News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Lovett

Re: Great Clubhouse/Hotel Combo
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 05:18:02 AM »
Robin
Take a look at Sueno in Turkey. It's got the wow factors of four greens from its two courses all finishing in front of the hotel/clubhouse plus the obligatory lake and fountains.

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 05:19:07 AM »
Robin,

Your point about the clubhouse getting lost with the hotel "back of house" function sounds familiar.

I was at a meeting recently discussing "good design". Most people, some architects included, seemed to believe that good design costs money. However this fails to realise that a lot of issues regarding good design, such as orientation, position of key functions etc if done correctly from the outset can lead to good design even if there isn't the money in the budget for fancy cladding etc!

My suspicion (from an architects point of view) is that the layout of these facilities is either driven by the hotel operator, or a specific desire of the client, the golf course architect, or are an after thought. If everybody's needs and aspirations are pulled together into one coherent brief, it shouldn't be too difficult for an architect to get something that functions better than most of the bad examples being discussed here.

Having said that I still feel that hotel and clubhouse are best as 2 distinct functions rather than combined.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Lovett

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 05:24:03 AM »

Sueno Golf Hotel

Ben Lovett

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:14 AM »
Front of Hotel

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
How about the Lodge at Pebble Beach that incorporates shops and restaurants also?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

mike_beene

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 01:22:54 AM »
Although these may be technically separate I believe they would count:Carnoustie and Broadmoor.

David Davis

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 07:06:42 AM »
Robin, we stayed in Wentworth last year. Though I wouldn't go back so fast it was pretty nice in terms of clubhouse and accommodation in one building. A bit on the luxurious side of things however.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 08:04:10 AM »
Westchester CC has a fantastic clubhouse/hotel.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
The Grove is fairly well intergrated as a golf club hotel concept
But the clubhouse is in a separate building that, I believe, was originally the Stables of the estate.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »
The two that come to mind have already been mentioned here:  Sea Island and Pebble.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
I think the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs is pretty good. Beautiful hotel which is a backdrop to the course, particularly the 18th hole. The pro shop is near the course and not awkward as some are within hotels.

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
The Wynn has a fairly understated hotel/clubhouse combo:

David Jones

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
Finca Cortesin does it nicely, lovely terrace with tapas. Arabella in South Africa to a lesser extent and the National in Paris is an example how now to do it!

GLawson

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
The Wynn has a fairly understated hotel/clubhouse combo:
Gotta love the secret door opening to the locker room as soon as you fork over $500 :)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
Robin,

How many bedrooms are envisaged and is it to be a golf club with accommodation or accommodation with golf course tagged on?

Atb

Bill Crane

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
Westchester CC has a fantastic clubhouse/hotel.
I agree - Westchester has a substantial hotel with unusual architecture.  It is facility like the great eating clubs of New York City and Philadelphia such as the Union Leagues, the Racquet Clubs, University Club, the Ivy League clubs ( Princeton, Harvard, Yale), Metropolitan and so forth.
Strong golden age courses at WCC as well, and the second course - the South Course may be the most under - rated course in Westchester County / NYC area.
Two Walter Travis designed courses built by Twomey and Flynn !
Some nice TV shots of the West course during the recent Women's PGA championship.  The nines are reversed for major tournament play.

Wm Flynnfan

Andrew Buck

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
Mid pines is the best example of a hotel incorporating a clubhouse.

Olympia Fields is the best example of a clubhouse incorporating a hotel.

archie_struthers

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »

Seaview was mentioned , very nice old building .

Lest we forget the clubhouse at Pine Valley has sleeping rooms , now it just has more cabins .

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 11:08:03 AM »
Does the set up at Victoria Golf Club count as a "hotel' If so it has to be up there with the best, views overlooking the putting green, straight downstairs for dinner and breakfast, great people there to look after you....top notch.
Barnbougle is perfect as well, unless resorts are not counting?

Stephen Pellegrino

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
None of the following is a "hotel" per se, but each of these clubs has bedrooms in their main clubhouse:

NGLA
TCC
Old Memoial
Yeamans Hall
Pine Valley

-Stephen

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 04:32:19 AM »
Thank you all for the continuing responses.

I think there is an essential difference between a golf and commercial hotel combo to a clubhouse with rooms, such as just mentioned. The difference being where the focus of the operation is aimed. I can't think of anything nicer than staying in a well appointed golf clubhouse with a limited number of really nice rooms attached. We had a very pleasant evening at a past BUDA cup doing just that at Royal Porthcawl, with an heroic barman who kept serving long after it was in our best interests for him to be doing so.

There is a balance to be found, where the best of both worlds exist. I'm keen to found out where that balance lays.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Colin Shellard

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 05:04:40 AM »
Formby Hall just out side Southport (Eng) has a combo, but having only used it as a function venue and not as a club house can't really comment on how well it works...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back