News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

great putting surfaces Essex County East is.

There's not a weak hole on the golf course.

The putting surfaces are spectacular.

In particular, one of the most fascinating was the second green.

The second hole is a very short par 4, 285 from the Blue tee, 312 from the back tee, has an angled and pitched green that rewards a tee shot that hugs the flanking trees on the left and challenges and punishes tee shots driven right.

Bunker depth is significant at the green end, so while the greens are very large, balls missing the green pay a severe penalty,

Going long is almost certain death.

Several greens run away from the golfer and the use of multiple tiers and plateaus are found on many greens.

It's really a great golf course, uphill, downhill, dogleg right, dogleg left, templates,  firm and fast conditions.

A golfer's paradise.

And it's challenging.

It may have the most challenging back nine in the State of NJ.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:52:42 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Rory Connaughton

Pat,

I was thinking about Essex County this morning. I completely agree with your assessment. The course is outstanding architecturally and the presentation is excellent.  Joe Bausch's photo tour is worth a look. I think he does a nice job of capturing the great bunkering and topography.

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/EssexCounty/index.html?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Looking forward to playing it for the first time next week! 

Tim_Weiman

Pat,

Thanks for highlighting this course. Looks like heaven.
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

Tim,

The quality of the playing surfaces makes the architecture jump out at you.

It has some really great holes

Philip Caccamise

I love Essex County. Pretty good exit off I-280- turn right for Montclair, turn left for Essex County. I could play those two every day.

Patrick_Mucci

Philip,

During the round we were commenting on Essex County being the type of course you would enjoy playing every day.

Isn't that the ultimate test for a golf course ?

Thomas Dai

A element of centreline bunkering is fine by me, for example, I've always liked the 2nd and 6th holes at Carnoustie for this reason. But what about a small centreline pond? The 17th at RCD has one but curiously it only seems to attract adverse comments.
atb
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:04:53 PM by Thomas Dai »

Patrick_Mucci

Thomas,

A centerline pond seems too penal.

However, I would like to know what the flanking margins are.

Philip Caccamise

Philip,

During the round we were commenting on Essex County being the type of course you would enjoy playing every day.

Isn't that the ultimate test for a golf course ?

100% yes for my personal tastes.

Before I left NYC I was very close to joining Fenway, for the very same reason. Essex&Montclair were two that I felt that way about in Jersey.

Mark Chaplin

Essex County is a fine course and a real challenge. 2 is a great hole as Pat describes. It hit a career low running hook from under trees on the left of 15/16?? Two tier green and the pin was just on the top level, ball pitched over cluster of bunkers and ran all the way to a foot from the hole.....happy days.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back