News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: GCA Play Day at Beverly CC – 7 July 2015
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 08:19:47 AM »
R.J.:

Trust me -- the good citizens of the Badger State are eagerly awaiting Mr. Kane's return to our fair city. ;D

Nothing sums up deadspin reporting like an oral history of a drunken 23 year old as told by other drunken 21-23 year olds.  Im sure its all 100%true.....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
Bumping, with a couple weeks to go before sign-up closes.

Houlihan and Hancock -- any update on your respective statuses for the event?

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 02:17:45 AM »
I might be able to make it if there is still room.  Let me know Andrew!

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »
I might be able to make it if there is still room.  Let me know Andrew!

Declan -- You're in!

List updated.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »
Bumping, with a couple updates / requests:

1) As a reminder, we will need to finalize the list early next week, so please let me know asap if your status has changed.  I will post final details sometime next week.

2) Please send me a PM to indicate whether you will walk with a caddie, or take a cart with a forecaddie.

3) Kang -- I have updated to reflect your +2.  Please confirm they are in.

4) Smolens -- Same for your +3.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
I'm bringing Carl Kalinka and Todd Molitor. Chuck James will round out our foursome.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
Bumping for a final call.

For those who have ignored my prior request for confirmation on walking/riding (ie, Jud, Steve Salmen, James Reese, Howard Riefs, Dan Moore, Bill Seitz and Steve Green) and for anybody listed as tentative who has not yet confirmed (ie, Justin Houlihan), please do so at this time so that I can sort things with the club early this ewek.

Thanks, Andrew

Andrew Lewis

Final event details updated in Post #1; final attendee list updated in Post #2.

Pairings were made based on final numbers and walk/ride preference.  This means we have a couple threesomes, and that a few unlucky suckers have to play with Jud.

One last thing -- as with last year, we will be so fortunate as to have our superintendent Kirk Spieth join us.  He and his team do a fantastic job, and he's always happy to discuss the course with those who find such things of interest.

PM me with any questions/comments/complaints.

Cheers, Andrew

Jud_T

This is an awesome event at the quintessential Chicago club.  The locker room bar alone is worth the price of admission.  Hopefully the rough is up this time of year so I don't go so low as to embarrass our esteemed hosts...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Lewis

Due to a few last-minute cancellations/changes, we are re-jiggering the pairings.  Please see me when you arrive for the final groupings.

Also due to those changes, we still have two spots open.  Please PM me over the weekend if interested.

JReese

Thanks again Andrew for hosting.....what a great place to spend an afternoon.  For the amount of rain the previous night and that morning, the course was still in fantastic shape.  It was nice to meet some of the Chicagoland GCA contingent, and the steaks weren't half bad either.  Trying to navigate the 17th green alone was worth the price of admission. 
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Jud_T

It really was amazing how good those greens were after the rain we had Monday.  Hats off to the crew at the Bev.  When Andrew said that they normally run 1-1.5 feet faster, I was gobsmacked.  17 is an amazing green and yet another poster child for the fine line walked between classic greens and modern speeds.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

K. Krahenbuhl

I played the Bev on Saturday and I think the greens were as fast as I have ever seen them.

Joe Zucker

Couldn't agree more with James and Jud.  The course was great, as expected, and the greens were near perfect.  Many times I was above the hole with little chance.  I can tell that Beverly is a course that would reveal itself slowly over a few dozen rounds and I feel lucky to have had one.  Thanks to Andrew for opening up his course to us.

The handful of bunkers that were set 10-40 yards short of greens (the 4th and 14th come to mind) are a great feature that make approaches appear much tougher than they might play.  I especially liked the traps that pinched in on the par 5 7th,  forcing me to really think about that second shot, which is not something that happens enough on three shot holes.  Overall, it's easy to see why it's one of Chicago's classic tracks.

J_ Crisham

I played the Bev on Saturday and I think the greens were as fast as I have ever seen them.
As was evidenced by our scores!:'(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:45:15 PM by J_ Crisham »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back