News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Re: Dingle peninsula - where to golf with limited time and budget
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »

Rosslare is a links near Waterford.  I've heard it's a very nice 3rd tier course and it's the right price.

I really liked Rosslare. A genuine old fashioned links - flat but with lots of humps and hollows. About an hour from Waterford I think. The website has an excellent gallery:

http://www.rosslaregolf.com/home/gallery

What it doesn't show is the scary tee shot on the 1st. I was coming off my stag weekend and the ferry was delayed so we killed a few hours here. The clubhouse and car park were just off the fairway left about 100 yards in front of the tee. With a pounding headache I duck hooked it into the car park and moved on with my head down as fast as I could to the next hole.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
Rosslare is worth a stop in my opinion. Fun links golf with nice turf when I played it.

Rosslare is a links near Waterford.  I've heard it's a very nice 3rd tier course and it's the right price.

I really liked Rosslare. A genuine old fashioned links - flat but with lots of humps and hollows. About an hour from Waterford I think. The website has an excellent gallery:

http://www.rosslaregolf.com/home/gallery

What it doesn't show is the scary tee shot on the 1st. I was coming off my stag weekend and the ferry was delayed so we killed a few hours here. The clubhouse and car park were just off the fairway left about 100 yards in front of the tee. With a pounding headache I duck hooked it into the car park and moved on with my head down as fast as I could to the next hole.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
There was a very fine photo tour of Dooks a few months ago, by Brian I believe. Can't seem to find it via the search engine though. In addition, there once upon a time was a Castlegregory photo tour but that seems to have completely disappeared. Can't find much on Ceann Sibeal/Dingle either. Any search engine guru's able to highlight any relevant threads?
Atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 04:47:43 AM »
Just returned from our trip to Dingle. I ended up playing Dingle, Dooks, and 9 holes at Castlegregory. I've got photos of all and will post tours in the next week or so. A few thoughts however:

- The Dingle peninsula is very, very beautiful. A similar level of beauty to the Ring of Kerry without the astonishing number of tourists.
- Dingle links was the unexpected star of the 3 courses for me. It feels much more like a locals course, probably due to it's extremely remote location. Some really lovely holes with some great, and varied, green sites. At 35 euros this was an absolute steal.
- Castlegregory cost me 15 euros for 9 holes. This was frankly laughable as there are some rollercoaster holes through big dunes here. In truth, the land is too extreme for really good golf but 15 euros!
- Dooks was a bit of a let down for me. I booked online for a 7.30 start (I was on my own) at full rate (90 euros). No-one was there when I turned up so I went off without a card. No hardship but I then spent the entire round waiting for and playing through the legion of green staff. I waited on every shot and they were loud! On the 16th tee I'd had enough and walked to the 18th tee. What they've done to the 13th green is the worst of the lot however! What was unique and memorable is now boring and forgettable.

A few pictures:

Dingle 1st green

Dooks 2nd tee

Castlegregory 8th hole

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 06:06:13 AM »
Ed, quick one - did the accommodation work for you? You got pretty nasty weather I guess...

Let me down gently

Ed Tilley

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:13 AM »
Ed, quick one - did the accommodation work for you? You got pretty nasty weather I guess...

Let me down gently

Hi Ally,

Accommodation was excellent. Views from the property were amazing. We didn't have great weather and the surf wasn't great but these are beyond anyone's control. The one really windy / rainy day we got full waterproofs on and walked to the end of Inch beach - coffee and cake at Sammy's when we'd finished.

Had a very nice week - glad we were on that side of the bay rather than Ring of Kerry (as originally planned) as when we did venture that way the crowds were amazing. I also wouldn't have got round to Dingle or Castlegregory both of which were very enjoyable. Cheers,

Ed

jeffwarne

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:42 AM »
sounds like a great trip

90 euro to play Dooks-and a massive greens crew out at 7:30--there goes the charm
I don't remember seeing a greens staff member before 10 am ;) [size=78%] in the month I spent in that area 25 years ago[/size]
(it clearly has been discovered ::) ::) )
I think I may the fee may've been 9 Irish pounds the first time I played there
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back