News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Re: Best vs Favorite Course
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »
I have told variations of this story, but it epitomizes best vs. favorite for me.

My favorite course in Minnesota (where I live) is Northland Country Club in Duluth. It is very good, but it's not the best course in the state.

It is my favorite in part because of what a day at Northland means for me. It means taking the entire day off of work, driving the 2+ hours to Duluth, playing a super course with great green complexes that usually plays firm and fast. It probably means food at this cool burrito place called Burrito Union. It certainly includes a couple of Duluth-brewed Bent Paddle beer.

It is, in short, a commitment and an escape from the reality of life.

If I was to play WBYC, Interlachen or Minikahda (all probably better courses), I'm probably working half a day, going through a drive thru, eating on my way to the course, etc. It's awesome, but it's not a full mental break.

I don't know if any of that makes any sense, but Northland is a favorite of mine because it is a treat and an escape from reality.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »
Muirfield is probably still the best golf course in Scotland, but my favorite is still a tie between Prestwick and North Berwick.

Shinnecock is certainly a better course than NGLA, but the thought of Shinnecock does not make me hyperventilate in anticipation.

Anybody who tries to pick the best of the four courses at Bandon is crazy. It is like trying to pick the hottest redhead between Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams, Julianne Moore and Angie Everhart.

Just to pick a couple of your examples
why is Shinnecock "certainly" better than NGLA?
and for that matter Muirfield "the best course in Scotland"?
 Would North Berwick be considered a better course if you presented it with Muirfield deep rough and similar corridors? If your answer is no then ask yourself if the same presentation enhances Muirfield-I'd say no

Greens at NGLA vs Shinnecock-not even close-NGLA
variety-NGLA
Interest? NGLA
Fun-NGLA

Difficulty? Shinnecock perhaps, but not if you play Walker Cup tees at NGLA and simply use par of 70 at both
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:28 AM »
Jeff

Bad example cuz I don't consider Muirfield better than North Berwick.  I guess I am a rare oulier, but a course which relies so heavily on its bunkering for interest and rough for difficulty can't be all that great imo.  But for this sort of course Muirfield is about as good as it gets.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »
Jeff

Bad example cuz I don't consider Muirfield better than North Berwick.  I guess I am a rare oulier, but a course which relies so heavily on its bunkering for interest and rough for difficulty can't be all that great imo.  But for this sort of course Muirfield is about as good as it gets.

Ciao

Sean,
I don't consider Muirfield better than NB either.
Nor do I consider Shinnecock better than NGLA
I was specifically referring to Gib's quote that Muirfield was the "best course in Scotland", and impying that more the things you referenced (bunkers and knee high rough) wouldn't make NB better
Given that NB is in Scotland I assume he meant that Muirfield was better than NB.

You and I have had the discussion before about favorites vs, better.
If a course is not a favorite, I have a very hard time considering it better.
Otherwise I'd just play video golf
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 04:06:57 AM »
Jeff

Ciao

Sean,
I don't consider Muirfield better than NB either.
Nor do I consider Shinnecock better than NGLA
I was specifically referring to Gib's quote that Muirfield was the "best course in Scotland", and impying that more the things you referenced (bunkers and knee high rough) wouldn't make NB better
Given that NB is in Scotland I assume he meant that Muirfield was better than NB.

You and I have had the discussion before about favorites vs, better.
If a course is not a favorite, I have a very hard time considering it better.
Otherwise I'd just play video golf

Jeff

I understand your PoV and its likely a very common one.  The issue I have is partly how courses make me feel and the cost is a serious factor as well.  For instance, I would play Cleeve Cloud all day long over Lytham or Troon, but I know CC doesn't measure up in terms of quality because the course relies almost solely on gravity for interest.  I know the course could be greatly improved with a bunker scheme overhaul.  However, its more a matter of what I like (which isn't necessarily better and sometimes its not as good) in design, plus I can never get enough of the good views at CC. 

Another great example is Castle Stuart.  For me, there is no question it is the best modern design I have seen and I think it seriously challenges for #1 course in GB&I.  Of course, it doesn't have the history etc etc so CS will never obtain that status.  But at least for me, I like history.  Part of the joy of golf is looking at the walls and sitting in rooms where the greats have sat.  On the other side of things, I really like the spartan, nuts n' bolts, cheap and cheerful type of place as well.  Bottom line, for me, favourites are about much more than merely the course whereas best is all about the course. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:10:02 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jay Mickle

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 07:47:27 AM »
After a recent 16 course tour of Ireland I thought RCD was the best but I would choose Lahinch to be a member. Fun is the key to favorite. I can play Mid Pines every day but look forward to travel to play other perhaps better courses.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back