News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

TCC - A Retro Photo Tour
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
Happy 4th everyone.

1st Hole

Sept. 1902 Golf Magazine -

2nd Hole

Nov. 1902 Golf Magazine -

4th Hole

Oct. 1913 Golf Magazine -

Sept. 1922 Golf Illustrated -

5th Hole

Sept. 1902 Golf Magazine -

Oct. 1910 Golf Magazine -

6th Hole

Jan. 1912 American Golfer -

8th Hole

Sept. 1922 Golf Illustrated -

9th Hole

Sept. 1934 Golf Illustrated -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

Re: TCC - A Retro Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
11th Hole

March 1921 Golf Illustrated -

12th Hole

13th Hole

Oct. 1912 Golf Magazine -

Jan. 1928 Golf Illustrated -

15th Hole

Jan. 1914 American Golfer -

17th Hole

18th Hole

Oct. 1913 Golf Magazine -

June 1932 Golf Illustrated -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »
Some shots of the work done to the course in 1903 (from the June 1903 Golf Magazine).

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
One final shot from 1913 (Jan. 1916 Golf Illustrated).

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to share these historic photos with us. I've never been to TCC, Pine Valley or Apawamis, and probably never will, but these photos are compulsive viewing, none the less.

Jason Way

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
Fantastic Sven.  I wish I had seen these before my recent visit to TCC.  The place oozes history and these images just add to the vibe.

As far as the holes go, it's interesting to see how much lower several of the green sites look in these pictures.  I wonder how many of the greens were consciously raised, vs just evolving upward due to top-dressing and/or sand splash over so many decades.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Stephen Pellegrino

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 12:01:48 AM »
These are great pictures. It's worth noting that while the holes on the current members' course (Clyde/Squirrel) have been in play since the early 1900's, the order in which these holes were played then is different than the current order. Based on the dates provided in the images posted here, it seems to me that the order was changed at some point between 1921 and 1928. Prior to that change, my best guess is that the course played as it did in the 1913 US Open:

•After playing the current #8, players teed off on current #11 (Himalayas) as their 9th hole.
•Current #11 was the 10th hole
•Current #13 was the 11th hole
•Current #9 was the 12th hole
•Current #10 was the 13th hole
•Holes 14-18 were played as they are currently

With this in mind, SOME of the pictures in this thread do not reflect the current holes. (Example: the March 1921 Golf Illustrated photo of hole 11 is actually the current #13)

Regardless, these are some great pics!
-Stephen
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:05:38 AM by SPellegrino »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:10:36 AM »
A series of photos from the Jan. 1909 edition of The American Golfer showing work done on the new first three holes of the course.

1st Hole

2nd Hole

3rd Hole

PCancelmo

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:11:57 AM »
Sven,
Let me add my thanks for your effort in posting these fascinating historical photo tours!

The captions in the most recent set of photos from the January 1909 American Golfer are a bit confusing, as they refer to the "first," "second" and "third" holes.

These photos actually show the current 11th, 12th and 13th holes on the member's course. These holes were built on land that was purchased around 1908.  The photo captions apparently refer to the first, second and third "new" holes.

Thanks again!
Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back