News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Great Golf Club---no Pool
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
Terry-
Do you also have tennis courts?  Do they get used?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
Terry-
Do you also have tennis courts?  Do they get used?
We do not have tennis courts anymore- we have a very nice short game practice area where the courts used to be. Terry is correct re: the usage of our dining - the pool I think gets a fair bit of use on the weekends. There is another club 2 miles away that has a bustling pool and social scene as their members are all neighborhood guys. Their golf course however is pretty mediocre IMO . 

GLawson

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
You ask for a list of great courses without swimming pools.  I'd turn it around and ask for great ones with pools.  I'd think there are very few.

Shoal Creek - pool, little use
Let me ask a related question.  In these current times, I hear of some great clubs that are struggling with attracting young members because they don't have other facilities--pools, tennis courts, etc.  In these economic times, it is often difficult for these young families to join two clubs, so they compromise on the quality of golf in order to support their wife and kids.
True?  A growing issue?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
There's still a pool back home:

I was pulling down $40/week on the lifeguard tower in 1973.  9 holes before work and 9 holes after.  One minute to the first tee.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
No pool at my place. 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
Aiken Golf Club
Palmetto
Musgrove Mill

Aiken GC removed their pool a few years ago.

I know.  That's why I put them on this list

They should have kept it. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Whispering Pines and most on the other sides of respective PONDS

I've seen people swim at WP

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
You ask for a list of great courses without swimming pools.  I'd turn it around and ask for great ones with pools.  I'd think there are very few.
Let me ask a related question.  In these current times, I hear of some great clubs that are struggling with attracting young members because they don't have other facilities--pools, tennis courts, etc.  In these economic times, it is often difficult for these young families to join two clubs, so they compromise on the quality of golf in order to support their wife and kids.
True?  A growing issue?
Jim,    You ask for a list of great courses with pools: Oakmont,  Chicago Golf Club, Milwaukee CC, Myopia, Oakland Hills, Olympia Fields, Medinah, Prairie Dunes, The Olympic Club, Pebble Beach, Inverness, Canterbury, Aronimink, Cherry Hills, Champions, I could keep going. My personal choice is to have a pool- but that is because I have kids who enjoy swimming at Beverly.
Shocked to hear Chicago Golf has a swimming pool. Don't they only have about 150 members? And by my understanding it its not what I'd think as a "family club". But I looked on Google maps and sure enough I saw it!

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »
Winged Foot, Atlantic City, and I doubt that Augusta has one. If they do have one, I wonder if they dye the water blue.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
Winged Foot, Atlantic City, and I doubt that Augusta has one. If they do have one, I wonder if they dye the water blue.

Winged Foot has one, or at least it's aerial shows one next to the clubhouse.

Steve Lang

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
 8)  There's a story about Champions not having a pool until Jackie Burke Jr. needed a fire water supply for the clubhouse insurance approval...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
No pool at Pine Tree.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris Cupit

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Rivermont  :D

We actually sold our Jr. Olympic pool and diving board and tennis area (eight courts, tennis pros, clay courts) back in 2006.  Lucked out and sold to a developer before the crash.  Part of the deal meant that in addition to getting money to help pay for our course renovation, the developer agreed to build, own, operate and maintain a pool and two tennis courts.  My golf members have access at no cost to the pool and courts for free and the club does not have to pay for their use either.

Best of both worlds.  Granted we do not have swim or dive teams anymore or a tennis "program" but my golf members have a pool to go to if they wish and some courts to hit around on too.  Both are very under utilized.

One of our best decisions ever--we concentrated on being a golf club with good social events and nice food and let the other clubs focus on the "country club lifestyle"  When the great recession hit, we were small enough and focused enough to survive.  I still believe golf is just fine, it is the country club industry that is a train wreck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back