News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Fedeli

Elevated crater greens?
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »
What are some notable examples? I've never played one that I can recall but I have it in mind that few greens would be more fun to experience.

Here's what got me thinking about it: I was wandering the dunes at Crane Beach in Ipswich, MA when I came across what was essentially a large crater set 10-15 feet up in a massive dune. The front rim was about 4 feet higher than the bottom of the bowl, creating a semi-blind approach, and the back rim was about 10 feet higher, creating a wonderful backdrop.

These might not get the point across, but I took a couple pics.

From the front, looking up at the raised front rim (that obscures the bowl) and at the tall backstop beyond:

From behind, looking down into the bowl (which is deeper than it appears here) and how elevated it is from the "fairway" beyond:

South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Rich Goodale

Re: Elevated crater greens?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
Thanks for those pictures, Mark, as I spent part of most summers of my early life(up through the mid-60's) on Crane's beach, and they bring back great memories (even though those craters you photographed are probably not those I observed 50+ years ago, given how much those dunes move).

As for examples on golf courses, the 17th green at Dornoch is a great example.  If you drive to the lower fairway (amateur line) you have a 150=200 yard uphill blind shot to the punchbowl green.  If you take the flat belly line of a mid-iron to the top left fairway, you have a 160-180 downhill shot to a fully exposed green.  There are many more I can think of, but not right now.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
If a green was constructed as a crater it would soon be known as a soup bowl, not a punch bowl, no?  ;D   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »
If a green was constructed as a crater it would soon be known as a soup bowl, not a punch bowl, no?  ;D  

You've coined a new template!

Rich, my pleasure. The trail system they currently have there in and out of the dunes and woodlands is fantastic. Just don't tell anyone I went off-piste to get that second picture.

So what are some notable crater greens, elevated or not? Am I correct that they are largely a thing of the past, when standing water was more commonly accepted? I've only found a few references to specific holes, and not much discussed here on GCA. Darwin described the 9th at Porthcawl as being "a long carry up a hill on to a crater green". I've also read of the 2nd at Ravenwood and 12th at St. Louis CC, as well as examples being at Forsgate and Lahinch.

Also, does the crater description typically refer to the mounding around the green and not the green sides themselves, is that what differentiates it from a punchbowl?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:44:28 AM by Mark Fedeli »
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
I played it only once and that about 20+ years ago, so I may be mistaken, but there is I believe a long par three at Gullane No. 2 (maybe the 11th?) that is uphill and has a green inside what looks a bit like a crater (in my memory anyway). Can anyone confirm?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
5th and 10th at Painswick?
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back