News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Ron Prichard
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
continues to transform a good golf course into a great golf course.

For years the 7th hole at Mountain Ridge had remained a mystery.

It was out of context with the balance of the golf course.

It bore no resemblance to the 1929 field drawings crafted by Ross.
Yet, every other hole/green on the course was built as drawn in 1929.
Many theories were put forth regarding the old 7th green

As green speeds increased, the 7th hole's punchbowl green's cupping area was reduced to a very small area.
Making for a boring putting surface, once reached.

Ron Prichard recently restored the 7th green to reflect it's configuration in the 1929 drawings.

The putting surface is like so many other putting surfaces at MRCC, divided into tiers with spines and contours providing variety and incredible interest.

The bunkering is also in keeping with the bunker style found throughout the course.

Today, the hole is exponentially better than the prior hole.

Previously, Ron had restored the short 12th hole to it's original configuration.
Misguided souls had planted numerous trees, totally altering the playing corridors on # 12, and they had shifted the fairway.
Ron did a really great job in restoring the hole.

But, the following hole, # 13, was dull.
While too many cooks can spoil the broth, the same holds true for golf holes.
Ron has transformed the 13th hole into a very interesting hole by restoring a creek along the right side of a very, very generous fairway and introducing a left side fairway bunker.
Now, the golfer has to consider how to play the hole on his drive and subsequent shots.
In order to avoid the creek on the right, do you play toward the bunker on the left ?
Can you carry the bunker on the left ?
And, for the long hitter, the right side creek crosses the fairway, requiring him to consider club selection off the tee.

Last but not least, the 18th green could no longer accomodate today's green speeds.
The hole is difficult enough with a perfectly flat green, but, a sloped two tiered green wouldn't allow approach and recovery shots from remaining on the green, often ending up 10, 20 and 30 yards back down the fairway.

In general, I'm stridently opposed to altering classic greens for tournaments.
But, in this case, the general membership couldn't handle the green.
Ron rotated the green on it's axis, expanded it and provided a playing surface over the green that's no longer 4 inch rough, but, a fairway length runoff area with but a slight slope.

Individually and collectively, the changes are outstanding and have enhanced the play of the course dramatically.

And, the real beauty of the restoration/alteration ?

You'd never know that Ron was there.

There are no fingerprints or ego markings.

You'd be hard pressed to distinquish Ron's work from Ross's work.

Now, while I was previously opposed to altering the slope of the back right of the 17th green, after seeing what Ron did on # 18, I'm now in favor of a softening of that portion of the green.

At any course, rarely do you find unanimity in acceptance of changes, but, I haven't heard one member speak of the changes Ron crafted, in negative terms.  Every member I've spoken with has been enthusiastic and praiseworthy of Ron's work.

In looking for imperfections, I couldn't find any.

For any course looking to find the balance between playability and the retention of the original architects style, Ron Prichard would be amongst my first recommendations.

What a great job !

MCirba

Re: Ron Prichard
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
Pat,

Ron is a purist in the best sense of the word in that he always errs on the side of trying to do the best thing with respect to historical intent as he interprets it, and he's a very open minded, sensitive artist.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
I think he was only somewhat successful in the renovations he made at Dartmouth's Hanover CC. Some of the new stuff in the middle of the layout (11 and 12, I think) fixed a problem spot on the course. But the new hole at 16 is only average. The new hole at 17 is pretty bad. And it was a bummer to lose the downhill par 3 (17 on the old routing, maybe?).

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
I think he was only somewhat successful in the renovations he made at Dartmouth's Hanover CC. Some of the new stuff in the middle of the layout (11 and 12, I think) fixed a problem spot on the course. But the new hole at 16 is only average. The new hole at 17 is pretty bad. And it was a bummer to lose the downhill par 3 (17 on the old routing, maybe?).

Dan,

What were his employer's marching orders to him on that project ?

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
He sparkled in Philly.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »

Dan,

What were his employer's marching orders to him on that project ?

I have no idea. I can't know what was said between employer and employee. All I can do is react to the finished work. And the new 17th is a bad hole. Not saying Prichard needs to shoulder all the blame. Perhaps he was a strawman for Dartmouth. However, if the renovation was an overwhelming success, he would be getting all the praise. So it seems only fair that he take ownership of a less positive result.

I don't want to be overly critical here. The work he did on tee boxes and greens made the course much better. And the middle of the layout new holes are good. But each time I play 16 and 17 I dislike them more and more.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:50:58 AM by Dan_Callahan »

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
Pat,
I've enjoyed everything I have played that he has done.  Which are only a few.  I didn't realize Ron was working on Mountain Ridge recently.  I knew he was heavily involved in Republican politics and thought he was on a sabbatical to work with Chris Christie or Ted Cruz.  I don't remember which one.   ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
Sometimes pictures help...courtesy of Joe Bausch from the 2011 outing/seminar:

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/MountainRidge/index.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
Pat,
I've enjoyed everything I have played that he has done.  Which are only a few.  I didn't realize Ron was working on Mountain Ridge recently.  I knew he was heavily involved in Republican politics and thought he was on a sabbatical to work with Chris Christie or Ted Cruz.  I don't remember which one.   ;D

Now that's the funniest thing I have read in years on this DG, I think there is coffee coming out of my nose.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for posting the photos.

You'll have to revisit MRCC to take photos of the current 7th, 13th and 18th.

I think you'll be quite impressed by Ron'swork.

In discussing the course the other day I mentioned that there's not a bad hole on the course, then corrected myself and said that there's not even a mediocre hole on the course.

It's just solid from the 1st tee to the 18th green.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
Steve - That outing was actually in September 2010.  It was outstanding from start to finish, despite playing in the rain.....Andy

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
Contacted Ron today and he thinks the criticism is valid , so that's good.

Also he has left the Cruz camp and is now considering building a course for the Clinton Foundation. Heavy on style and low on substance, course routing  in the shape of a question mark. Local rules on Hillarys server.

Pat Burke

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 02:17:47 AM »
Contacted Ron today and he thinks the criticism is valid , so that's good.

Also he has left the Cruz camp and is now considering building a course for the Clinton Foundation. Heavy on style and low on substance, course routing  in the shape of a question mark. Local rules on Hillarys server.

All dogleg lefts straighten out after the primary??

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 10:44:30 PM »
I think Ron is a true believer , love chatting with him. However cannot agree with his politics . He did dome great work in Philly however.

Pat Burke

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 05:11:43 AM »
So, I think this is interesting.  I spent a decent amount of time at Mountain Ridge years ago.
I agree that 7 green just didn't seem right.  And I am glad they did the work there.

18 is interesting though.  Without a doubt, a very severe green.  And I always thought it was
on/to over the edge some days.

But at a Ross course that seems impressively loyal to Ross' plans, it sounds like 18 is a big change?

Was 18 (like 7) different than what Ross planned/envisioned?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 05:56:15 PM »
Pat,

# 18 green was built pretty much as diagramed, but increased green speeds rendered a good deal of the putting surface useless.

Ron essentially rotated the green on its axis diminishing the severity of the slope and making the green more playable.

I think you'd approve of the change

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 04:29:49 AM »
Pat,

# 18 green was built pretty much as diagramed, but increased green speeds rendered a good deal of the putting surface useless.

Ron essentially rotated the green on its axis diminishing the severity of the slope and making the green more playable.

I think you'd approve of the change

hope to see the place again

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
Pat,

I'll take some photos and have them posted for you

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
Having only seen photos of Mountain Ridge, I feel his bunker work at Minikahda was some of his best work, but then I'm a little bias.
Wait until his work is seen from Olympic Hills in Eden Prairie, MN, probably some of his boldest work to date on both greens and bunkers.
Jeff Johnson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back