News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

In a few weeks time I am off with the family to Inch beach on the Dingle peninsula in SW Ireland. This is a family holiday and not a golfing holiday so my time for golf is limited. Also, if I do play I will be on my own and would ideally want to play early morning to get round quickly. I have a few criteria:

1. Maximum driving time of an hour so Ballybunion just gets in as does Dooks, Tralee, Dingle, Castlegregory, and Killarney courses
2. I have no intention whatsoever of paying 180 euros as a green fee so that rules out Ballybunion Old and Tralee despite me being a massive fan of both. Cashen at Ballybunion is still an option as are all the others.
3. I have played Killarney (Killeen & MP), Ballybunion (Cashen and Old), Tralee, and Dooks (but before the extensive changes)
4. I have a maximum of 2 "passes" for golf

What would people recommend. I'm leaning toward Dooks and Castlegregory but would welcome any insight people may have.

jeffwarne

Re: Dingle peninsula - where to golf with limited time and budget
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:23 AM »
Sounds like you've answered your own question ;D

It would depend upon where you had already played but.....
Dingle and Dooks would be my two choices if I had only "2" passes and limited time/budget.(leaving myself a chance at a 9 hole add on at Castlegregory ;) ;D)

But given you've played Dooks, why not simply go Dingle (nice vibe) and CG?

jealous, I do love the Dingle peninsula, and feel I should've spent more time there given my multiple trips to Ireland.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
Hi Ed,

I'd think about playing Dingle as it really has a local vibe, the drive there is stunning and you can drop the family off at the small and gorgeous Coumineole Beach in Dun Chaoin... Where Ryan's Daughter had a scene filmed....

Ally

Ed Tilley

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff / Ally,

Any idea how significant the changes were at Dooks as I played in 1999. My impression is that they were a real success and the course is much improved? I do know that it was the most scenic course I've ever played. but most of the courses in that part of the world are very beautiful.

BTW Ally - the success or otherwise of this holiday is entirely down to you! We're staying at Inch Cottages based on your recommendation on a prior thread.

Ed

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »
Hi Ed,

I'd think about playing Dingle as it really has a local vibe, the drive there is stunning and you can drop the family off at the small and gorgeous Coumineole Beach in Dun Chaoin... Where Ryan's Daughter had a scene filmed....

Ally

Just checked - 35 euros green fee at Dingle before 8.40am and after 4pm. That has moved it up the pecking order.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
I havent played all of your proposed courses but sheesh give the Cashen a miss... if it's windy that course is almost unplayable!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »
Played a course years ago, Ceann Sibeal which is on the Dingle Peninsula- it was pretty good, nice views, and inexpensive. I would suggest it as it is mainly locals and not an expensive tourist trap.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »

BTW Ally - the success or otherwise of this holiday is entirely down to you! We're staying at Inch Cottages based on your recommendation on a prior thread.

Ed

I'm feeling the pressure.... I hope you like surfing?... The cottages are lovely but other than a busy surfing beach (easy waves) and restaurant, you will have to head in to Dingle for shopping / food.... And be sure to sample a few genuine boozers in Dingle as well, Dick Macks for one...

If you're happy spending most mornings or afternoons in the water, this is a great spot though...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »
Ceann Sibeal and Dingle are the same course. There was a name change. It is a pretty course but not one that demands play. I'd just stick with Dooks. It is the best deal in the area.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Sherma

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
To add my 2-cents based on my experience. Dooks is a special place and is one of my favorite places to play. However, Dingle is worth a play or two and while it is flatish there are some decent holes and it is in a pretty awesome spot. I really liked Castlegregory and would make time to head back there for a quick game. It's not amazing by any means but has a bunch of fun shots over some fun churning land once you get past the first hole. The ride up and over the Connor Pass to Dingle after the round is fun as well. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
I agree that Connor Pass is definitely worth the drive.  I'd also stop at the ancient monastic beehive huts and and a little monastics stone church from the 9th century named the Gallarus Oratory. There are a number of hikes you can take without golf clubs. Dingle is one of my very favorite places in IRELAND. Dingle and Glendalough, in the Wicklow Mts, are two of the more magical places in Ireland.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:18:18 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ed Tilley

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
Dingle is one of my very favorite places in England.

Tommy,

You are now banned from Ireland for eternity ;D

Ed

Ed Tilley

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

Ed

I'm feeling the pressure.... I hope you like surfing?... The cottages are lovely but other than a busy surfing beach (easy waves) and restaurant, you will have to head in to Dingle for shopping / food.... And be sure to sample a few genuine boozers in Dingle as well, Dick Macks for one...

If you're happy spending most mornings or afternoons in the water, this is a great spot though...

Already checking out the surf forecast on Magic Seaweed for Inch.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Dingle is one of my very favorite places in England.

Tommy,

You are now banned from Ireland for eternity ;D

Ed

And, indeed, England too!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
Tommy is allowed a senior moment every now and then!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 07:20:56 PM »
Tommy is allowed a senior moment every now and then!

Seems I have more senior moments all the time. I'll try to get it together when I am in Ireland in December.  fortunately I will be in a Cistercian Monastery for two weeks and the brothers there are very forgiving.
St. John of the Cross

Justin Draycott

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »
I have played many of the courses you have listed and have to say if you are not playing Ballybunion old go with DINGLE! Dingle golf course aka Ceann Sibeal is an awesome course. It has a burn running through the course like St Andrews. The course has great bunkering and fun blind shots.

I would skip Cashen course. I found it to be unplayable in the wind.

The town of Dingle is a beautiful seaside town with great pubs. My favorite part of my SW Ireland trip.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 05:41:46 AM »
Thanks to all. I'm now planning on playing Dingle and Dooks very early on 2 mornings on my own. I've also planted the idea with my wife that an evening 9 hole stroll round Castlegregory would be a good idea with the family. I just need to remember my camera to post some tours.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 07:54:23 AM »
Thanks to all. I'm now planning on playing Dingle and Dooks very early on 2 mornings on my own. I've also planted the idea with my wife that an evening 9 hole stroll round Castlegregory would be a good idea with the family. I just need to remember my camera to post some tours.

Sounds like you've got it nailed.
This way if they back out you've still got your pass ;)

I've always gone with "easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" but sounds like you already got the latter, which combined with the former could be epic ;D
Could sell CG along witha return ride down Connor pass
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

ward peyronnin

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »
Somewhat OT but my girl and myself will be in Kinsale in Sept. Old Head will be convenient and affords cracking views which add up to a unique couples experience. $180 high season post 4pm reduced rate is pretty dear though.

Can you gents recommend any other seaside golf experiences nearby or on the way to Waterford

Thanks
Ward
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 10:30:15 AM »
Somewhat OT but my girl and myself will be in Kinsale in Sept. Old Head will be convenient and affords cracking views which add up to a unique couples experience. $180 high season post 4pm reduced rate is pretty dear though.

Can you gents recommend any other seaside golf experiences nearby or on the way to Waterford

Thanks
Ward

Cork GC
not the greatest region for seaside golf between there and Waterford

ward peyronnin

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
thanks Jeff
I'll check into that
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
Second Jeff's Cork GC recommendation. Super place, my favourite non-links in Ireland (note: I haven't seen Carlow).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14:34 AM »

Thanks
Ward

Rosslare is a links near Waterford.  I've heard it's a very nice 3rd tier course and it's the right price.

Aklow is a very nice 2nd tier course a bit futher on and a little further still is The European Club which is either great or a bit of a miss. When I last checked you can have 2 rounds at Arklow and a drink after, for the price of one at TEC.  Enjoy the Craic.
Let's make GCA grate again!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
Thanks Mr Greenjeans ( reference Capt Kangaroo)

I will render a full report ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back