News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Five Farms
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:03 AM »
Baltimore CC reopened yesterday. Keith Foster did a wonderful job bringing the greens back to their original shape and removing some of the evergreens that were not in the original design as well. Fantastic was my first thought. And second for that matter.
Mr Hurricane

PCCraig

Re: Five Farms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »
That's great, Jim. Do you have any photos?

How many evergreens were there? Where were they located?
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Wow the course looks terrific in the photos, Jim!

Here is one from the Baltimore CC Facebook page:

Several more of them on there as well by Larry Lambrecht: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baltimore-Country-Club/970836456276201
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:34:29 AM by Eric Smith »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
That's great, Jim. Do you have any photos?

How many evergreens were there? Where were they located?

I am not a picture taker. The best example was #14. The evergreens to the right are now gone and the tree on the left is gone too. The Great Hazard is now indeed a great hazard. This is Tillie's Hell's Half Acre hole. Many more trees throughout that had nothing to do with strategy, but ore with "beautification" are gone. The newly found vistas are terrific. I hope Brad Klein and Pat Mucci make visits his year.

Anyone else want to play, let me know. If can swing it, we will play.
Mr Hurricane

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
This is such a wonderful golf course. Can't wait to see it with Foster's work.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Can't wait to see how the greens turned out. We'll have to get together later this summer.  At the moment I am on the sidelines recuperating from thumb surgery.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »
Can't wait to see how the greens turned out. We'll have to get together later this summer.  At the moment I am on the sidelines recuperating from thumb surgery.

Let me know when you are ready. Greens, as to be expected, are a little slow, but everything else is hitting on all cylinders. In a few years, when these greens are mature, BCC is going to be elite again. Keith Foster really did an exceptional job bringing the original design back to life.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Sherma

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
Baltimore CC is one of my all time favorites. Everything about the routing is wonderful. The idea that it can be improved upon whets my appetite even more so for a return visit!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
Baltimore CC is one of my all time favorites. Everything about the routing is wonderful. The idea that it can be improved upon whets my appetite even more so for a return visit!

As a long time member, I can attest, the changes make the course vastly improved. #14 being my favorite.
Mr Hurricane

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:34:50 AM »
Jim:
Congratulations!  Everyone I know who's played Five Farms (I live in DC and play in Montgomery County) thinks very highly of the pre-restoration* course, so I can only imagine how good it is now.
Carl

*Is it a true "restoration"? 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »
Jim.   I thought BCC already had a renovation not more than 5 years ago prior to a senior tour event?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »
Jim.   I thought BCC already had a renovation not more than 5 years ago prior to a senior tour event?

They added a bunch of new tees and fixed the bunkers then. This time, they actually brought the greens back to their original shapes. All sorts of new pin placements available. Native hardwoods left alone while evergreens were removed. Looks much more natural now too.

It has been a work I progress the past 6 years or so. The course is headed in the right direction.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
Jim:
Congratulations!  Everyone I know who's played Five Farms (I live in DC and play in Montgomery County) thinks very highly of the pre-restoration* course, so I can only imagine how good it is now.
Carl

What is a "true restoration"? Original green shapes, tree removal, and the "great hazard" now scruffy and playable as opposed to mounds with thick, unplayable rough. Is the course exactly like it was in 1926? No, but I'll take it.
Mr Hurricane

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
Jim:
Carl

What is a "true restoration"? Original green shapes, tree removal, and the "great hazard" now scruffy and playable as opposed to mounds with thick, unplayable rough. Is the course exactly like it was in 1926? No, but I'll take it.

Didn't have a particular definition in mind . . . just meant to distinguish what it sounds like was done from something that's called a restoration but is really almost all new.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
Jim:
Carl

Didn't have a particular definition in mind . . . just meant to distinguish what it sounds like was done from something that's called a restoration but is really almost all new.

It is very similar to what was there. The changes may be subtle to people that have not played it a thousand times. If you played it once, you will sense some of the changes though. The greens are the biggest change. Let me know when you want to play it again.
Mr Hurricane

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »

I was fortunate enough to get a last minute invite from a PGA Professional friend of mine who works in Baltimore to play the East Course yesterday. I wasn't able to see the course prior to the recent work, but the course was fantastic yesterday.

The greens were very firm and healthy, were running very true and fairly quick. The bunkers also looked great. In my opinion, which doesn't mean much, a few more trees could be taken down (especially a couple of pines that still come into play on a hole or two), but overall, the course provided some great views. Perhaps a little more texture with fescue could be added too, but what fescue is already there looked fantastic.

Boy did it play long. We played from 6,600+ yards and it played every bit of 6,800+ yards. This was mostly due to elevation changes rather than watering. Regardless, it was a tremendously fun course to play, even with the constant challenge. I felt the mix of holes was great...there weren't a lot of really long "beat you up" type holes back-to-back-to-back, and the "easier" holes still presented a strong challenge and really made us think about how to play our shots.

I played Philadelphia Cricket Club's Wissahickon for the first time at the end of May this year, and to compare it for architectural reasons (Tillinghast, Foster), I honestly can't say which I prefer...both are very strong. I'll have to let that marinate for a bit and decide later (not like it matters).

The gentlemen we played with wanted to take golf cars, which is unfortunate because I prefer to walk, but our forecaddie, Jerome, was excellent. He was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, polite and had a great sense of humor. He even told us that his grandfather is in the Caddie Hall of Fame at Pinehurst! If you ever play there and have the option to request a caddie by name, I would highly recommend Jerome.

Below are a few photos that I snapped from yesterday, untouched by Photoshop, so they're not perfect.

No. 1

No. 2

No. 4

No. 5

No. 6

No. 7

No. 7

No. 10

No. 10

No. 12

No. 12

No. 14

No. 15

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:01:32 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 03:55:26 PM »
Matt,

Fantastic photos.  The scale of the property and course is really well served by the tree removal.
One of my favorites!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
Matt - great photos!   Bausch would be proud :)

Jim - Congratulations!!  The course looks fantastic!

Brian Bowman

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
Goodness gracious, that looks just fantastic, those greens shapes are beautiful! Congratulations

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »
Keith Foster has the 'midas touch'. He does what the original architect would do if he came back in 2015. Never puts his personal stamp on a golden age classic and disdains any personal attribution. His work epitomizes what a restoration is all about. Congrats to Five Farms! Looks fantastic!

MCirba

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for sharing this update.

I may have missed it but we're the greens rebuilt to USGA spec as part of the project?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim Sherma

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
Five Farms is one of my favorite courses I've had the pleasure of playing. I think it touches all of the boxes that constitute greatness and in my opinion it should be much higher in the rankings than it sits. The sheer amount of high quality and memorable holes is stunning. Two years since playing it holes 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17 all readily come to mind as holes of distinction. I'm not sure there is a truly weak hole on the course. The restoration looks great, although the presentation when I played it was wonderful as well. Very special place, and drinks in the Adirondack chairs around the putting green afterwards is a nice cherry on top.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
I may have missed it but we're the greens rebuilt to USGA spec as part of the project?

Mike: Yes, I believe all the greens were rebuilt to USGA spec, and (most of) the original contours were recreated. However, our forecaddie did mention that a few of the slopes may have been softened a bit on a select few greens to help create more hole positions (he mentioned Nos. 12 and 15 specifically to me).

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 10:49:48 PM »
I had a chance to play Five Farms a few weeks backs. Beyond the green reconstruction and tree removal, all fairways were replanted with bent grass as opposed to the old rye. Playability has improved dramatically. Best in class playing surfaces now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back