News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Potential future U.S. Open venues
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »
With Chambers Bay, Erin Hills and LACC on the horizon, which courses that have not yet hosted, or have not hosted in a long time (25-30+ years), will likely host a future U.S. Open?

I heard John Feinstein this evening mention Chicago Golf Club (David Fay would like to see the tournament return there). Would and/or could CGC host a modern U.S. Open?

What other venues are likely or possibilities?

I also have to admit I love West Coast Opens and PGAs because it means prime time golf. I understand it's less ideal for our friends across the Atlantic, but this is the U.S. Open.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:49:24 PM by Brian Hoover »

Phil McDade

Re: Potential future U.S. Open venues
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
Brian:

Many in the Chicago GCA crowd can chime in, but I'd be shocked -- really, literally -- if Chicago Golf Club ever hosted a U.S. Open.

I think Medinah has a legitimate shot at getting the U.S. Open sometime.

I think The Country Club in Brookline might reconsider its previous opposition.

Oakland Hills is another candidate; hasn't been there since 1996.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
I admit I was rather surprised at the idea of Chicago Golf hosting a future U.S. Open. But I know next to knowing about the course, specifically it's logistical capabilities and the membership's interest in possibly hosting an Open. So it raised my curiosity.

But if Merion could host a modern Open, why not other "smaller" venues? How about Inverness?

I know it's been mentioned here from time to time, how about one of the courses at Bandon?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
When the average age of a membership nears death their is little they can do but serve as a host. Chicago Golf is a lock.

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:44:31 PM »
Can Chicago Golf handle the logistical concerns of a modern U.S. Open? I'm asking because I don't know. Not sure what the age of the membership has to do with hosting an event.

Neil Johnston

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:49:43 PM »
In the Chicago area, I would consider Butler National a reasonable possibility for an Open, if they ever compromised on the all-male thing.

Cherry Hills is an old Open course which has recently hosted the pros. It seems like a natural fit to go back there.

I can't imagine a place as remote as Bandon hosting a major event like this, as fun as it would be to see the pros take it on

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
I admit I was rather surprised at the idea of Chicago Golf hosting a future U.S. Open. But I know next to knowing about the course, specifically it's logistical capabilities and the membership's interest in possibly hosting an Open. So it raised my curiosity.

But if Merion could host a modern Open, why not other "smaller" venues? How about Inverness?

I know it's been mentioned here from time to time, how about one of the courses at Bandon?

The Country Club has a negotiating window with the USGA until October 31 of this year to come to an agreement to host the 2022 US Open.  This is not a secret, it has been reported in multiple media outlets.  In other words, it will be very surprising if there is not an announcement in the next few months that the Country Club will host that Open.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
A Pete Dye course has never hosted a U.S. Open. What a shame as that door is closing for him to see it. Says a lot about the USGA.

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »
A Pete Dye course has never hosted a U.S. Open. What a shame as that door is closing for him to see it. Says a lot about the USGA.

His courses have hosted several USGA events.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »

His courses have hosted several USGA events.
What courses haven't?  The U.S. Open is the jewel. All the rest are just settings.

Blake Conant

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:25:30 AM »
Sebonack wants a men's US Open

CC's new Trinity Forest in Dallas seems to want something bigger than an annual tourney.

Jason Way

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 01:07:44 AM »
I would love to see it at the renovated Philly Cricket.

Isn't The Donald angling his ass off to try and get a U.S. Open at one of his joints? Any front-runners from his growing portfolio?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:32 AM »
I'm with Neil J here.  Butler was literally built to host tournaments.  I don't care about the PC'ness of the male only thing.  It's a shame the PGA doesn't play there anymore. 

I have played a handful of what I call 'big boy' courses as well as a few U.S. Open venues and Butler is the #1 PGA tournament course in the Chicago area.  Olympia North is great but in my opinion has no incredibly memorable holes.  Medinah is great also but I felt that it was not an incredibly strategic or cerebral journey but rather a test of length (almost 7,700 yards).

I love the idea of having an open at Chicago Golf but at only 6700 yards they would have to trick it out like Merion I'm guessing.  I have never played there but would love to.

It is pretty unfortunate though that at least half of the best classic courses (NGLA, Cypress, Fishers, Shoreacres, Newport, Myopia, Scioto, Inverness, Garden City..etc) are too short to host an open.  Not that any of them would or could depending on the course but it would be awesome to watch these guys on the classic courses other than. 

Maybe the USGA could do a throwback with one of those.  I'm not a huge fan of the Torrey Pines and wish they would mix it up more.  No reason to go back to the same course within 10-20 years with all the great courses out there.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
When the average age of a membership nears death their is little they can do but serve as a host. Chicago Golf is a lock.
John,      You might be surprised how young the average age is now at Chicago Golf- There are a good number of 40-60 yr olds. Not unlike many of our Chicago area clubs.  Having just played Butler again last Saturday , my sense is they could hold an Open in a weeks notice. It's that strong- infrastructure, location etc. Medinah is the most likely candidate. CGC is a great Walker Cup venue but the property is very self limiting for an Open. Would be a great venue for a Women's Open. Length of course etc would be perfect for the ladies.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
It is pretty unfortunate though that at least half of the best classic courses (NGLA, Cypress, Fishers, Shoreacres, Newport, Myopia, Scioto, Inverness, Garden City..etc) are too short to host an open.  Not that any of them would or could depending on the course but it would be awesome to watch these guys on the classic courses other than. 

For what it's worth, Inverness is over 7,300 yards right now and could probably add at least another 100 yards or so if needed.  Being too short is not the problem.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
Jack:

I was going to mention Butler, but didn't, assuming the club won't budge on its membership policy. They almost certainly would've hosted a U.S. Open by now, given the USGA's desire to tap into the Chicago market, so my sense is that it will take a substantial change in the membership's view on things to host an Open there. By all reports, it's a worthy candidate on golf architecture/infrastructure merits alone.

John Kavanaugh -- There is an interesting back-story to Whistling Straits (a Dye course) not hosting a U.S. Open that it was angling for, right about this time. Several years ago, WStraits founder Herb Kohler was really pining for the U.S. Open at WS, but -- having hosted the PGA at the course -- also had good connections there with the PGA higher-ups. When the PGA offered him two PGA championships (2010 and 2015) and the Ryder Cup (2020), Herb said it was simply an offer he couldn't refuse. That set back his plans to host the U.S. Open at WS, and the development of Erin Hills has further complicated the matter. If Davis and the USGA view EHills in 2017 as anything remotely close to being successful, I think you'll see the U.S. Open back there (perhaps multiple times) before it ever goes to WStraits.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »
I think if/when the USGA overcomes 70 as the minimum par for hosting a championship, more courses previously thought too short could become viable again (logistics/infrastructure notwithstanding). Par fives can be declared par fours and par can be defended a little easier that way. A 6,900-yard par-69 course plays like a 7,500-yard par-72 course. That's long enough.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

BHoover

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
I think if/when the USGA overcomes 70 as the minimum par for hosting a championship, more courses previously thought too short could become viable again (logistics/infrastructure notwithstanding). Par fives can be declared par fours and par can be defended a little easier that way. A 6,900-yard par-69 course plays like a 7,500-yard par-72 course. That's long enough.

Great point, Tim. Mike Davis has already indicated that he will change a hole's par during this Open, so it isn't that much of a stretch to see the USGA going further and reducing par below 70. I think that would be excellent.

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
Butler won't be an option until the membership issue is changed, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen in the near future.  I would think the location and logistics of Chicago Golf wouldn't be a problem but the length of the course would be an issue.  The most likely options for a US Open in Chicago right now are Medinah and Olympia Fields.  Medinah has the 2019 BMW so I can't imagine another tournament going there for a while.  It will be interesting to see how Olympia hold up in the US Ameteur later this year.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »
Jack:

I was going to mention Butler, but didn't, assuming the club won't budge on its membership policy. They almost certainly would've hosted a U.S. Open by now, given the USGA's desire to tap into the Chicago market, so my sense is that it will take a substantial change in the membership's view on things to host an Open there. By all reports, it's a worthy candidate on golf architecture/infrastructure merits alone.

John Kavanaugh -- There is an interesting back-story to Whistling Straits (a Dye course) not hosting a U.S. Open that it was angling for, right about this time. Several years ago, WStraits founder Herb Kohler was really pining for the U.S. Open at WS, but -- having hosted the PGA at the course -- also had good connections there with the PGA higher-ups. When the PGA offered him two PGA championships (2010 and 2015) and the Ryder Cup (2020), Herb said it was simply an offer he couldn't refuse. That set back his plans to host the U.S. Open at WS, and the development of Erin Hills has further complicated the matter. If Davis and the USGA view EHills in 2017 as anything remotely close to being successful, I think you'll see the U.S. Open back there (perhaps multiple times) before it ever goes to WStraits.

Everyone knows of the above, what we don't know is what that has to do with Pete Dye.

Jason Way

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
Since we seem to be focused on Chicago venues, does anyone know if Conway Farms has made any effort to court the USGA beyond the Mid-Am?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Buck Wolter

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
 Will the Ryder Cup be a dress rehearsal for Hazeltine or does the PGA affiliation rule it out?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
Will the Ryder Cup be a dress rehearsal for Hazeltine or does the PGA affiliation rule it out?

I don't think so...Hazeltine seems firmly in the PGA Camp. Not to mention the style and design of the course seems to be 180* from the direction the USGA is going in selecting sites.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
David Fay would like to see the tournament return there

In his old age and retirement, David Fay has lost his damn mind. You would think with his experience he would have some interesting things to say, but he should stop talking/writing for his own good. As with his recent column in GD illustrates, he's no better than the average rube on here speculating on if Bandon Dunes will ever get a US Open.
H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »
David Fay would like to see the tournament return there

In his old age and retirement, David Fay has lost his damn mind. You would think with his experience he would have some interesting things to say, but he should stop talking/writing for his own good. As with his recent column in GD illustrates, he's no better than the average rube on here speculating on if Bandon Dunes will ever get a US Open.

I think that answers my question!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back