News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Lorne Smith
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
I began receiving the FineGolf newsletter from England several years ago and every 60 days a new missive appears in my inbox much to my delight. Lorne Smith is the editor of this exceptional service and spearheads an initiative to improve the game of golf through the quality of its playing surfaces: the faster the turf, the more tactical the golf, the happier his course evaluations. For him it's all about running golf and the joy derived from the interaction of the ball and the ground. Alleluia!

While Sean Arble is quite familiar with Lorne and his efforts, others I have spoken with aren't. GolfClubAtlas hopes that this Feature Interview helps spread his message as it is so refreshing to read eloquent words emphasizing the need for courses that play fast rather than look green and manicured. Target golf is an anathema to Lorne and soft conditions from over-watering send bristles up his back.  "The golfing authorities are starting to wake-up to the fact that golf is coming in for some stick from its over-use of water and chemicals," is what he penned a couple of newsletters back.

Hyper-links to his writing are laced throughout the Feature Interview. If you enjoy his prose as much as I do, sign up for his free newsletter. That's easily accomplished on his website Finegolf.co.uk. Right above the 'Receive our newsletter' button is this summary:

The British Isles is blessed with a heritage of the finest 'running-golf 'courses in the world because our cool-temperate climate helps the best grasses for golf to flourish. This is easiest on areas of well-drained, but poor soil, such as linksland, heath, moor and downland areas. There are over 2,800 golf courses in the UK and Ireland. This independent website helps you discover the finest 200 'running-golf' courses and the delights that they offer with the "joy to be alive" FineGolf feeling. We welcome you to our passionate campaign to promote the classic values of fine running-golf.

Lorne's campaign is most praiseworthy and I hope that you enjoy this month's Feature Interview, which is presented most fittingly on the eve of the hallowed turf of St. Andrews going on display.

Best,

Bill_McBride

Re: Feature Interview with Lorne Smith
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:58 AM »
Lorne plays a very solid game as well.  Sean and I played a match against him at Royal Porthcawl and had a most pleasant round.  His writing is good too, I enjoy the Fine Golf newsletter.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
Jason Topp and I tangled with Lorne in the Buda Cup at Bernham & Berrow. His sloooooow backswing is a bit disconcerting, but he is as steady as they come and a very tough opponent.

Lorne's efforts on behalf of "running" golf are stellar. I second Ran's recommendation and encourage everyone to sign up for the free Fine Golf newsletter.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
Mention of Kilroy is inappropriate. "Finegolf rules okay" should be written on the walls of all golf clubs! :)
Atb

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:28:58 AM »
Ran,

Thanks for this interview with Lorne.

Nice to see a couple of mentions of the good work Gordon Irvine has done along with the excellent team at Notts (Hollinwell) in getting us back to the fine grasses! He also mentions that it would be a good walker Cup venue and who am I to argue!  ;D Those attending Buda next month will get to see all this first hand!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 06:31:48 AM »
I've known Lorne for 25+years, and would highly recommend visiting his site, which can out geek GCA.com at its best.  I've played with him several times, most recently a year or two ago, and I would described him as Bertie Wooster, with game.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
I've known Lorne for 25+years, and would highly recommend visiting his site, which can out geek GCA.com at its best.  I've played with him several times, most recently a year or two ago, and I would described him as Bertie Wooster, with game.

...and more moustache.

Also Lorne is smart, which Bertie, assuredly, was not
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Ran

Would have been interesting to get Lorne's take on Chambers Bay vs TOC fine grasses greens. They sure appear much differently on telecast and pros aren't complaining. I wanted to defend fescue at Chambers but need some ammunition
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 09:46:06 PM »
Ran

Would have been interesting to get Lorne's take on Chambers Bay vs TOC fine grasses greens. They sure appear much differently on telecast and pros aren't complaining. I wanted to defend fescue at Chambers but need some ammunition

Ward:

As one of my mentors used to say, The Old Course has the advantage of 400+ years of maturity ... Chambers Bay is at ten.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »
Tom

Your absolutely right and I had that same thought earlier today during a discussion at my course. Especially when one is dealing with not just one monoculture environment but several grasses all requiring a balance and a circle of greenkeepers with that experience upon whom to lean in proximity.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
Ran,

Thanks for this interview.  Far too many on this side of the pond, and even some here, fail to fully appreciate how much more fun and interesting "running-golf" really is...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:13:23 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »
Ran,

I too always enjoy the sight a Fine Golf mail in my in box. A lot of sense is spoken and in a straight, no pandering way that I as a 'Yorkshire Man' really appreciate. I have yet to meet Lorne but I am sure that our paths will cross at some point.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back