News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Ballybunion
« on: June 30, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
I have been at Ballybunion today. Big news is that, starting it October, they are going to dig up and regrass all 18 greens on the Old course. All greens have been digitally surveyed and course manager John Bambury has been growing in two huge turf nurseries on either side of the range. 100 per cent fescue, these will provide the turf for the new surfaces. So the course will be moving basically from pure poa to pure fescue just like that. Very bold project.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jason Thurman

Re: Ballybunion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:47:16 PM »
Adam

Were the greens a problem? Or was the problem a club with too much money and too many busloads full of "once in a lifetime" experience seekers?

Mark
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
I am told there is organic matter so far down in the profile they can't aerate through it. And that transitioning to fine grasses via overseeding and cultural practices would have taken many, many years. And, as I say, the current greens are basically straight poa.
Adam Lawrence

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
Adam,

That leads to the next question, How will they keep the Poa out in the future? Do they have a plan or will they just allow the inevitable invasion to proceed in 10 years time?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
Was it "round pressure" a la TOC then? How did they putt? The grass is an annual poa, perhaps unique to the course, yes?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious when a course of that reputation and with huge outside play makes such a decision. I guess that sounds skeptical, not sure I am but I would guess the "organic matter" would reveal itself in poor green performance. This was the problem at The Addington. There actually weren't any "greens," it was all organic matter / spongy, I was told.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:04:30 PM »
Graeme Webster still supervising this, Adam?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »
Yes, he is
Adam Lawrence

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
I assume the main problem is organic matter, thatch, layering, compaction, et cetera. This can be solved by intensified maintenance, scarifying, deep aeration and so on. But the most radical and quick solution is a complete core-out. Re-turfing is a logical part of that proces. After that, poa invasion is almost inevitable, but having a healthy root zone is the most important thing.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
Out of curiosity, to what extent, if left to it's own devices with no intervention by man, is poa comfortable living in dune land and sandy areas within a few hundred yards of the seashore, say a seashore where the prevailing wind is from offshore and sometimes brings sea-spray and salty mist and the like with it? Just asking.
Atb

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
We spent 7 years attempting to unwind the accumulation of an organic layer that grew thick and dense due to cultural neglect.
In the end, we made significant improvements but we were still far from where we wanted to be in terms of drainage and performance.
regrassing was the best thing we ever did.  If Ballybunion's turf nursery is healthy, this sounds like a good plan to address what ails the greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back