News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Page

Off-the-beaten-path suggestions on NE Scotland
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:52:11 AM »
I am planning a trip up to Cruden Bay (from London) and looking for some suggestions on courses to add.

Like many others on this site, I am up to my eyeballs in work/wife/kids, so I try to get away once in a while for a 2.5 day solo trip and hope to cram in 4-5 rounds of golf.   I try to pick an area not far from an airport accessible via Heathrow.  In the past, I have done the Highlands (Castle Stuart-Dornoch-Brora), Fife (St. Andrews courses-Elie), Ayrshire (Turnberry-Prestwick-Troon) and SW Ireland (Lahinch-Waterville-Ballybunion).
I almost always tend to prefer the classic courses that are quirky and fun.  I couldn't care less about "everything being right in front of me" or "testing every club in the bag".  Prestwick is the best course in the world, and I adore Lahinch, Brora and Elie.

With that in mind, I am very excited about Cruden Bay and will likely play it twice.  It seems as though Fraserburgh is a natural addition.  Given the types of courses I prefer, what else should I play?  Trump seems a little too tricked up. Also, I'm not sure I can support anything with the name.  Royal Aberdeen seems to be regarded as a great test, but seems a bit stuffy and less likely to be "fun".

Any thoughts on Inverallochy?  What about Murcar?  Any others within a short drive of Aberdeen that I should consider?

Rich Goodale

Re: Off-the-beaten-path suggestions on NE Scotland
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:21:49 AM »
Tyler

Given your 2.5 days/3 courses template, I'd do Royal Aberdeen (no more styffy than Elie, Prestwick, etc) and Murcar in addition to Cruden Bay.  Also, if you have the time and stamina, play CB's 9-holer (St. Olaf's) after your 36 holes on the big course.

Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Trump, Royal Deesdie, Banchory etc. can wait for another time.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Colin Shellard

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:38:35 AM »
Tyler

it depends how far up you want to go...

By all accounts on here it sounds as if Cullen would be right up your street. Have a search there are some good photo tours of it.
I really liked Fraserburgh, good solid old school links with some very good holes.

Sent you a PM about RAGC.

Col

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:23:12 AM »
by the sound of it murcur would be a good choice. I was very impressed on my visit. plenty of short holes with character should not disappoint. Having just played trump, it's obviously a 'better' course in the grand scheme of things and one I would recommend anyone playing at some stage, regardless of who was responsible for it.

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 05:31:10 AM »
Newburgh would be worth a shout if you like quirky courses: it's got a bunch of blind holes, drivable par 4s, a stretch of 4 holes without a bunker and is less punishing than some of the other courses up here (particularly in strong winds).  Also, you drive past it going from Aberdeen to Cruden Bay so it'd be an easy place to stop at.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 05:31:58 AM »
Over the next few weeks you'll have plenty of daylight in NE-S so the possibility for more play is greater.

At Cruden Bay, don't miss the 9-hole St Olaf course. It's an absolute cracker.

Royal Aberdeen shouldn't be missed either. It's just quality and class (a step or more up from Murcar) - play the other RAGC course, the Silverburn course, too, especially holes 1-7 and 17-18.

Newburgh-on-Ythan is worth a go. The original 9-holes around the back of the town and along the estuary are lovely and serere.

Fraserburgh and 'different' Cullen too, but that's more driving time.

And if you want a bit of quirk there's always Balnagask/Nigg Bay in south Aberdeen.

Have fun.

atb

Colin Shellard

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
Newburgh would be worth a shout if you like quirky courses: it's got a bunch of blind holes, drivable par 4s, a stretch of 4 holes without a bunker and is less punishing than some of the other courses up here (particularly in strong winds).

Newburgh for me typifies a course of two halves. The original 9 holes (the back 9) are laid out on the estuary and are really good, if not the longest and true links. The newer front 9 are laid out on hilly farmland, with a lot of gorse (although some has been cut back now) and most holes are a bit featureless and uninteresting.
I really don't enjoy the front 9, and really love the back 9...

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:43:13 AM »
Colin and other locals,

I'm playing Hazlehead next week, Thursday I think. Any thoughts ?

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 07:54:45 AM »
Colin and other locals,

Niall

I grew up as a member at Hazlehead. They keep on talking about a multi-million pound "restoration" to the MacKenzie design by Tom Watson. I wonder if that is still going ahead and given that there is little to no historical documentation I could find, how they intend to "restore" it.

Some cracking holes although overplayed and I wish they would focus on bringing a little of the open character vegetation back.

Tyler - listen to Rich. Cruden Bay's 27, Royal Aberdeen and Murcar. Maybe Fraserburgh if you have time.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Farserburgh if it were me.
-

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
I just got back from Scotland, after six weeks of heaven....

Last trip, my wife and I played Fraserburgh, and it's well worth a play.

Collin's suggestion of Cullen is worthwhile, it is odd.  I've played it three times, twice in Mixed Opens, and do like it. But it's not Brora, Elie, Cruden Bay, not even close.

The greens are mostly flattish, and the long holes aren't much.  BUT the blind par threes MAY be enough to make up for it. OTOH, if you're willing to drive all the way to Cullen, it's not that much farther to Lossiemouth, where you'll find Moray Old.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
Duff House Royal (in Banff) is also well worth a visit. I have heard good things about Inverallochy (near Fraserburgh), but have never played it.

http://www.duffhouseroyal.com/
http://inverallochygolfclub.com/

Colin Shellard

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
Colin and other locals,

Niall

I grew up as a member at Hazlehead. They keep on talking about a multi-million pound "restoration" to the MacKenzie design by Tom Watson. I wonder if that is still going ahead and given that there is little to no historical documentation I could find, how they intend to "restore" it.

Some cracking holes although overplayed and I wish they would focus on bringing a little of the open character vegetation back.

Niall

When I first moved up here 18 years ago I thought it was a good course, if a little neglected as many council courses are. However it has got much worse since then, when the council had a financial crisis a while back it was severely under maintained, and I don't believe they have ever recovered from that position. It is an interesting layout with some excellent holes (on both courses 1 & 2) but the condition sorely lets it down, and I suspect MacKenzie would be horrified if he saw what has become of it now.

There has long been spoken about a composite course from the 2 which would be some track if in private hands...

Col

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
I have not played it, but have heard nothing warning me away from Peterhead.

http://www.peterheadgolfclub.co.uk/

Certainly is off the beaten path.

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 02:11:39 AM »
Newburgh would be worth a shout if you like quirky courses: it's got a bunch of blind holes, drivable par 4s, a stretch of 4 holes without a bunker and is less punishing than some of the other courses up here (particularly in strong winds).

Newburgh for me typifies a course of two halves. The original 9 holes (the back 9) are laid out on the estuary and are really good, if not the longest and true links. The newer front 9 are laid out on hilly farmland, with a lot of gorse (although some has been cut back now) and most holes are a bit featureless and uninteresting.
I really don't enjoy the front 9, and really love the back 9...

I don't mind the front nine so much - it's got nice views, is generally wide open and has some funky greens (4, 6 and 8 are all quite fun).  But I agree, it is the bumpy back 9 which is the highlight.

Having thought about things some more, were it me I'd probably base myself in Ellon so that I'm within a twenty minute drive of Aberdeen and Peterhead.  That way you could do a day in Aberdeen doing Murcar and Royal Aberdeen and a day doing Peterhead and either 18 or 27 at Cruden Bay without too much driving involved.  You'd then have the option of Trump, Newburgh or even somewhere inland like Meldrum House for the other half day.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 06:56:59 AM »
Vis a vis lodging, I'd highly recommend:

http://thecockandbull.co.uk/

Centrally located, good pub, good food, good loding.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »
Ally/Colin,

Interesting comments about Hazlehead. They have rebranded the No. 1 so it becomes the MacKenzie Course and I think they have have spent some money on it although I'll find out more next week. I'll keep you posted.

Tyler

Inverallochy is a modest course that is fun and has some interesting stuff on it, particularly round the middle of the course, as well as some fairly mundane stuff but it is one of those courses with open views and not a huge amount of trouble so I think you'd enjoy it well enough without it necessarily blowing you away.

Cullen is also a good fun course and others have described it so I won't describe it in detail but clearly plenty of par 3's with good variety and quirk. Like Inverallochy it comes into the good holiday golf category.

Murcar, Fraserburgh and Peterhead (haven't played it but judging by its rep) come into the category traditional old fashioned links. Further afield, and another old fashioned links is Moray Old which at its Sunday best is better than Murcar and Fraserburgh and as good if not better than Dornoch, Nairn etc.

DT's suggestion of Duff House Royal is also a good one. A really nice MacKenzie design that I don't think has been mucked about with. Some terrific green designs.

Niall

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 08:21:13 AM »
Niall, "as good if not better" than Dornoch is strong stuff!   I'd love to play Old Moray some day, must be really good. 

Colin Shellard

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
Moray Old (AKA Lossiemouth) is a very good course, and with the new makes for an excellent 36 holes. The new is actually tighter and more difficult, but not as much fun.

You just need to be aware that there is a functioning RAF base right next door and it can at time be a little loud, or scary when the jets come in to land (The landing lights are actually on the course).

Very friendly clubhouse too.

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
Bill

Let me declare an interest in that I was member at Moray for a couple of years. I also qualified my remark by saying when its at its Sunday best. Moray like Dornoch has 2 x 18 hole links courses however Moray only has 5 or 6 greenkeepers while I understand Dornoch has something like 18. Whether we like to admit it or not, conditioning does play a part in judging a course, and it stands to reason that over a season Dornoch will generally be in better nick than Moray given it has 3 times as many greenkeepers.

I was lucky enough to play both courses recently. I hadn't played Moray Old for a couple of years and did so shortly after it had hosted the Scottish Amateur Strokeplay and just before the Moray Open week (Moray's equivalent of the Carnegie Shield, Silver Tassie etc.). Frankly I was blown away. The greens were that bit keener than they usually were such that what would have been a putt with a 6 inch break was now a putt with a 3 foot break. The fairway definition was well defined with strands of fescue in the semi rough. It was simply outstanding. Yes you have the opportunity to put the ball in gorse on all holes bar one of the par 3's but frankly to do so you need to hit a rank bad shot such as a duck hook or wild,wild slice.Moray Old is NOT a tight course.

Neither is it all about conditioning. Even if the score card will tell you that Moray has 14 par 4's (off the yellow tees), 3 par 3's and 1 par 5, there is a good bit more variety at Moray than at Dornoch, in my opinion of course. Moray is less of an out and back design than Dornoch with more "across" holes and a greater variety of hole lengths. A couple of Dornoch members I spoke to on my trip were actually lamenting that once you reached the far end of the course and returned for home, apart from the two par 3's and the hole after Foxy, pretty well every hole was a driver and fairway wood for the second.

I also think there is more variety in green design at Moray. Dornoch has a few too many plateau greens for my liking but that's just my personal preference.

Now let me say that I'm not suggesting for one moment that Dornoch, and Nairn for that matter, aren't terrific courses but instead Moray Old is that good, IMO of course.

Niall

Tyler Page

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Fortunately, this now has me dying to come back and do a trip really dedicated to some of these courses I hadn't considered.  Cullen, Moray, Buckie Strathlene and Duff House Royal look like great fun, and considering I had to miss Nairn the only other time I was up north, this would be a fun itinerary in its own right. (Some of the discussion threads on Cullen's routing are really funny)

As it is, I can't ignore the fact that this trip is really about a virgin experience at Cruden Bay.  Coupled with the fact that I was lucky enough to set up Royal Aberdeen as well, it is currently looking like RAGC-Cruden Bay-Fraserburgh.

I will let you know how it goes,
Tyler

Colin Shellard

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
Had a most enjoyable round yesterday with Tyler, hosting him at RAGC, course is in good condition, although they had done some shallow slitting on the greens recently which has reduced the speed and smoothness disappointingly.

Hopefully Tyler will come back to us with what he thought of the courses he's ended up playing (I know he's planning on playing 36 at CB today), I would much rather hear peoples honest opinions that just telling me how great it is because I'm a member.

Tyler was a great guest, and although neither of us played that well, we had a good round in testing conditions (although the sun shone all day) and managed to get round in 3h 10 minutes. He even managed to make a birdie on the 10th, in not quite normal circumstances...  :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back