News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

Royal Norwich GC to Relocate
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »
Firstly, my knowledge of Royal Norwich is precisely zero. Well, actually it's limited to a quick look at their website which proudly declares they'll be moving to a new course designed by the same European Golf Design responsible for the national embarrassment which is Celtic Manor.

Will it be a shame to lose the existing course or could this actually be positive progress. Obviously the club considers the move to be financial beneficial but what of the architecture?

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ronald Montesano

Re: Royal Norwich GC to Relocate
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
For a moment, I misread it as Royal West Norfolk (http://www.rwngc.org/) and almost died. Phew.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »
"For a moment, I misread it as Royal West Norfolk (http://www.rwngc.org/) and almost died. Phew."

Ronald M. -

If sea levels keep rising, it will not be long before RWNGC has to think about relocating.

DT

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:10:10 AM »
They've been working on this project for a couple of years. Ross McMurray of EGD is working on the design of the new course. They will take over the existing course at Weston Park in Norwich and rebuild it. I think the planning app has just recently gone in (but wouldn't swear to that). We covered the story some months ago...

[size=78%]http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Three-year-timescale-for-Royal-Norwich-course-relocation-project/3281/Default.aspx#.VY-5uOt43zI[/size]
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Paul Gray

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »
Adam,

I used a little poetic license in my opening gambit; my knowledge was actually limited to a quick look at the website after digging out the January edition of your fine publication!  :)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
Not a great part of the world for golf. Some decent little tracks out on the coast and of course you can be at Hunstanton or Brancaster in just over an hour.  Inland however its wet and boggy - so I guess they are combining two potato fields into one potato field.  Will no doubt do wonders for potato production, but probably not GCA

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:43 AM »
I wonder if Ross McMurray has ever thought of changing his name to Doak, Coore or Crenshaw ? Maybe even Gil Hanse. It could save him getting pelters before he has even started on the design.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 04:16:18 AM »
I think we will see more of this kind of thing. If you're an old city or suburban club in southern England, or anywhere else with a similar level of insane pricing for residential property, it seems like a no-brainer if you can get it permitted. There were a few in Ireland before the crash... Marc Westenborg, then with Hawtree, built a huge 27 hole complex for Dun Laoghaire GC to replace their old suburban Colt course, which they sold to a developer for a fortune. It wasn't quite to my taste, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.

As well as full scale relocations, there seems to be a small-scale trend for clubs to sell off parcels of land for development. Even a couple of houses can make a big difference to the finances of an ordinary golf club.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back