News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Roll Call: Have you played Chambers Bay?
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »
I've played it on two occasions and would rate is a 7+.   I prefer it to Kiawah's Ocean Course and consider it a push with Whistling Straits. 

Only yes confirmations requested.  It's fairly obvious who hasn't played it.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chris_Hufnagel

Re: Roll Call: Have you played Chambers Bay?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
I have played Chambers Bay once, The Ocean Course twice and Whistling Straits once...

I would place The Ocean Course out in front by a fairly wide margin, and Chambers Bay slightly ahead of Whistling Straits.

Utilizing the infamous GCA "10 Round" test, I would play five at The Ocean Course, three at Chambers Bay and two at Whistling Straits.

For all the controversy Chambers Bay has elicited this week and despite some of its quirky spots – for the average golfer, from the right tees, it is a fun golf course to play, and at the end of the day, that is for me what golf is all about...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:21:52 PM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Played Chambers...

Better than Whistling Straits, not as good as Ocean Course at Kiawah.

If agronomics matched the design, a potential 8.  With present issues, 7.

Bart

Chris DeToro

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
I've played it.  It definitely took some getting used to, but I loved it.  Lots of really tough holes, but some really scoreable holes too.  I thought it was a lot of fun to play.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
I have played Chambers Bay once, The Ocean Course twice and Whistling Straits once...

I would place The Ocean Course out in front by a fairly wide margin, and Chambers Bay slightly ahead of Whistling Straits.

Utilizing the infamous GCA "10 Round" test, I would play five at The Ocean Course, three at Chambers Bay and two at Whistling Straits.

For all the controversy Chambers Bay has elicited this week and despite some of its quirky spots – for the average golfer, from the right tees, it is a fun golf course to play, and at the end of the day, that is for me what golf is all about...

Chris - How similar is it to Arcadia Bluffs? That is what keeps coming to mind when I see the course -- especially given the elevation changes.

Buck

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mike Wagner

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
Yes

William_G

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
played it a few times walked and carried...it is a hike...fun, and a nice reclamation project...
always glad to finish 13 as that is the last severe hike up hill
you can get lost in some of those bunkers on the inside of doglegs...like a Sahara desert

It's all about the golf!

JStewart

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »

Chris - How similar is it to Arcadia Bluffs? That is what keeps coming to mind when I see the course -- especially given the elevation changes.

Buck

Having played both, I didn't think they were all that similar (other than bring dunesy, scenic courses). Arcadia is much more plush and way less linksy. Though it seems to be much windier at Arcadia than at CB.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »
Played it a couple of times about five years ago and enjoyed it. Like the Ocean course and Whistling Straights better though. Thought some of the rolls to be a bit severe.  Makes some of the holes at Ballyhack seem benign.
It is nothing like Arcadia Bluffs. The scale at CB is immense.  Both have some hills but the playing corridors are wider than AC.  The greens at CB are some of the most severe I have ever played.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:54:10 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 06:56:25 PM »
 8)  played in 2010 with Ms Sheila, twilight, quite a hike through 12, dreamlike coming home, loved it, mucho fun, put me down as biased +1; note in a real reclamation they should have put more soil above the gravel base, 

easily beats Arcadia for fun, and time for play, staff was great vs Arcadia where some were jerks..   

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
I've played it at least three times (including a round with the Michael H.), and have also walked around the course on two or three occasions.

As usual, Bart Bradley and I are in general agreement.  It's fun to play, beautiful when facing to the west, and with lots of interesting shots, but is a bit arduous and time consuming.   

Pete Balzer

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
Had 4 days of tee times lined up, we had enough after 3 days. Played Gold Mtn on day 4. 

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 09:43:16 PM »
Played there once a little more than a year ago.

There's some cool stuff there. I didn't love it, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »
The one time I was there, I was hoping to play the course incognito ... but on the day I had to cancel my round to get a tour from Mr. Jones and Jay Blasi instead.

It'll probably be a 7 on the Doak scale, but I've still got a year to sort that out.  Maybe I'll have a chance to get back and play this fall

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
I liked it better than the Ocean Course and a lot better than Whistling Straits, which to me is one of the most overrated courses in the U.S.

I would like to play Chambers at half way between the conditions we faced and what they faced this week.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
Played it the same week a few years ago as The Home Course, Aldarra, Sahalee and Sagebrush.

I thought it handily above Aldarra and Sahalee, and neck and neck with Sagebrush, maybe even a tick above.  Would be curious on another play to see if the Open-related changes have made it more or less unique.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason Way

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
I played it in November of 2013 and loved it.  Certainly not easy in any, but lots of fun.  By comparison, I enjoyed it more than Erin Hills (that will be another interesting Open). 

And I agree with the others, Buck, it does not play at all like Arcadia Bluffs. 
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »
In the unofficial GCA rankings several years ago, CB placed 108th.  Average score was 7.33.  That placed it just below Muirfield Village, Troon and Jasper, and just above Cal Club, Peachtree and Spyglass.     

Jon Byron

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 12:19:10 AM »
Played in 2013. 2-ball. Fun course. Visually attractive holes.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:06 AM »
I've played it. I really appreciate the room it gives me to execute my sorry game in like at Old MacDonald, but I like Old MacDonald better.

Solid 8 to me.
Old MacDonald at least a 9 to me.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 12:48:32 AM »
I played there a month after the Amateur, on a spectacular late September day. It was both exhausting and exhilarating. Sadly, the greens had been recently punched, which made putting difficult at times. You could still see remnants of the lines they had painted to differentiate the greens from through the green.

The caddy mentioned that in 2009 and prior the fairways weren't cut so low that they'd need to paint the lines. He felt the course was presented better that way.

I enjoyed my round very much, but opted out of playing there again the next day. They were still charging September rates, when it would have been appropriate to charge the October rate given the conditions--especially after I asked twice  (about conditions or other issues) both when booking and a few days before playing.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 12:52:52 AM »
Yes, and it was a ton of fun.

I found it easier to play than Bethpage and Kiawah Ocean.

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
Yes, and it's an excellent course, visually strong with a great variety of play options, green contours and strategies...reminds me vaguely of a treeless Kingsbarns...maybe it's the amphitheater effect. Hopefully the USGA will now quit its fondling and let it evolve more naturally.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:13:34 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »

Buck

Buck, as others have offered, there really isn't all that much similar between Arcadia Bluffs and Chambers Bay in my opinion.  Yes, they are both adjacent to water and were inspired by "links-type" courses, but beyond that, they are really quite different.  In fact, the notion of them being similar never really occurred to me until you made note of it.  I would maintain that Whistling Straits is a better comparison.  The biggest difference to me is how they maintain the courses: Arcadia Bluffs (of the two times I have played it) was lush and green, with very little roll or opportunity to use the contours for the ground game.  I also believe Chambers Bay provides more options or routes, where I felt Arcadia Bluffs was a little more one dimensional.  As for the "ten-round challenge," I would probably play 9 at Chambers Bay with one round left for Arcadia Bluffs, and the highlight of that single round would probably be sitting in the adirondack chairs looking out over Lake Michigan with a cold beverage after I was done golfing for the day...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
I played it at ASGCA in May 2009, probably at the same time Paul Cowley did......

We had played all 4 courses (well, 3.5, Old Mac was in preview mode) at Bandon before heading down to CB.

My take was that it was pretty good, and the designs of the BD courses were a bit more random and not has hard. CB looked to me like very scientifically placed bunkers in a different style.  I figured it was a better course for a Championship even if I didn't happen to like it better in all respects.  But, I did like it, lots of interesting stuff out there that you wouldn't find on a normal RTJII course, pretty linksy, but still with a bit of traditional RTJII stuff showing through, at least to my eye.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back