News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darius Oliver

Planet Golf - USA Book Tour
« on: June 08, 2015, 04:00:12 AM »
Hi all,

I’ve had the great pleasure of meeting several members of this site over the years, and talking golf and golf design at various courses around the world. In the process of putting together a big book tour of the USA, and several friends have suggested I reach out to see whether there was any interest in a GCA function somewhere along my route.

To fill you in, over the past few years I have traveled to countless (literally lost count) courses in about 50 countries for my Planet Golf & Planet Golf USA books. I’m now producing a new volume, called Planet Golf Modern Masterpieces, which will feature around 100 modern courses (post-1995). Interestingly, around 70% of the featured courses will be new to the Planet Golf series. Despite the downturn there have still been some really cool layouts built in recent years – including Cape Wickham here in Australia, which I worked on with Mike DeVries. I know Michael Wharton-Palmer from GCA has played Wickham, and possibly a couple others. It opens properly in late October, and we think very highly of it.

Anyway for my new book to be a success I need to return to North America and catch up on the likes of Streamong, Dismal River, Gamble Sands, the new Sutton Bay, Wolf Point, Dormie Club, Diamante x 2, Cabot x 2 and several others dotted across the USA and Canada. Seemed an ideal opportunity to load up a van with books and embark on a speaking tour, which I did once before in 2011. On that tour I was lucky enough to talk at places like Cal Club, White Bear Yacht Club, Orchard Lake, Chambers Bay and Quaker Ridge. Some GCA members might even remember my presentation?

On this trip my focus is more on the Eastern side, from Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana across to Massachusetts, New York, Washington DC, North Carolina and Virginia. There are some great functions lined up, and a couple of windows available to add events – if there was any interest from those who post on this site? Generally events will involve a meal, perhaps some golf, and a talk followed by a lively Q&A session, where I discuss my travels, my (strong) views on design, ranking lists, architects and all manner of subject – then offer signed books for about half the retail. Both Planet Golf & Planet Golf USA will be available for $30, or $50 the set.

As I said, there are a few windows available in my schedule for places like Philadelphia, New York, Boston and other cities in the East. These are mostly early to mid August. I also have some dates available for Chicago and through Ohio in late July.

If there is any interest in organizing an event at your home club or a golf course in your local area please send me a message and let me know.

Thanks Ran for the opportunity to introduce myself. Hopefully I get to meet some more of you during my travels.

Best regards,
Darius Oliver

Ben Jarvis

Re: Planet Golf - USA Book Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:10:20 AM »
Darius,

Great to see you here and I hope you're well.

Safe travels and perhaps we'll cross paths during my time in the United States.

Ben
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:27:08 AM »
Happy to help in Chicago. I'll assign Howard Riefs (King of the Links) as Co-Chairman. Send a PM and let's get started!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:42:06 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »
Darius,

I've appreciated your refreshing perspective since the books were first published and look forward to the new release with anticipation.  Chicago is an obvious meeting point as we have perhaps the largest concentration of GCAers as well as no shortage of golf history or strong opinions.
I look forward to attending if possible and would encourage those who may be unfamiliar with your work to make time as well.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »
You need to see Baltimore CC after the new greens and fairways have been put in. Let me know if it would fit into your schedule. Speaking engagement may work as well. PM me to discuss.
Mr Hurricane

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 09:34:12 AM »
As one who has the previous books that Darius has been involved in, the quality of the work and attention to detail is wonderful as well as terrific photography.
His work and involvement at Cape Wickham is also of very high note.
The owner of Cape Wickham was very clear to point out that without the input of Darius the project would not have ended up as good as it did , his discovery of the site and realisation of what a special place it could be, essential in even getting the project off the ground.
See what I can do in the Dallas area.

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
I am in for Chicago and will be glad to help.  I look forward to seeing you again

Shel

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
Happy to help in Chicago. I'll assign Howard Riefs (King of the Links) as Co-Chairman. Send a PM and let's get started!

Macdonald & Raynor
Coore & Crenshaw
Lavin & Riefs
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jason Way

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »
Do you have any dates set for the tour yet Darius?  I want to make a point of catching you somewhere.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
Do you have any dates set for the tour yet Darius?  I want to make a point of catching you somewhere.

+1

Moving to Charlotte and will plan to see you in NC.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
Be happy to set something up at Ballyhack. We have a GCA  event scheduled for the end of October (16,17,&18).
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Darius Oliver

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »
Thanks all for the kind remarks, and the many warm welcomes. I look forward to meeting some of you during my travels.

Chicago sounds ideal, and I've messaged Terry to outline a few date options - principally July 17, 25 or 26. Hopefully we can make something work - Shel I do remember our game together at Olympia Fields and would love to get back to see those South Course changes. I recall bumping into Steve Smyers in the clubhouse that day, which was pretty cool.

Tim I'm very keen to see Baltimore CC, and fortunately have a function lined up there for August 15. The club has been great to deal with. It's one I'm really looking forward to, be great if you could attend?

In terms of the rest of my tour, the schedule is crazy hectic but you have to remember we Aussies are used to long drives. From Omaha to Indianapolis, up to Chicago, Green Bay, Minneapolis, Madison (WI) and then the two-day July 25-26 window in Chicago. From there I'm heading to Washington DC, up to New York, New Jersey, back to DC, up to Boston, RI, Vermont, Buffalo and back down to Baltimore and DC.

The available windows are Aug 1-4 somewhere between Washington and Boston, Aug 10-14 between Buffalo and Baltimore and then Aug 17-23 for Virginia and North Carolina or thereabouts.

Be great to add a couple of GCA centric events, but if not I'm sure the clubs hosting me would be happy to welcome interested and engaged guests. Feel free to send me any ideas you have, and hopefully I get to meet a bunch of you during the trip.

Thanks again to all, Darius

Josh Tarble

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:51:31 AM »
Darius,

Great to see you on board here.  Can't wait to follow your posts.  Glad to help in Indianapolis where I can.

John Cowden

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »
Guessing your itinerary between the lines, Darius, might you be celebrating our national holiday in the middle of nowhere Nebraska?  If so, I'll see you there; two stunning, and stunningly different modern courses.  Nicklaus' track will surprise you, I'll bet. 

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
Darius,

Please put Sunningdale Country Club on your New York area itinerary. There's much to see since your last visit with much more that Mike DeVries has planned for us post Labor Day. Both Mike an Joe Hancock will be absolutely flat out. Exciting stuff!

Congrats again on Cape Wickham...March of 2017, or bust! (last kids will be off to college by then!)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »
Darius -

I am not sure what event you have planned for Baltimore CC, but I will do my best to attend. I live right around the corner and have included a note on my schedule. I saw that our scheduled aeration is the week before which is a shame. I look forward to meeting you.
Jim
Mr Hurricane

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
Darius, you can email me at buffalogolfer@gmail.com and let me know if/when you plan to be up our (Buffalo) way. I'll get Kevin Lynch (a GCA great) to join us, as well as any others in western NY/Rochester/Ontario who can make the trip.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
Darius--
What do you have planned for your three stops in DC?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »
Darius - I'll look for your N.C. dates and try to make it work. I'll be in Pinehurst the weekend of 8/23 which may coincide.

Darius Oliver

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 12:31:58 AM »
Thanks again to all those who have responded or sent messages. I appreciate the interest. This really is going to be a great part of the trip.

I would list my schedule here but have already met enough folks in golf who think I'm mad...Suffice to say, I'm paying a little extra on the van rental to ensure I have unlimited milage! I'll try answer some of the questions though.

While most of the functions are at private clubs, I'm sure hosts would be happy for non-members to attend. Shoot me a message if there is interest and I'll try tee it up with the organizers.

To answer Carl first, the three DC area events are at Woodmont on July 28, Fountain Head on July 31 and then Army Navy CC on August 16.

To JCowden, yours was a good guess but no i won't be in Nebraska until a week or so later. I'm starting with Washington / BC then over to Cabot, down to Orlando and then through the middle of the country for the likes of Dismal River, Sutton Bay and hopefully a return to Ballyneal. I get my van on July 13, pick up books in Indianapolis of the 14th and start my tour on the 15th at Omaha CC.

Matt, I haven't got plans yet for North Carolina except that I need to see Dormie Club, the changes to Pinehurst #2 and also return to Tobacco Road. A friend is going to try arrange a function at the Country Book Store somewhere in Pinehurst, which I think would be really cool. I'm also open to other ideas, if there are guys interested in putting together something in North Carolina.

My available window for NC is really August 17-20, during which time I'm going to get down to see Bulls Bay near Charleston. I've also never seen Quail Hollow, which seems an oversight.

Thanks again for all the interest, I'm really excited for many of these functions and to meet more folks from GCA. I always knew the reach of this site was significant, but have been surprised at how many friends and contacts are already on here.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:09 AM »
Darius,
Having followed your architectural writings over the years, you would make a huge miss by not visiting Engineers.  I would venture to state the biggest missing piece in your previous Planet Golf books was not including a piece on Engineers.  In addition you should check out Huntington and Sunningdale because there is some incredible restoration of greatness that deserves notice.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »
The Chicago event will be held on Tuesday, August 25.  Howard Riefs and I are thinking about holding it at Fairways, a golf-themed bar/restaurant on Armitage in Lincoln Park.  They have a great second floor room that would be perfect for this kind of event.  We will start a separate thread in due course, but basically, we're looking for every Chicago GCA guy to bring two friends to the event.  We are hoping to price it so everybody in the room will have $50 left over to buy both books.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Darius,

I see your list of things to see includes Cabo (Diamante x2). I would strongly suggest you include Chileno Bay while understanding that Diamante x1 (Dunes) is all you need to see on that side. Hate to be harsh but given your schedule and desire to see only the best, Tiger's course is nowhere near the quality you are looking for. The fact that it is among the 500 or so on Golf Magazine's to see list is, quite frankly, a joke. There are 6-8 courses in Cabo that are better.

I am happy to assist in any manner possible/necessary when you head this way.

Darius Oliver

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 07:52:14 PM »
Appreciate the feedback Greg, and I'll certainly try to get to Chileno Bay as well while visiting Cabo. Plus that new Nicklaus course which I think is right next to Diamante?

As for Tiger's course, I'll damper my expectations...but you'll appreciate my curiosity in at least seeing how it turned out!

Hopefully you are around when I visit (likely late Aug now) as it would be great to catch up again.

Thanks to Terry for his efforts with the Chicago function on August 25 - which I'm really looking forward to. Be a great way to end my book tour, and nice to meet a few of you guys there as well. I'm sure it will be a lively evening.

Finally to Robert, and thanks for the advice on Engineers. To be honest, it's actually one of only three courses in the US that I've tried to get onto but failed. One of the others was Gulph Mills in Philly. Back then I didn't have the Planet Golf books behind me, so perhaps now they would be more open to my visit. I expect to have two full days on Long Island in early August, and will try my luck again. Haven't been to Huntington but know plenty about Mike's work at Sunningdale, and hoping to get back sometime in August as well.

SL_Solow

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »
Terry;  As of today< I have an early hearing in Akron.  Will try to get back

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back