News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Green

Re: Planet Golf - USA Book Tour
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »
Terry and Howard

Count me in for Chicago event.  I will bring some friends and some $.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »
Pencil me in for Chicago as well.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Appreciate the feedback Greg, and I'll certainly try to get to Chileno Bay as well while visiting Cabo. Plus that new Nicklaus course which I think is right next to Diamante?
My pleasure and the course just above Diamante is Quivira. Again, don't set your expectations too high. It is a mix of some very good holes and some shockingly poor holes whereas Chileno is almost all good to very good, the 18th being a glaring exception.

As for Tiger's course, I'll damper my expectations...but you'll appreciate my curiosity in at least seeing how it turned out!
Of course, just don't expect to be wowed. Dunes, Ocean and Chileno are well above the rest of Cabo's golf offering. 

Hopefully you are around when I visit (likely late Aug now) as it would be great to catch up again.
I'll be here sweating away... please let me know if you need assistance with any arrangements in the area. I do not recall when you were last here but not sure you have seen the new 5,6 and 7 on The Ocean Course. Worth at least a quick look if you can fit it in. Holes were changed in 2010/2011 

Thanks to Terry for his efforts with the Chicago function on August 25 - which I'm really looking forward to. Be a great way to end my book tour, and nice to meet a few of you guys there as well. I'm sure it will be a lively evening.

Finally to Robert, and thanks for the advice on Engineers. To be honest, it's actually one of only three courses in the US that I've tried to get onto but failed. One of the others was Gulph Mills in Philly. Back then I didn't have the Planet Golf books behind me, so perhaps now they would be more open to my visit. I expect to have two full days on Long Island in early August, and will try my luck again. Haven't been to Huntington but know plenty about Mike's work at Sunningdale, and hoping to get back sometime in August as well.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
The Chicago event will be held on Tuesday, August 25.  Howard Riefs and I are thinking about holding it at Fairways, a golf-themed bar/restaurant on Armitage in Lincoln Park.  They have a great second floor room that would be perfect for this kind of event.  We will start a separate thread in due course, but basically, we're looking for every Chicago GCA guy to bring two friends to the event.  We are hoping to price it so everybody in the room will have $50 left over to buy both books.

I would absolutely love to attend, but I was pulling for a July date.  Pretty sure the fiancee is not going to let me reschedule the honeymoon. 

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »
Appreciate the feedback Greg, and I'll certainly try to get to Chileno Bay as well while visiting Cabo. Plus that new Nicklaus course which I think is right next to Diamante?
My pleasure and the course just above Diamante is Quivira. Again, don't set your expectations too high. It is a mix of some very good holes and some shockingly poor holes whereas Chileno is almost all good to very good, the 18th being a glaring exception.

As for Tiger's course, I'll damper my expectations...but you'll appreciate my curiosity in at least seeing how it turned out!
Of course, just don't expect to be wowed. Dunes, Ocean and Chileno are well above the rest of Cabo's golf offering. 

Hopefully you are around when I visit (likely late Aug now) as it would be great to catch up again.
I'll be here sweating away... please let me know if you need assistance with any arrangements in the area. I do not recall when you were last here but not sure you have seen the new 5,6 and 7 on The Ocean Course. Worth at least a quick look if you can fit it in. Holes were changed in 2010/2011 

Thanks to Terry for his efforts with the Chicago function on August 25 - which I'm really looking forward to. Be a great way to end my book tour, and nice to meet a few of you guys there as well. I'm sure it will be a lively evening.

Finally to Robert, and thanks for the advice on Engineers. To be honest, it's actually one of only three courses in the US that I've tried to get onto but failed. One of the others was Gulph Mills in Philly. Back then I didn't have the Planet Golf books behind me, so perhaps now they would be more open to my visit. I expect to have two full days on Long Island in early August, and will try my luck again. Haven't been to Huntington but know plenty about Mike's work at Sunningdale, and hoping to get back sometime in August as well.

I agree with all this Darius....

Jason Way

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
The Chicago event will be held on Tuesday, August 25.  Howard Riefs and I are thinking about holding it at Fairways, a golf-themed bar/restaurant on Armitage in Lincoln Park.  They have a great second floor room that would be perfect for this kind of event.  We will start a separate thread in due course, but basically, we're looking for every Chicago GCA guy to bring two friends to the event.  We are hoping to price it so everybody in the room will have $50 left over to buy both books.

I have it on the calendar, and I have a few targets picked out to tow along.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Bart Bradley

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »
Event with Darius confirmed for Aug 19th at the Olde Farm in Bristol, Va.

See this thread for details.  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61201.0.html

Hope to see you there

Bart

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »
I look forward to meeting you at Five Farms in August and hopefully playing with you as well. I believe you will be delighted with what you see.

After reviewing your Top 100, I think you need another trip to Rock Creek Cattle Company. I was glad it made the list, but 97 does not do that course justice. Nevertheless, we will have fun in Baltimore.
Mr Hurricane

Josh Tarble

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »

I would absolutely love to attend, but I was pulling for a July date.  Pretty sure the fiancee is not going to let me reschedule the honeymoon. 

Bill, I think we're going to get something scheduled for July here in Indy.  You should swing on down for a game.   Hopefully have definitely details in a couple days to post up for everyone.

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 12:06:59 PM »

The sooner you lay down the law on your priorities, the better off you'll be,,, 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Darius Oliver

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
Appreciate the continued interest, and those unable to make the Aug 25 event in Chicago might be keen to instead attend a July 20 function planned at Sportsmans CC in Northbrook. Event starts at 6pm in the clubhouse, and given they allow public access it should be open to all.

Thanks to Bart for his help setting things up at the Olde Farm in August as well. It's the ideal stop for me, as I needed to see the course anyway and will enjoy meeting up with some of the GCA folks in the area. Golf followed by a cook-out sounds great to me.

Thanks again for all your messages, I look forward to meeting many of you over the next two months.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Darius,

Any chance you come through St. Louis? We're about 5 hours from Chicago and 4 from Indy.

I could help you line something up if you wanted

Darius Oliver

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the note, and I'm actually renting my van from Enterprise in St Louis - so starting and finishing the tour there. We could potentially organize an event on July 19, or on my very last day - August 26. Would either of those suit?

And if there are others interested in my tour, I'm sure that at most of the stops clubs will be happy to welcome guests - especially engaged and knowledgable folks like those who post on this board.

Just shoot me a message and I'll let you know when I'm in your area, and where I'll be talking.

Cheers, Darius

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
Darius,

Would it be possible for you to post your schedule, say in the first message of this thread, and update it when you book new dates?

Darius Oliver

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »
Sure thing Jonathan, although my schedule is pretty full now so I don't expect to be adding too many more events at this point.

Here is a rundown of places that might welcome non-members...and remember we Aussies are fine with long distance drives...

July 15 - Omaha CC
July 16 - Stonehenge CC (Indiana)
July 17 - Broadmoor (Indiana) (to be confirmed)
July 19 - open for St Louis, Chicago perhaps
July 20 - Sportsman's CC (Chicago)
July 23 - Town & Country (MN)
July 24 - Blackhawk (WI)
July 28 - Woodmont (near DC - and part proceeds to military charity so would be happy to welcome guests I suspect)
July 30 - Somerset Hills (NJ)
July 31 - Fountain Head (near DC)
Aug 1-3 - open for Metro New York area.

Aug 4 - Sleepy Hollow (NY) (to be confirmed)
Aug 9 - Springville CC (NY)
Aug 10, 12 & 13 - open for northern NY, PA, OH or southern Michigan.
Aug 17-18 - open for Pinehurst area.
Aug 19 - Olde Farm (VA)
Aug 22 - Ballyhack (VA)
Aug 23 - Willow Oaks (VA)
Aug 25 - Fairways Restaurant (Chicago)

Thanks also to Michael WP for his comments - have you seen our reviews page at CapeWickham.com.au? Duncan Andrews was very pleased with your comments and added them to our site.

http://capewickham.com.au/reviews/

Josh Tarble

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
Darius,
You can confirm Broadmoor on July 17th.  We will have open tee times for GCA members and signing/meet & greet from 5-6.  That much is confirmed.  I'm waiting on pricing to post a specific thread.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
Sure thing Jonathan, although my schedule is pretty full now so I don't expect to be adding too many more events at this point.

Here is a rundown of places that might welcome non-members...and remember we Aussies are fine with long distance drives...

July 15 - Omaha CC
July 16 - Stonehenge CC (Indiana)
July 17 - Broadmoor (Indiana) (to be confirmed)
July 19 - open for St Louis, Chicago perhaps
July 20 - Sportsman's CC (Chicago)
July 23 - Town & Country (MN)
July 24 - Blackhawk (WI)
July 28 - Woodmont (near DC - and part proceeds to military charity so would be happy to welcome guests I suspect)
July 30 - Somerset Hills (NJ)
July 31 - Fountain Head (near DC)
Aug 1-3 - open for Metro New York area.

Aug 4 - Sleepy Hollow (NY) (to be confirmed)
Aug 9 - Springville CC (NY)
Aug 10, 12 & 13 - open for northern NY, PA, OH or southern Michigan.
Aug 17-18 - open for Pinehurst area.
Aug 19 - Olde Farm (VA)
Aug 22 - Ballyhack (VA)
Aug 23 - Willow Oaks (VA)
Aug 25 - Fairways Restaurant (Chicago)

Thanks also to Michael WP for his comments - have you seen our reviews page at CapeWickham.com.au? Duncan Andrews was very pleased with your comments and added them to our site.

http://capewickham.com.au/reviews/

Simply cannot say enough words to describe the place, course and its surroundings.
The people there, the routing, the variety of holes....just awesome
I could write an entire thread on the cheese alone!!!!!

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
As Darius notes above, I am hosting an event at Town & Country in St. Paul, MN for Darius to speak. If anyone from here is interested in attending, just drop me a note at patccraig@gmail.com.
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »
Darius appears to have touched down somewhere overnight. Might be USA, but who knows. I've passed on his itinerary to our golf writer at the Buffalo News and encourage others to do the same in their environs. Any recognition of this thing that enchants us is certainly for the greater good. I'll post a link to anything that the estimable Jay Skurski writes on Darius in the aforementioned BN.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
Darius -

Don't forget to add Baltimore Country Club on August 15 to your list. Also, if you want to visit Gulph Mills, let me know and I can contact a non-GCA friend of mine that is a member. I hear St David's would be a cool place to see as well.
Mr Hurricane

ward peyronnin

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
What has happened with the July 19th date
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Josh Tarble

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
Hey Darius,  as your tour is wrapping up I was hoping you could post a small recap for us here.  Hopefully your weather has been better than our day at Broadmoor!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2015, 01:04:39 PM »
Darius, I had a great time with you at Ballyhack.  I am reading Planet Golf USA and am enjoying it immensely.  I will read it more times this winter when it is too cold to play.
Your comment about the Cascades (have played it twice) green slopes being some what contradictory to the adjacent off green site slopes is exactly mine as well.
See Ballyhack, August 22 thread started by Tommy W.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back