News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Best Golf & Ski Location
« on: June 29, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks in Seattle, Vancouver, Denver and Salt Lake City on a combination of work and family vacation travel.  That got me to thinking -- if you were lucky enough to be in the market for a second home but wanted to have (very convenient) access to great golf and great skiing, what would be the best pick?  Clear Creek Tahoe looks terrific, but it's still more than 1/2 hour from Heavenly . . . and the skiing at Lake Tahoe has had a few tough years.  Are any of the courses near the ski areas in Utah any good?

Jay Flemma

Re: Best Golf & Ski Location
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
Lots of friends of mine ski and play golf in the same day in both Utah and Denver..I vote Denver - better golf!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Nick Schaan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Bend, OR tons of great golf, (Tetherow, Pronghorn, Brasada, Crosswater and number of public access) easy access in and out with direct flights to (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Denver, Salt Lake City) close enough to drive to Portland, Seattle, and Bandon Dunes, and a world class ski Resort, Mt. Bachelor. not to mention any other outdoor activity you could ask for all in small town package.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
Lots of friends of mine ski and play golf in the same day in both Utah and Denver..I vote Denver - better golf!

Although given how cold the Northern Hemishphere is in winter, I assume this is not typical. I believe we get better weather for golf and skiing on the same day throughout the Southern Hemisphere winter, although I have to admit the snow is therefore not as good as in the NH.

The ski resort in mountain the background below opened the day the picture was taken a few days back. Temperatures in the 50s (10C-16C) make it quite pleasant to play. It is also de least windy time of year. 2 good courses within a few minutes distance.

JStewart

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »
That got me to thinking -- if you were lucky enough to be in the market for a second home but wanted to have (very convenient) access to great golf and great skiing, what would be the best pick?
Probably Vail. The golf scene caught me by surprise. A number of good courses within about 20-30 minutes of each other. And the privates aren't too hard to get on.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
Martis Camp Lake Tahoe. 

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
Cannot beat the quality/quantity of SLC--Park City.  Best snow in the nation, largest resort in the nation (Park City--Canyons combining this autumn) eight other Major ski hills in the area.

Tons of public and private golf:  The latter includes Glenwild, Jeremy Ranch, Victory Ranch, Park Meadows CC, Promontory, (36) Red Ledges, Tuhaye, SLCC, Willow Creek.

The former includes PC Golf Club, The Canyons (new) 36 at Solider Hollow, 36 at Mountain Dell, 36 more at Wasatch State Park

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »
My house:
Golf (I know it is a bit stripey for general tastes here):

Ski:

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
Aspen has Maroon Creek (Tom Fazio) right at it's base. Only 10 minutes away is Snowmass Golf Club (Jim Engh). And 20 minutes away is Roaring Fork Club (Jack Nicklaus) in Basalt. And there's Aspen Golf Club (Dick Phelps), a public course that's midway between Aspen and Snowmass. Never played it, but it looks decent. And slightly farther away in Carbondale is River Valley Ranch Club (Jay Morrish).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »
There are dozens of places in CO. Each has its own draw.  The one variable is how much you want to spend. I spend a month in Silverthorne each year, buy a Vail ski pass and ski at A-basin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, and Beavercreek.  I also rent a place in the summer and have played golf at Keystone, Ranch and River, Breckenridge, CC of the Rockies, Red Sky Ranch, out to Lakota Canyon, and to Aspen at Roaring Fork and Maroon Creek.  Catamount Ranch in Steamnoat is another grand place.  I live in the VA mountains and ski and play golf here, but nothing beats CO.  I've played and skied in Utah but the golf in CO is better.  Another option is New Mexico.  My wife and I had a great ski/golf trip there years ago playing golf in Albuquerque and ski at Taos. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »
Kitzbuhel, the world famous ski town in Austria, home of the Hahnenkamm, has a Kyle Philips course called Eichenheim. I have only skied there so far, but the golf looks to be one of the best in Bavaria/Tirol.

I ski Vail/Beaver Creek every year and nothing in the area has peaked my interested golf wise. Lake Louise and Banff/Jasper Park is probably the best ski/golf combo in the world. 

William_G

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 01:12:18 AM »
Bend, Oregon

skiing is at Mt. Bachelor and golf is everywhere

stay at the Oxford Hotel

:)

It's all about the golf!

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 02:11:35 AM »
I live in Salt Lake City, and while access is great for both golf and skiing, the golf is lacking a bit in high quality.  If you are not a GCA snob, though, then Salt Lake is the place with 8 ski resort and backcountry all within 30min and tons of affordable public golf within 30 min as well.

GLawson

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:22:28 AM »
How about Montana?

William_G

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
I live in Salt Lake City, and while access is great for both golf and skiing, the golf is lacking a bit in high quality.  If you are not a GCA snob, though, then Salt Lake is the place with 8 ski resort and backcountry all within 30min and tons of affordable public golf within 30 min as well.

yes quality of golf would be tough to compete with quality of skiing
It's all about the golf!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »
What about Mauna Kea? Ski and golf in the same day.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike Schott

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
While not the quality skiing of Colorado and Utah, the NW Lower Peninsula in Michigan is a great golf and ski destination. Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain and Shanty Creek all have good skiing and golf with Highlands having the best mix. Plus you are 60-90 minutes from Kingsley and a bit further to Crystal Downs. The list of quality resort golf in this area is quite long.

Aaron Marks

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
Coloradoan here, and having never been, I'd have a hard time arguing with Bend, Oregon.

The I-70 corridor of Colorado is overcrowded, overpriced and the ball goes too far at altitude.  Ok, that last part was sarcastic.  I think that Steamboat Springs would be the Colorado town I'd pick.  The skiing is great, the area has a real community and is not a resort town, and the golf I have played (only Haymaker), was really good.  In Steamboat you'd have access to Summit County/Dillon/Silverthorne and the Aspen area. 

Colorado is a great option, but I'm not sure I'd call it the best option. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:10:34 PM by Aaron Marks »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
Missoula, Montana.....end of story.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Aaron Marks

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »

Based on your decisiveness, I can only assume that you've factored in Big Dipper ice cream?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
If you're talking about golf and skiing ON THE SAME DAY, where can beat LA?   Golf anywhere, ski at Mammoth.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:03 PM »
Aaron Marks...Big Dipper of course...AND Mmmm....Waffles!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »
If you're talking about golf and skiing ON THE SAME DAY, where can beat LA?   Golf anywhere, ski at Mammoth.

Mammoth is around 5 hours by car from LA.  But there are a number of ski resorts much closer.  I guess you could ski in the morning at one of them, and play golf in the p.m., though with the short winter days you're cutting the golfing a bit tight. 

Vancouver has some fantastic skiing fairly close by -- Whistler is world-class -- and some outstanding golf, too, including Capilano, one of Stanley Thompson's top efforts. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 09:02:58 AM »

I was in Missoula years ago but not to ski or play golf--what courses and ski areas are really close?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »

Mammoth is around 5 hours by car from LA.  But there are a number of ski resorts much closer.  I guess you could ski in the morning at one of them, and play golf in the p.m., though with the short winter days you're cutting the golfing a bit tight. 

Vancouver has some fantastic skiing fairly close by -- Whistler is world-class -- and some outstanding golf, too, including Capilano, one of Stanley Thompson's top efforts.

I'm really thinking of places where you'd have skiing and golf very close.  Martis Camp is a great example -- the club has both a golf course and its own ski lodge/lift.  Are the courses at Whistler any good? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back