News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Emil Loeffler and John McGlynn
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Loeffler has been discussed a bit lately on recent threads, but we didn't touch on his partnership with his predecessor at Oakmont, John McGlynn.  The Dec. 1924 Golf Illustrated article below describes the rather speedy implementation of one course from their collaboration (Willow Springs in San Antonio, fka Woodlands GC).  The article also notes that the two had worked on the following courses (in addition to "numerous other courses throughout the East"):

Oakmont
Nemacolin -
New Kensington - this is Hill Crest CC
Wykagyl - I've only seen one reference to this work (on here from MacWood), am curious as to what was done
Shannopin - fka Ben Avon CC
Monongahela
Alcoma
Montour Heights
Butler
Edgewood

If anyone has any more information on the duo, please let me know.  I'd like to get a complete list together of their work (beyond what is in C&W), and to learn more about the extent of the partnership.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:11:08 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MCirba

Re: Emil Loeffler and John McGlynn
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »
Sven,

I played Willow Springs about 20 years ago but the pair have always fascinated me as well.  I'll review my notes and write more here soon.  Great idea for a thread!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »
Here's what I have for a list (* denote C&W listings) -

Michigan

Red Run GC* (??, Detroit)

New York

Wykagyl CC (Pre-1924, New Rochelle)

Pennsylvania

Alcoma CC* (1923, Pittsburgh/Wilkinson)
Ambridge CC *(1923, Ambridge)
Beaver Valley CC* (??, Beaver Falls/Patterson Heights) - Club dates back to 1903
Bucknell GC (1930, Lewisburg)
Butler CC* (Pre-1924, Butler) - Course expanded to 18 holes some time prior to 1929
Cedar Rocks CC* (??, Wheeling)
Chartiers CC* (1923, Pittsburgh)
Del Mar CC* aka Connoquenessing CC (1919, Ellwood City)
Edgewood CC* (Pre-1924, Pittsburgh)
Green Oaks CC* fka Westmoreland CC (??, Pittsburgh)
Greene County CC* (1915, Waynesburg)
Hannastown CC* (1919, Greensburg)
Highland CC* (1920, Pittsburgh/Bellevue)
Hill Crest CC* (1923, New Kensington)
Huntingdon Valley CC* (??, Philadelphia)
Kittanning CC* (1922, Kittanning)
Latrobe CC* (1921, Latrobe)
Monongahela Valley CC* (Pre-1924, Monongahela)
Montour Heights CC* (Pre-1920, Coraopolis)
Nemacolin CC* (1920, Beallsville)
North Park GC (1933, Allison Park)
Oakmont CC* (Multiple Years, Oakmont)
Oakmont CC (East)* (1938, Oakmont)
Pittsburgh Field Club* (1925, Pittsburgh)
Pleasant Valley CC* (1921, Mount Pleasant)
Shannopin CC* aka Ben Avon CC (1920, Pittsburgh)
St. Jude CC* (??, Chicora)
Tam O'Shanter GC (1929, Hermitage)
Titusville GC* (1917, Titusville)
Uniontown CC* (??, Uniontown)
Wildwood GC* (1927, Pittsburgh)

Texas

Willow Springs CC* aka Woodlands GC (1924, San Antonio)

West Virginia

Williams CC* (1931, Weirtown)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:32:46 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
Willow Springs CC (the subject of the article in the first post) is credited as having the second 9 holes added by John Bredemus.

By all appearances, Loeffler and McGlynn built 18 holes, as described in the article and as you can make out in the photo it contains.

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:29:25 PM »
JohnV would know better, but I'd say they only did 9 at Hannastown. I recall him mentioning another modern architect was brought in to build a second 9. It's pretty obvious if you play it; not in a bad way, just a different way.

Warms my heart to see North Park on any list on golfclubatlas.com. Good luck to you, Sven.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
Sven,
Happy to catch up off line.  I have done a lot of research on Loeffler, talked with his living relatives, and worked on his courses the latest being Bucknell (did a Master Plan years ago and continue to work away at it as funds become available).  Also did a really cool plan with Forrest Richardson for revitalizing Oakmont East which sadly looks like it is instead going to turn into a permanent U.S.Open parking lot.  Big loss and mistake as far a golf and golf architecture is concerned 😢

Email me if you'd like.
Mark

Chris Pearson

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »
What a cool find! I played Willow Springs last fall and rather enjoyed the layout (except for the 660yd 2nd hole, which allowed for no more than a 4-iron off the tee).

At the time, I was only able to find credits for both Loeffler and McGlynn—in other words, no credible attribution for Bredemus. This article strengthens the claim that L&M were responsible for all 18 holes.

Finally, I'm not familiar with the renovation/restoration history of the course, but I was impressed by how few trees were annoyingly in play. I don't recall thinking "chainsaw" at any point during my round, which is quite refreshing for a course built in 1925.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back