over$450k...RHE 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
I was once a government worker.  You work for a rich community you make more money, simple.  Had a boss quit once and go to a poor community with a larger budget.  He received a bump in salary that resulted in him making more money than many on the city council.  Worst decision he ever made.

The moral of the story is:  Don't go to a course where you will be making more than most of the members.  They will hold it against you.  If you can get it, work where the board wonders how you can get by on your salary.

I have always considered the head superintendent and pro to be one of my peers and have no problem seeing them paid that way.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
Here is a more simple formula.  A head super or pro should be able to live in the same neighborhoods, eat at the same restaurants and send their kids to the same schools as the members they serve.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Here is a more simple formula.  A head super or pro should be able to live in the same neighborhoods, eat at the same restaurants and send their kids to the same schools as the members they serve.

Why?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
Why not?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »
Why not?

I don't know why not other than its a huge expectation for a club to pay tons of money for a job not based on performance, but on aspiration.

Ciao

Steve Okula

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
The average Sup income for Long Island is probably about $275,000...Starting pay is about $90k for a private not in financial trouble...the continuity and longevity of many of the guys has pushed the averages higher with some making over$450k...RHE

I doubt it. I looked up the 990's for NGLA, Maidstone, and Shinnecock - presumably in the top tier of facilities - and the average total compensation package for the superintendents in 2012 (most recent year I could find) was 240k.

I'm having so much fun searching Forms 990.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

Why?

Ciao

Because it produces a superior product. Much like having cops and teachers in your peer group a supt or pro who understands the "community" will better serve it.

jeffwarne

Re: What's a Top Greenkeeper Worth? New
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
Why not?

I don't know why not other than its a huge expectation for a club to pay tons of money for a job not based on performance, but on aspiration.

Ciao

A top Super is worth his weight in gold, and that figure will vary widely based on where the club is, as well as how well positioned the club is financially.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:05:06 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Okula

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »
State and local taxes have important roles as well.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
Steve, don't post much, but confident when I do...RHE

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »
delete

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:56:21 PM by Sean_A »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
$400K, are we letting our imagination runaway with us I wonder ???

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »

:o :o
see comments below from others who know a lot more about it than I do.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:06:57 PM by jeffwarne »

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »

you'd be pretty surprised at the teacher/cop number too(+ Greeklike benefits)-but most can't afford to live here anyway unless they inherited their home
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:06:30 PM by jeffwarne »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
$400K, are we letting our imagination runaway with us I wonder ???
Maybe a bit but not too much.  The form 990s are available on the web and show salaries and other compensation for many of the top clubs.  I have searched for two of the clubs on LI and the salaries were both around $255k and bonuses were $41k-$80k.

Google "clubname form 990"  - there is a website called CitizenAudit that appears to scan and post these forms.  Compensation info is around page 10.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 05:10:28 PM »
Sean,

Superintendents of Schools on Long Island are paid even better than those of golf courses. http://7online.com/archive/7778676/ We are talking about the head guys of each organization.

Paul Gray

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »
Sean,

Superintendents of Schools on Long Island are paid even better than those of golf courses. http://7online.com/archive/7778676/ We are talking about the head guys of each organization.

Wow. I guess this is what a deeply divided society looks like. Might be time to think about ditching the dollar and having individual state currencies.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back