News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Ronald Montesano

They go beyond that. There is an attribution to Rory C., the obvious mention of Tom D.'s 31 Flavors, and the words of JNagle. So much GCA, it makes me cry tears of happiness.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Rory Connaughton

We have been fortunate to have so many on GCA and in the world of architecture take an interest in our course. So many of you have been generous in your observations and productive in your criticism. In fact I hope Ran watches some of the event and notices that we did what he suggested behind 2 opening a terrific vista.

Special thanks of course to Ron and Jim. They are great partners. Also special thanks to Professor Bausch for all his help with this event and permission to use his photos ..and of course thanks to Wayne and Tom. Look for Wayne's piece in the program.
Tom D has also contributed to our effort both publicly and privately to great effect.

The GCA gospel is alive and well in Lancaster. Now if it would only stop raining....

Tim Martin

Lancaster is a wonderful venue and with Rory involved as well as some of the other usual suspects it should be a terrific event. Good luck Lancaster!!!!!!

Terry Lavin

To paraphrase Sally Field, "They like us, they realllllly like us!"
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ed Brzezowski

Any one going and wish to meet up?  Going to be the starter Wednesday, all day.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joe Bausch

Any one going and wish to meet up?  Going to be the starter Wednesday, all day.

I'll be there Wed-Sun.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

One of my favorite photo albums in my extensive collection is this one of Lancaster, compiled from a bunch of visits:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Lancaster/

JNagle

I will be there Friday through Sunday
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Benjamin Litman

Joe (and others who know Lancaster well): Karen Stupples just said on Golf Channel that the course favors a fade and that "all" of the greens slope from right to left and back to front. True?
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Joe Bausch

Joe (and others who know Lancaster well): Karen Stupples just said on Golf Channel that the course favors a fade and that "all" of the greens slope from right to left and back to front. True?

I will give my friends Jim N and Rory C the opportunity to answer (read: refute, grin) Karen Stupples' comments (who I like very much, btw).   ;D

Terry Lavin

I will be there Friday through Sunday

Congratulations!  Soak it all in, as you're a credit to your profession.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rory Connaughton

Great first day. 5,000 on hand for practice rounds. dodged a big storm early evening so we should get some drying.

The shape of the tee shot really depends on fairway slope and hole location. The greens really are defined by intersecting slopes but typically have three high points. Rear and then one right and one left. It's not uniform.  Just depends where the hole is On the day

Kevin Pallier

Now if it would only stop raining....

Rory

Tell me about it  ;D

Look forward to watching it on TV - hope the tournament goes well. All the best from down under.

Rory Connaughton

Kevin

At least not as wet as the day you visited!

JNagle

Found it interesting that this morning on GC, "Morning Drive" one of the hosts indicated that the course is for a draw player.  So that seems to tie in with Rory's comments, its both a draw and fade course.  I was thinking about this very subject while out on a run the other day.  Rory, was correct is stating that the shape of the shot will be predicated on position into a green to attack a pin.  I think it may be less of an issue on the first few (relatively short) par 4's where they will have shorter irons into the greens.  The club has done a great job with the tree removal over the years, but I still think there are a few holes where the proximity of the tree line to the tee may have an impact on forcing a player to play one ball flight vs. another.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  A young woman working at LCC, Ally Weaver is a great woman's player and attempted to qualify for the Open but did not make it.  She stated that she plays a draw and the course really sets up well for her ball flight.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Kris Shreiner

If the rain behaves itself... the gals should have all they can handle out there!
I'll be attending Saturday and possibly Friday.
Kudos to Rory, the LCC members, and a VERY solid, collaborative  effort by all involved to really transform and  elevate a wonderful property into the superb test the ladies will face this week!
Keep an eye on Minjee Lee, with former Pebble  Beach caddie  Jeremy Young on the bag.  She is red hot. With a  win at Kings Mill, 12 th place and a. 5 th place finish in her last three starts!
It should be another great week for Philly golf on the heels of a fine  PGA Club Professional Championship presentation at Philly Cricket.
Perhaps some of us can arrange to meet somewhere on the course Saturday for a bevy and a nibble... thoughts?
Cheers.
Kris 8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:20:12 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Joe Bausch

If the rain behaves itself... the gals should have all they can handle out there!
I'll be attending Saturday and possibly Friday.
Kudos to Rory, the LCC members, and a VERY solid, collaborative  effort by all involved to really transform and  elevate a wonderful property into the superb test the ladies will face this week!
Keep an eye on Minjee Lee, with former Pebble  Beach caddie  Jeremy Young on the bag.  She is red hot. With a  win at Kings Mill, 12 th place and a. 5 th place finish in her last three starts!
It should be another great week for Philly golf on the heels of a fine  PGA Club Professional Championship presentation at Philly Cricket.
Perhaps some of us can arrange to meet somewhere on the course Saturday for a bevy and a nibble... thoughts?
Cheers.
Kris 8)

I should be walking with the following groups:

Thursday:  12:30 PM off #10
Friday:  1:03 PM off #10

MCirba

With in-laws visiting this week from Arizona, I'm going to be hard pressed to attend which pains me.   I'm still hopeful that I can make it for the final round Sunday. 

It should be an awesome week and much congrats go out to Rory, Jim, Ron, and others who have helped bring Lancaster CC to the pinnacle of the game and a GCA standout! 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Frey, PGA

Due to my travel schedule for the MLB All Star Game taking place in my hometown of Cincinnati next week, I won't be able to attend the championship multiple days as I had hoped. I am planning, however, to attend Thursday afternoon. I hope to see some of you there.

Rory Connaughton

The rain missed us today. Course is beginning to dry out and a north wind allowed some of the long hitters to have some fun today. Laura Davies still knocks the cover off the ball!

Joe Bausch

The spectators are just great out there.  The Lancaster area has really come together to make this event special.

Mike_Trenham

I was out there today and what stood out for me was how diverse the fairway mowing lines are, there are no straight lines at LCC.  This is very different from the pedestrian designs these players play most weeks.

The course seems perfect for a Nicklaus type player, high fade and first rate course management (putting will be important too as there is a lot of break in putts if the greens dry out).
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bill Crane

Rory -
Great job on the history piece for the USGA - US Womens Open site:
http://www.usga.org/videos/2015/07/07/150707-womens_lcc-history-4342809562001.html
Best of luck with everything this week.   I hope to get out there again this year after watching the course this week.

Bill    ( Wm Flynnfan ! )

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back