News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Quinn Thompson

Mailing Sticks to the Auld Country...
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
Gentlemen,

I wanna say there was a "thread" on this here site about companies that specialize in mailing golf clubs over to the Isles…? Delivering them to courses ? hotels ?

I'll be coming from the East, with the sun in my eyes ( Bob Dylan line ), my folks will be coming from Chicago, where my Miura Samurai Blades are hibernating in the basement…Lord knows they don't need to be dragging 2 sets of clubs through O'hare.

Any input, suggestion, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Till then,
Far and Sure.
Q.

JMEvensky

Re: Mailing Sticks to the Auld Country...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
Try Shipstix. I think they have a 10% off special right now. I've used them as have several friends--all with no complaints.

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »
I have done Ship Stix to the UK twice. Worked great and clubs arrived earlier than estimate each time. I think they pad the time a bit to make sure they never disappoint. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
$400 round trip to the UK for the golf bag? Ouch.

I'll bet Bill McBride will start shipping his clubs... I've been on two out-of-country trip with him in the past year and the airlines have lost his clubs both times! On our last trip (just last week) they lost his clubs in both directions!!!

I think renting clubs would be better than paying $400 to ship my bag. You can rent a premium set for a week for about $150 max.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
Quinn,

This is a timely thread from my point of view as I will be playing golf in Cornwall, after travelling from Oz in September, and have no intention of shipping my clubs. The previous thread on this subject did have its fair share of tales of woe but I think Bill McBride's travail this time around would has topped any of the previous dismal stories!!

Bill.  Are the Gods of Golf trying to tell you something?!

Mike W. or anyone ------ who are the contacts in the U.K. for hiring clubs for a week to a fortnight?   $150 dollars is a steal as there is no angst regarding delivery or damage and with the added bonus of not having to lug 'em around as you traipse around Roman ruins, dilapidated castles, mouldering monasteries and countless art galleries!!!   Och  ..the cost of golf, the cost of golf!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
Quinn,

This is a timely thread from my point of view as I will be playing golf in Cornwall, after travelling from Oz in September, and have no intention of shipping my clubs. The previous thread on this subject did have its fair share of tales of woe but I think Bill McBride's travail this time around would has topped any of the previous dismal stories!!

Bill.  Are the Gods of Golf trying to tell you something?!

Mike W. or anyone ------ who are the contacts in the U.K. for hiring clubs for a week to a fortnight?   $150 dollars is a steal as there is no angst regarding delivery or damage and with the added bonus of not having to lug 'em around as you traipse around Roman ruins, dilapidated castles, mouldering monasteries and countless art galleries!!!   Och  ..the cost of golf, the cost of golf!

Cheers Colin

Colin, I am getting the message. 

Ben Malach

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
Quinn: Why mail your clubs take Iceland Air stop in Iceland for a couple days of good golf and then journey to the Emerald Isle. This is because Iceland air does not charge for extra weight on clubs alos you gain a great extra bag for all of the souvenirs that you are bound to pick up in both nations. Also all layovers in Iceland are included in all tickets no matter how long you stay in Iceland. 
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
Colin,

Here are a couple of suggestions:

http://www.clubstohire.com/

http://www.golfclubrental.co.uk

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
Ah, all well noted suggestions…..
I will pace the kitchen floor now and think of what to do….

Me, I don't really need my sticks…give me a 5 iron and a half pack of cigarettes and I should be able to make a round of it.

My father though is 6'5"…used to run the courts down on 71st and Dorchester back in the day; thus his clubs have an inch and half of added length in all the shafts…I'm sure we could find a rent-a-set with added length in them, preferably a set of the old Powerbuilt blades he used to butter around Jackson Park…

We'll look into it…

as far as Iceland goes Mr. Malach, I'm afraid those Sirens would get a hold of me and make me late for a tee time.

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:54:42 AM »
Bit late on this one Quinn but I do some work with Luggage Forward if you're looking to ship the sticks again soon.
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:02:18 PM »
Ru, I just looked into Luggage Forward to ship my clubs back from my upcoming trip through Ireland and around EDI. I only need one-way shipment.  I'll send you a Personal Message on this site for details.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back