News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

The Best Tradition in Golf
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:49:53 PM »
Tom Watson just waved goodbye on the Swilcan Bridge. A past Champion Golfer and a legend, with his son on the bag. Does it get any better?  I think not.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:53:17 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BHoover

Re: The Best Tradition in Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
Unless you're Dan Jenkins, apparently. He's on Twitter dissing that tradition.

https://twitter.com/danjenkinsgd/status/622146905938763776

Time to put Mr. Jenkins out to pasture yet?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:58:27 PM by Brian Hoover »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »
I was at the 2005 Open at St Andrews when Jack Nicklaus did his Swilken farewell.  He really milked it for two days but the end was pretty good.  RBS put out a commemorative five pound note, wonder if they did the same for Watson. 

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »
Wish the tradition wasn't used to make a few (or more than a few) bucks. But it's still a pretty great tradition.

Phil Young

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »
Terry,

As a way of saying good-bye to the game... maybe.

But the best tradition in golf is teeing it up on the first hole with your father...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »

Classic. Maybe Nobody after Hogan was worthy in his bitter and decidedly biased eye.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
Looks like Dan Jenkins has very little support. Still he obviously has no idea what he is talking about.

Great send off for one of golfs great players and certainly The Opens greatest champion in the modern era.

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »

Classic. Maybe Nobody after Hogan was worthy in his bitter and decidedly biased eye.

grows more bitter(and less funny) every year.
Lots of great stuff happening in golf right now.

came out specifically to watch Watson today play his last round-was dismayed to find out no bus service to train after 9 pm ::) ::) [size=78%] so I missed the final Bridge crossing but saw him hit quite a few shots[/size]
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »
Totally agree. Stuff like this is fantastic. And if anyone has earned the right to milk it, it's Watson.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 07:56:17 PM »
Not sure it was a tradition but seems to becoming one.
Jack Nicklaus was deserving of it, so was Tom Watson as they both made it clear it was their last Open.
[/size]The problem is that muppets like Faldo think it's a right, milk it, then say they might play another![/color]

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Jack Nicklaus was deserving of it, so was Tom Watson as they both made it clear it was their last Open.
The problem is that muppets like Faldo think it's a right, milk it, then say they might play another!

I think Sir Nick said he planned to play at least two more Open Championships, but this would be his last at St Andrews.   

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
I'm no fan of Faldo and guess that his Bridge turn will not carry the weight of Watson's, despite his Sir status.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
The announcers said that every single golfer who has ever played the course poses for a picture on the bridge. More proof that I have never and another reason that course has passed me by.

My favorite tradition in golf is The Masters giving invites to the various amateur champions. This could be the single most powerful factor in all of sports delaying an athlete from turning pro. How great is that?

William_G

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »
is the Honorary Starters for the Masters teeing off at ANGC on Thursday
It's all about the golf!

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 11:43:57 PM »
Watching the greatest in the games history cross that bridge at the end of their careers appears to me a ephemeral transition much like James Earl Jones pausing before walking into the cornfield.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 01:27:24 AM »
1. It's a nice tradition. I don't know if it is the greatest one. If it takes place after the round, that's proper. If it holds up play, it needs to be revisited.

2. The bridge should be revered for much more than its relationship to golf. It relates to the history of humanity more than it does to golf, in my estimation.

3. One never knows who does the "tweeting" for older celebrities. Jenkins has celebrity status in golf circles. He might have a staff, an intern, or he might go it alone. Tweeting drives interest and moves the needle. I've read tremendous pieces that received nary a comment, and other, more controversial (even jaded and unfounded) ones that garnered 100s of comments.

4. John, I hope that you are correct. I recall in 2007, when Colt Knost turned pro prior to the Masters. As US Amateur champion, he was eligible to receive an invitation, but he indicated that he had to get on with the business of earning money, to repay his parents all that they had given him. He has yet to earn an invitation to Augusta as a professional.

5. I prefer the less-rigid "A fine tradition in golf" to the demarcating something as the most extreme. Unless, of course, the goal is to drive interest and move the needle...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 02:39:19 AM »
[/size]The problem is that muppets like Faldo think it's a right, milk it, then say they might play another![/color]

Andrew,

Though he may not be quite on a par with Watson, Faldo certainly has earned the right to a farewell from St Andrews where he was Open Champion in some style. He may not be universally liked but to call him a 'muppet' shows how little you seem to understand about golf and its history. Maybe a little more humility and respect would be in order.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:36:22 AM »
The problem is that muppets like Faldo think it's a right, milk it, then say they might play another!

Andrew,

Though he may not be quite on a par with Watson, Faldo certainly has earned the right to a farewell from St Andrews where he was Open Champion in some style. He may not be universally liked but to call him a 'muppet' shows how little you seem to understand about golf and its history. Maybe a little more humility and respect would be in order.

Jon
+1
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »
Photos have been staged there for 150+ years.  :)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:00:30 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »

Andrew,

Jon
+1

+2

Tom Walsh

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »
"champion golfer of the year"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv-cpytpUkY
"vado pro vexillum!"

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
It pales in comparison to a member of the Morris clan hanging out of the second floor window of the shop, just like Old Tom did many years ago.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
He may not be the most popular person on the planet but 3 Masters, 3 Opens plus runner up spot in the US Open and US PGA, 9 US tour  and 30 European tour wins make him one of the modern greats. Only Nicklaus, Woods, Player and Watson have won more majors in the modern game.

Muppet he is not. 
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »

Andrew,

Jon
Perhaps muppet is a little strong on here and somewhat funny you mention humility and respect.  During his heyday he showed little of those attributes.
[/size]Even in his early days he showed little regard to others never mind the honour and respect of the game. If he had the integrity we all revere about the game he would have pointed out Lyle's mistake on the Sunshine tour at the time, not later causing penalties. Just one of quite a few cases so I'll stick to not worshipping the man.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 03:26:10 AM »
If only Faldo could have been more gregarious like Hogan and Woods.

If only he had the integrity of Arnold Palmer.

If only he was as self deprecating as Gary Player.

If only instead of hugging Norman in 96 he hurled his putter in the air having it land on his head.

If only he shared Seve's aversion to cough medicine.

Then and only then would he  have been entitled to applause and a photo as he went over the bridge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back