News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Great Clubhouse/Hotel Combo
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
Can anyone help me by providing examples where a golf clubhouse and a hotel have been incorporated into the same building to excellent effect. I'm struggling to think of examples that work well.

Is it the case that they work better when the clubhouse is split off into a separate 'Dormy House' arrangement such as found at Gleneagles and Turnberry?

All responses appreciated.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Niall C

Re: Great Clubhouse/Hotel Combo
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
Robin

Don't know how well it works, but is Celtic Manor not an example of hotel/clubhouse ? Also Westerwood in Cumbernauld.

Niall

GLawson

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:13:37 AM »
Riviera has a pretty nice setup, though not technically a hotel.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:14:59 AM »
Robin

Don't know how well it works, but is Celtic Manor not an example of hotel/clubhouse ? Also Westerwood in Cumbernauld.

Niall

At CM the hotel and the clubhouse are separate. And the hotel has been described to me as 'the Welsh Lubyanka'....
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »
Robin

As an architect there is very few clubhouse hotel combos that is worth looking at because lots of them are add ons which I can provide a number like the Belfry etc ......

If you need any sketch ideas let me know.

It is important to have a forward thinking scheme that incorporates future phases so that the building fits together as a whole but will look huge and not really pleasing to the eye

I think it's best to separate the two so both has its identity like Royal Lytham and Royal Porthcawl with its clubhouse and Dormy House side by side. You could have something similar maybe linked with a canopy structure

Niall - Celtic Manor has 2 clubhouses and a gargantuan hotel complex which now will be much further expanded with the new Wales International Convention Centre which will make the complex look like a beast!

http://www.celtic-manor.com/wales-international-convention-centre

The one that comes out of my head is Stoke Park which I think has rooms in the mansion house style clubhouse

Others in U.S. With large clubhouses like Oakmont can be replicated with hotel rooms for instance

Cheers Ben
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:30:16 AM by Ben Stephens »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:32:16 AM »
Dalhousie Golf Club, the oldest club in Carnoustie, and one of the founders of the (British) Amateur Championship is now located in a broom closet of the Hotel standing behind the 18th green of the championship course.

BTW, the Amateur Championship is currently underway at Carnoustie, with 3 Scots, 4 Frogs and 1 Inglander in the 1/4 finals.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
Robin,

I can't think of any great examples?

Having been a member at a course where the clubhouse expanded to become a hotel as well, my experience is that they are better separated. If the hotel was exclusively for golfers then it might work, but there are potentially too many none golfers going to choose to stay in a hotel within the grounds of a golf course and there will be a need to expand the offer to weddings etc, all of which is best kept separate. I'm sure I've told you of several medal rounds being interrupted by the bride on her special day thinking she rules the place  ::)

There is another facility nearby, not great architecturally, but they have kept the clubhouse and hotel separate and its works very well from that point of view.

If however it was a smaller scale hotel / larger scale dormey house it might work, but the problem of the behemoth of a clubhouse starts to be an issue if you arent careful...

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Daniel Jones

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
The Lodge at Bay Hill comes to mind.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
Robin

Niall

Westerwood is a good example of how it can be disastrous! No sense of entrance to the golf facility and it feels like a bit of an after thought.
Niall
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
Robin

Princes has nice lodges i think it's 40 rooms on the site of the old clubhouse

Muirfield with Greywalls Hotel in background is another thought

Cheers
Ben

Ed Tilley

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Hi Robin,

Even though I believe mention of the place is outlawed on GCA, I would tentatively suggest The Oxfordshire (you didn't mention the course after all). The caveat would be that I've not stayed at the hotel. However, it is quite clearly a golf facility, with a large changing room, pro shop, and "golf" bar with pictures from the tournaments that were held there. 50 rooms plus a spa all in the same building as the golf stuff.

Ed

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
Good call Ed!

I drive past there quite often so I shall take a look.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
....and if you are ever driving by the Machrie, just a thought  ;D

Niall

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
I think a good example where hotel rooms are combined with the clubhouse would be The Glen Club in Glenview, IL oustide of Chicago.  It's a Fazio course and public facility that has roughly 25 hotel rooms connected to the clubhouse. 

BShannon

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
The Lodge at Sea Island. Stunning.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
The Washington Duke Inn houses the pro shop and presides over the course nicely at Duke University's golf course. Well, "nicely" by Duke standards...  ;D ;D
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Rees Milikin

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 11:03:34 AM »
Mid Pines is by far the best I have seen.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
I like the set up at The Prairie Club. For over the top fancy you have Miramont. I also like the way the clubhouse/hotel is set up at Kiva Dunes.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »
How about Seaview outside of Atlantic City ?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 04:39:18 AM »
Hi Robin,

Even though I believe mention of the place is outlawed on GCA, I would tentatively suggest The Oxfordshire (you didn't mention the course after all). The caveat would be that I've not stayed at the hotel. However, it is quite clearly a golf facility, with a large changing room, pro shop, and "golf" bar with pictures from the tournaments that were held there. 50 rooms plus a spa all in the same building as the golf stuff.

Ed

Ed/Robin

The Oxfordshire recently had 40 bedroom extension to the rear of the clubhouse - to me it looks like 2 buildings clashing with each other.   

http://www.ukgolfguide.com/the-oxfordshire-golf-club - see the construction image looks like the rooms do not face the golf course

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
Can anyone help me by providing examples where a golf clubhouse and a hotel have been incorporated into the same building to excellent effect. I'm struggling to think of examples that work well.

Is it the case that they work better when the clubhouse is split off into a separate 'Dormy House' arrangement such as found at Gleneagles and Turnberry?

All responses appreciated.
Don't think it is possible to have one that works well. The best examples of courses with hotels usually involve a dedicated building. Tewkesbury Park is one of the few singular buildings I can think of, but the owner contacted us recently, he was not happy how the two worked together and his golf was interfering with his weddings and vice versa.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Lovett

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
The Grove is fairly well intergrated as a golf club hotel concept

Ryan Coles

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »
Not sure I'd classify it as great but Woodbury Park in Devon is a combo.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 04:09:19 AM »
Plenty of good food for thought here and I'm checking out all the leads. Thank you all.

I have found the integration to diminish both functions in my experience. I was at the Portmarnock Links a few weeks ago and could literally not find the golf clubhouse, until I just happened across it whilst exploring inside. The building offers no bespoke facade to the golf course, as the primary frontage, such as it is, is reserved for the hotel. The golf course seems to be very much 'back of house'. Compare that to the usual golf clubhouse which makes a virtue of the vista towards the golf.

A large part of the problem as I see it is how do you avoid the golfers experiencing the 'downstairs' functions of the hotel. The meat lorry and the bin wagons still have to service the building and if the golf section is kept away from the hotel it becomes really hard to avoid. At Old Thorns, you have to walk past the bin store to get from the pro shop to the 1st tee. I tried going the other way as I couldn't believe that was the primary route. I ended up in a corridor behind sports bar far away from where I intended, before finding a sliding door out through a function room. Not the designed path I am sure.

I'm glad to see there are some decent ones stateside, though they do tend to do these things better over there. I thought the main lodge at Bandon was pretty good, though that resort, more than any other, makes a virtue out of providing satellite clubhouses, each with a distinct character.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back