News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Tanner

Public golf options in western PA
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:54:36 PM »
I'll be driving from Va. Beach to Toledo two weeks from now and would like to break up the trip with an overnight stay and a round of golf. I figure somewhere around Pittsburgh will be the place. So I'm looking for options with architectural interest, reasonable access to the turnpike and walkable for a flatlander.

I did a quick search and Birdsfoot and Quicksilver turned up. What others would you recommend? Thanks in advance for local knowledge.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Brian Finn

Re: Public golf options in western PA
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Bedford Springs. Very close to the turnpike, and arguably the best public course in the state. Can't do much better for architectural interest, as Tillinghast and Ross each left their mark on the course, which was brilliantly restored by Forse design.  You can even stay onsite. Very walkable.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:05:50 PM »
3 lakes is s former cc that is a solid course by Emil Loefler

Pittsburgh National is a solid Ron Forse design

North Hills is a very good Loefler muni

Hope this helps

Chris

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
I second Bedford Springs.  Not necessary to stay at the resort but it's a great place to stay and play golf.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33797.0.html

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/BedfordSprings/index.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:50 AM »

Do you mean North Park?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:02 AM »
Champion Lakes in Ligioner is near the turnpike and an excellent course.
Be the ball

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »

Do you mean North Park?

Yes, that is the Emil Loeffler course!

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
Lots of options, not all are good...

First question: does cost matter to you? The more highly thought of publics in the region tend to be $$$ - Mystic Rock (Pete Dye southeast of the Burgh), Olde Stonewall (highly rated, not recommended by yours truly) north of the Burgh. Both are pretty pricey, imho not worth the cost.

Next question: walkable to a flatlander? Man, that eliminates just about every course in the Burgh except maybe Fox Chapel... :) Even Oakmont is pretty hilly (best use of hills in all of golf, no question, anyone who says otherwise is certifiably insane, even if his name is Tom...). North Park, my home course and where my heart lies, is pretty hilly. They don't call it the North Hills (our geographic region) for nothing. Birdsfoot is pretty hilly, as is Quicksilver. I've walked both, would say Quicksilver is probably an easier walk, but neither is what one would call easy, at least from a hilly standpoint. Green to tee walks on both are pretty manageable, but the elevation changes are significant - not mountain courses, but signficant.

Proximity to the Turnpike? You might want to check out some of the courses north of the city, as Butler and Cranberry are both close to Turnpike exits. Cranberry Highlands is probably convenient to the Turnpike. Haven't played it, as it was built right around when my son was born and I stopped playing much golf.

My gut recommendations: I really like Quicksilver. They used to host a Senior Tour event (back when it was called the Senior Tour...). And it's not very pricey, though I haven't been there in awhile. I love North Park, the muni I have played by far the most, but I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who isn't an old school walking purist. Conditions are iffy (it's a muni), hazards aren't much - but it is a wonderful walk, imho. If you choose it, please send me a message, I would love to join you if I can (heck, I'd pay your $15 green fee... :)).

Public golf in the Burgh can't really compare to private golf. We're talking basic basic mom and pop type stuff versus all world privates, unless you are spending an arm and leg for the highly overrated MR and OS.

Wish I could comment more on Bedford Springs, it's rebirth coincides with my relative lapse from the game... It's not really western PA, imho, but I can see how others might call it that. I think it's relatively close to the Turnpike, from what I understand.

Pittsburgh National - formerly Deer Run - is a solid modern course that's relatively cheap. Kind of a b@tch to find, although GPS makes it much easier. I always enjoy a round there.

Lastly, a shout out to Pheasant Ridge... a friend of mine is involved there, so I am HUGELY biased, and the former owner, deceased, was the subject of some wonderful threads on here. If you go there, please contact me, I would love to join you there as well, or at least buy you a beer.

(P.S. didn't mean to make it sound like I was inviting myself, though in retrospect I think I kinda did... just excited to see someone ask about my home. I love it for reasons that go far beyond golf.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:22:41 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »

Wish I could comment more on Bedford Springs, it's rebirth coincides with my relative lapse from the game... It's not really western PA, imho, but I can see how others might call it that. I think it's relatively close to the Turnpike, from what I understand.

But I bet it's pretty close to the midpoint of the trip . . .

astavrides

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »
Bedford Springs rocks. Champion Lakes, Quicksilver, Pittsburgh National, and Cranberry, all mentioned earlier, are solid. Mystic Rock and Olde Stonewall are solid, if not great, and pricey as George alluded to.  I don't care for Birdsfoot much.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:10 AM »
Hard to pass up a course rated #1 public in PA by GolfWeek  with a Ross/Tillinghast heritage( Ron Forse renovation) and a famous Volcano hole(#4) so don't pass up Beford Springs. If you don't stay at the hotel, take a tour. It's on the National Register of Historic places.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Tang

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 07:12:12 PM »
I lived in Pittsburgh for about 3 years and lived in the North Hills. Interesting to see North Park discussed here as I played that course more than any other while I lived there. The reasons are partly because I lived fairly close to it but I also found it to be a fun course to play even with multiple plays. Like most courses in Western PA a lot of elevation change but there is quite a variety of holes there and thought it made good use of the land. It was a great course for a home base.
So bad it's good!

Mike Tanner

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
Thanks to all for your interest in one man's never-ending quest to work a round of golf into just about any other endeavor. Bedford Springs is leading the pack thus far. The green fee's a little steep, but if I don't stay on property, I save a couple of C-notes. Bargain! I would love to stay there, though. I cut my advertising and marketing teeth writing about grand heritage hotels like that.

George Pazin! I would be honored to share a golf course and a couple of beers with you. If I change my plans to do the return trip in a straight shot, (the road breaks downhill from the Alleghenies to the coast), I'll get in touch with you.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back