News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

How are Saturday morning, or "Prime Time", tee times handled at your Club?

Are there tee times at all? Or if there are tee times how are they spaced? (7, 8, 9, or 10 min?)

Does the Pro Shop/Head Pro run an "Open" game during set times? Or do the same foursomes of guys play at the same time every week? Is there a lottery for times?

Do more people try to play within the first hour the course is open, or do they wait a few hours?

Are the early tee times on the weekends dominated by younger or older members?

Are there "cliques?"

Are women allowed to play on Saturday mornings?  

How fast should the first groups of the day be expected to play?

Do you have a dedicated "starter" on the first tee?

And for a reference point, how many rounds per year does your course receive?

Just curious to hear how other clubs handle this. Thanks in advance.
H.P.S.

David Whitmer

Re: Saturday Morning / "Prime Time" Tee Times at your Club...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »

At the club where I was the pro, we did not take tee times. We had somewhere around 275 golfing members.

Are there tee times at all? Or if there are tee times how are they spaced? (7, 8, 9, or 10 min?)

Does the Pro Shop/Head Pro run an "Open" game during set times? Or do the same foursomes of guys play at the same time every week? Is there a lottery for times?

The pro shop did not run games. We paired people up if they showed up and did not have a game.

Do more people try to play within the first hour the course is open, or do they wait a few hours?

In the summer, the first tee opened at 7:00. We usually had guys there by 6:30, and the first tee would see groups go out regularly until maybe 8:30 or so.

All different age groups. Mostly the guys who did not play "client golf" during the week would play on weekend mornings.

Are there "cliques?"

Yes. Mostly along skill level, though.

Yes, there were no restrictions on anyone (except juniors, who could not play without an adult until noon). Hardly ever did a woman play on the weekend mornings. We found they didn't necessarily want to play at that time, they just wanted to be allowed to play at that time.

No set policy as far as speed of play, but anything at 4 hours and 10 minutes or less would never raise an eyebrow.

Yes. He ran the show outside. He kept track of who was there ready to play. He let people know when they were teeing off. All the members knew he was the authority on that subject. In my 7 years I never heard of anyone having an issue with the job he did.

Most years, around 16,000.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »
At my club we don't have tee times. Never having played at a no-tee-times club, when I joined I kind of figured it might be a source of problems but I've not seen any issues with it at all.

The members have various games with more or less set times although the times vary seasonally. I play in a larger group that goes off about 11am in the winter and maybe 10:30 in the summer. There's a slightly smaller group that plays at 9:30 or thereabouts as far as I know. Also some guys seem to get together around 12:30 or 1:00 but that seems a rather fluid group and time and I'm not sure the details.

The pro shop staff are aware of the usual games and will introduce new members to the various groups as needed. But it's all really managed by the players. Our group has an E-mail list that goes out late in the week to set times for Saturday and Sunday.

The biggest standing game is on Wednesdays. I'm never around at Noon on weekedays but apparently most weeks they have 30, 40, sometimes more players. That's about twice the size of the group I play with on weekends.

As far as I can tell, even the standing groups play on more or less a first come, first served basis. If the course were really busy early on a Saturday, let's say, then we might end up teeing off 15-20 minutes later than we planned. But I think I've seen that happen once in the six months I've been at this club.

There are no doubt "cliques" within the club who prefer to play together but not with others but compared to my previous club it can't be very many people in the "cliques" because I've yet to encounter them. Or maybe they don't exist at all for some reason. This club is very old and has some very long-standing cultural norms that really, truly are inclusive to an extent I've never experienced before. Good players seem not to mind playing with high handicappers, the old guys and younger guys are not quite as segregated as at some places and I've got to say it's the darndest thing I've ever seen in terms of how often people I've never met before will invite me to tee off or join up with a twosome or threesome.

So I guess that's why no tee times work. When by and large the members prefer to join up rather than play alone and given that we are not terribly oversubscribed in terms of membership numbers (deliberate understatement) it just all seems to work out. The culture seems strange to me but I like it a lot!

[ADDED AFTER DAVID WHITMER'S REPLY]

Our club has similar or very slightly larger membership numbers than David's former employer.

And regarding pace of play, don't know about first groups of the day but any group taking more than about 4 hours to play our course generally gets politely encouraged to pick it up a bit. My group are usually mildly frustrated if teeing off around 10 or 11am we end up playing in something like 3:50 or 3:55 but the one time I've seen it it gets up to 4:15 or so was considered highly unacceptable. It's a short, compact course and about 80% of the play is in golf carts (allowed to drive on fairways) so there's really no reason at all to take more than 4 hours to play.

I have no idea of our number of rounds per year.

There is no distinction between women and men in terms of the by-laws of the club. Not sure about younger juniors but teenaged members seem to have unlimited use of the golf course just like their parents, although I think you must have a drivers license to use a golf cart. Many of our memberships are families with more than one golfer who plays regularly. All are treated as "members" there is no primary or secondary status type thing.

We do not employ anything resembling a "starter". Most mornings there is one assistant professional manning the pro shop and signing people in, one lady in the snack bar serving food and a part-time guy that comes in early and takes the carts out of the barn and puts them by the clubhouse for people to use. Other than the greenskeeper's crew, that's it. Did I mention I really LOVE playing at this kind of club?  8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:30:16 AM by Brent Hutto »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
At home club...

The same as all others.  Tee times available 24 hours in advance.  Local guest play is limited in prime season.

Every 7 minutes

Scratch game (shop organized) goes after 12:00.  There is no shop organized game in the morning.

Tee stays busy all morning

No

Are there "cliques?"

If you mean regular groups - Yes

No

3:00 - 3:30

Yes

Two courses (above applies to each) - don't know current number.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »
How are Saturday morning, or "Prime Time", tee times handled at your Club? 29 day online booking system costs $1600 per year

Are there tee times at all? Or if there are tee times how are they spaced? (7, 8, 9, or 10 min?)8 minutes

Does the Pro Shop/Head Pro run an "Open" game during set times? Or do the same foursomes of guys play at the same time every week? Is there a lottery for times?50% of the play is the same guys, the pro runs comps if there is no official comp

Do more people try to play within the first hour the course is open, or do they wait a few hours?pretty busy from 7AM through to 2PM, the gaps are usually the no shows

Are the early tee times on the weekends dominated by younger or older members? I think the mixture of ages is not relevant to early times

Are there "cliques?"always cliques at golf clubs

Are women allowed to play on Saturday mornings?  yes

How fast should the first groups of the day be expected to play? 4.32

Do you have a dedicated "starter" on the first tee?not for members but for visitor play after 11.00

And for a reference point, how many rounds per year does your course receive? 33,000

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:49:02 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »

No official tee times but you call the shop, let them know when you want to play and they assign a time so I am more than a bit unclear on the difference

10 minute

Open game usually around 8 with 4-5 groups

8 seems to be the prime starting time but a few groups sneak out to beat the crowd

Broad spectrum. 

Are there "cliques?"

To a lesser extent than I believe exists at most clubs

yes.

Under 4 hours which is pretty quick on a big course.  People seem to use good judgment .  If a group will be slower they play later in the day.

No but during peak times the shop monitors the first tee actively and sends people off 10 and 17 if needed to help flow

No idea but a lot less than yours

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »

We have tee times; spaced 8 minutes apart.  

The pro shop doesn't ever run a game.  The same foursomes rarely play together.  There isn't a lottery.  Each board member has one weekend morning tee time allotted to him or her.  Any member can make a weekend tee time beginning Thursday morning at 9am.

During the summer, the first time is 7:15 am.  The most popular times are probably 7:45-9:15.

The older (above 60) members tend to tee off later on the weekend, say in the 9-10:30 range. The earliest tee times are usually taken by members with families.

Are there "cliques?"

Yes.  Most of them are fairly large (I play mostly with about 30 guys), though there are some smaller ones.

Every family can designate a single "member," who has full privileges [can play weekend mornings, in the member-guest and member-member tournaments, etc.  In the vast majority of (but not all) families the member is the husband.

3:40 if before 7:30; 3:50 if before 8:00; 4:00 all other times.  We post weekend starting and finishing times (and elapsed times) in the men's locker room.  Repeatedly slow players are effectively subject to a form of public shaming.

Yup

Not quite sure

Keith Phillips

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:12:36 PM »
At home club...

Saturday-Sunday are similar to other days, but guest play is limited in the mornings, and 'spouse' / 'juniors' can't tee off 'til 9am and 1pm, respectively.

No tee times ever - we are very fortunate to have 4 nines, all starting and finishing at the clubhouse - in 20 years I have never been worse than 'on deck' on any tee box.

Scratch game (shop organized) goes after 12:00.  There is no shop organized game in the morning.

Yes a few before 8am then very busy 8am - 930, then it tapers off

Very broad mix at all times...younger parents with young kids tend to go earliest.

Are there "cliques?"

Sure, lots of people have regular games that vary a bit - I guess those are cliques in a good way.

'Members' are allowed to play at any time - we have several women members, though most of those choose to play later in the morning, when 'spouses' (most of whom are still women) are able to play.

The expectation of four hours or faster is usually met but it can be a challenge to police when there is no set rotation of nines

No - you check in with the starter when you arrive then go to whichever of the four first tees you want when ready.

36 holes - 28,000 rounds

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »
I've worked at a few different clubs (of all types) around the Midwest and East Coast. Here are the two that were most unique in my experiences:

At a semi-private club in Northeastern New York (40,000 rounds annually over 36 holes), we took times, each were eight minutes apart. Golfers could book up to seven days in advance, and we would start taking times as soon as the golf shop opened (5:30 am on weekends); the next weekend's tee sheet between 6am-12pm would generally fill up in a matter of minutes. We had two men's groups and two women's groups that would always take the same (approximate) times; the men usually took four times and the women would take the two immediately preceding each men's group. Pace of play on the member was pretty steady around four hours, until the 10:30-11am groups were finishing, then it was about 4.25 hours...still not too bad. The guest course was always a little slower for obvious reasons. Generally it averaged 4 hours and 15 minutes but could reach upwards of 4.5 hours.

At a busy private club in Central Indiana (25,000 rounds annually over 18 holes), Saturday and Sunday were the only days that tee times were assigned. Golfers would play in order of arrival on weekdays. For the weekend times, the club used a lottery of sorts, in which the members would fill out a card with the approximate time they were hoping for and the number of golfers and then every Friday and Saturday night, the professional staff would assign the times. It may sound controversial or complicated, but it worked pretty well and I cannot personally remember an incident. Each time was spaced by 10 minutes, so pace of play was usually pretty good...about four hours.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:19:56 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »

no tee timews

A couple of groups who organise their own respective guys..about 20 total

Are there "cliques?"
not really cliques just guys who always play together

yes

Andrew Buck

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »

The positives and negatives of a club with 100 members

no tee times

other than monthly events, no

Almost no one is on the golf course before 9:00 AM, literally a ghost town, unless I arrange a game as I like to play early for family reasons.  Busiest time of the day on Saturday is 11 - 1:30 with the bankers game at 12:30 (as banks close at noon)

Are there "cliques?"

There are groups, for sure

Members are frustrated if a round is every longer than 3:30

Nope

Probably 10k

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »

I've belonged to 2 clubs so I'll respond for both:

Neither had tee times.  I probably wouldn't join a club that did, although the private clubs I've seen that do have times do a good job of getting everyone out with minimal delay. 

No times at either.

One had an open game on Saturday mornings with a bit of gambling involved.

Both clubs have an early wave as well as the afternoon golfers.

More younger.

Are there "cliques?"

Not really

Yes.  This has been challenged successfully in court, hasn't it?

4 hours

Neither do.

Neither do more than 15,000 I believe.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »

10 minutes, like all other days

One of our members, with pro shop cooperation, runs such a game.  I think they begin at 9:00, but I'm not certain.  No lottery.  Tee times are taken over the phone beginning on Wed. for Sat.  I often play with some guys, one of whom makes the time, at about 10:30.  Some might call us a clique, but I don't look at it that way (see below). Also, FYI, we require everyone to take a cart Sat. a.m. during daylight savings time unless the conditions are "cart path only."  Then you can walk.  The rest of the time carts aren't required.

Don't know about that.

My sense is that the younger members dominate the early times.  They like to get done and get home to have some family time on Sat.

Are there "cliques?"

Just a few, as far as I know, but not an issue.  Their loss.  I define a clique as a group who play together and rarely, if ever, will play with anyone else.

Yes, if they are full primary members.  We have a small number.  There are limitations regarding guests Sat. a.m., too, but I'm not sure exactly what the rules are.

Officially, four hours, which is the same as for all other days and times.

Never until this spring.  It's not necessary at our club and I hope the practice will be discontinued soon if it hasn't already been.  The process irritates me -- like we're not adults?!?!  It's one of the assistant pros.  Mostly he does this from the practice tee area, which is relatively close to first tee, but not in view.  

Here in piedmont North Carolina we play all year round, though less in the winter.  I could look this up, but I'm not going to.  My recollection is that it's around 20,000

You are welcome.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:24:52 PM by Carl Johnson »

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »

In summer, Saturday is comp day with 3balls until ~1pm then 4balls allowed.  On Sunday it is 2balls until ~8ish then 3balls until 12ish.  

Yes, every 8 minutes

The pro runs the Saturday comp, but players sign up online.

Tee is busy from opening until early afternoon.

Mix.

Are there "cliques?"

For sure.

Yes, but not in the Men's comp.  If ANYBODY does not want to play in the comp they can book a time and not enter the comp.

4 hours.

No.

I am guessing 30+ thousand.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 12:29:38 AM »

Tee times. 10 minutes apart. Available one week ahead via Foretees.

There is a shop game each Saturday morning that anyone can get in. You just turn in your card. On member sets up two or three groups around 9 am, but that's really the only show-up-and-find-out-who-you-are-going-to-play-with games.

Usually pretty steady from 7 to 10:30. Not slammed, but a number of people.

Mix

Are there "cliques?"

There are some groups that often play together, but there is mixing of groups in part because people signup online.

Yes. No restrictions.

Everyone is expected to play in 4 hours or less. Early groups tend to play faster.

No

Probably similar to T&C

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
Perhaps we are different because our crowded time is Friday afternoon. On Saturday we have several 3 tee time groups. The shop holds  10:30 for one and noon for the other.We play 9 to 9:30 and another plays before 9. We go on computer on Thursday and put our times down.The sheet fills up but some don't show and others combine. Half walk except in late summer that goes up. Under 4 hours is required.No idea the number of rounds but pretty steady year round.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
Full club 400 + members.

Tee  times taken two weeks prior. The phones open (in summer) at 6am, but that requires them to be in the shop before then, so some members appear at the course to take advantage. One person can reserve one tee time.

Tee times are 9 minute intervals

There are three groups which usually reserve about eight tee times in summer.

There is a starter, and play that starts before 9am is under four hours.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
Saturday and Sunday morning tee times become available 3 days prior and are secured via a web tee time system. There's a bit of a mad rush to log in and get times. Good thing we have 3 courses to spread everyone around.

Yes, 10 min tee time intervals

No, the pro shop doesn't run an open game, but wish they would

Yes, especially in the summer.

Anyone who can get it. Only the oldest members, who play all week, tend to back off prime time play to allow younger members, with families a shot at the course. But there isn't the perception / courtesy of members to help those with young families get out and home quickly. That's more of a northern, established club thing.

Are there "cliques?"
Our club, being so large, and more of a resort setting than a member club (owned by a billionaire and managed by his staff). As a result, the club is filled with micro-groups of friends and golfing buddies.

Yes, and I believe that juniors 16 and up can go out. Some folks will even bring their kids out with them (but they usually can *play*). Not hack around family time like you'd see on a Sat or Sun afternoon.

Our pace of play is generally really, really fast. Unless a tournament, the early first groups are usually in around 3:30, the average for a round is around 4hrs and often 3:40. This for courses that have a few long walks between holes and a fair bit of walkers, not just cart play.

Yes, a recent addition to address club suspicions of member misconduct (leave it at that)

Not sure, but a good amount (80-90K over 3 courses?)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:32:58 AM by ChipRoyce »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »

Are there tee times at all? Or if there are tee times how are they spaced? (7, 8, 9, or 10 min?) - Tee Times, 2 for every 15 minutes (ie: 7 minutes, 8 minutes, 7 minutes, etc); We also have a crossover on Saturday and Sunday mornings to get more people out during the popular early morning hours

Does the Pro Shop/Head Pro run an "Open" game during set times? Or do the same foursomes of guys play at the same time every week? Is there a lottery for times? - We have a lottery system that runs on Thursday night for the weekend times; members submit their time and the lottery sets the official times (usually within a half hour of your request)

Do more people try to play within the first hour the course is open, or do they wait a few hours? - As indicated earlier, morning tee times are popular so we run a crossover (tee offs on the 1st and 10th tees)

Are the early tee times on the weekends dominated by younger or older members? - A mix of both

Are there "cliques?" - Not really.  I organize times/pairings for a group of lower handicappers (around 40) that play Saturday and Sunday but we welcome all comers

Are women allowed to play on Saturday mornings?  - Sure but not many play in the early AM (maybe one group)

How fast should the first groups of the day be expected to play? - 3 hours 45 minutes

Do you have a dedicated "starter" on the first tee? - One of the professional staff usually man the starters shack on weekends; the dedicated starter only works during the week.

And for a reference point, how many rounds per year does your course receive? - A ton as a seasonal club - perhaps around 40,000 rounds between April and November

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:35:52 AM by Matt Bosela »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »

Tees times are every 12 minutes.

Guys tend to play similar times each week.

Memberships are individual not family and guests are not permitted before noon, except out of town guests.

Are there "cliques?"

Yes, although there are only a few women members.

Slow play is never a problem

No.  A caddy master though.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
"Cliques"?!  When did this become the term for a group of buddies who have a regular game?  I've had friends for life who I know don't cheat, show up and keep their mouths shut. You'd be so lucky.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »
I took "clique" to mean groups who were mutually antagonistic or who disputed over leadership of the club or over tee times or whatever. Nothing like that at my club.

Was it supposed to just a regular group who play together? Obviously my club like every other place I've ever seen has guys with a standing game every Saturday and Sunday. That's universal, isn't it?

I would not use the term "clique" for that.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
This article explains what Pat meant by cliques.  http://kidshealth.org/kid/homework/school_problems/clique.html

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
I took "clique" to mean groups who were mutually antagonistic or who disputed over leadership of the club or over tee times or whatever. Nothing like that at my club.

What I meant was this.
H.P.S.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »

Saturday is club mens' competition day and no social play is allowed until mid afternoon.

8 minute tee times booked online up to a week in advance

Competitions are run by the club Handicaps Committee. The pro takes the entry fee and issues the cards. Play is in three-balls. Some guys prefer to play in the same group each week but most chop and change within the same broad time slot. In major or board competitions playing groups are selected by random draw. This is very successful in ensuring members play with a wide range of other members and is a policy I would recommend to other clubs.  

The most popular times are between 8am and 10am and between 12pm and 2pm There is a lull in late morning when it is always possible to get a game at the last minute.

It's simply first come first served. All tee times are booked online up to a week in advance. A lot of old guys play early, together with younger guys with kids. Many of us work Saturday mornings and so play in the afternoon

Are there "cliques?"

Groups of friends -Yes. Cliques in the true sense of the word - No. Our club has a culture of every member being happy to play with anyone else. The random draws for major competitions help promote this culture, as do the daily roll-ups at set times when balls are put in a hat and groups drawn.  

No. Only those participating in the men's' competition are allowed on the course. Ladies have their own completion time slot on Sundays

3.30 - 3.40.  This pace is maintained all day. Anyone losing ground on the group ahead is roundly abused by all those following. It tends not to happen again!

No

At a guess - 35000

This format for Saturday play is the norm in England at private members' clubs.  Visitors from overseas are often frustrated by not being able to get a game anywhere on a Saturday morning. Only resort courses, some proprietary clubs, or predominantly Jewish clubs will generally be open to visitors at this time.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:25:39 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back