News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Hole 16, 405 Yards, Par 4
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:00:26 PM »

Signature Hole

When you get down to it, there is really only one qualification for the title of “Signature Hole” for any given golf course; how good does it look on a cover of a magazine?

This is why so many signature holes have water features, dramatic vistas, and/or overabundance of bunkers dotting the way. Most architects use every trick in the bag to make sure that at least one hole on every course they build is “camera-ready”. After a while, finding them (a hole where the architect clearly spent a little more time than others) on a new course almost becomes a fun game.

From this point of view, the most obvious signature hole at Chambers Bay is the #15, the most photographed hole at Chambers Bay (probably due to the Puget Sound in the background with the lone tree hovering over a gorgeous hole). You can also make an argument for #14, which seems to be the most popular with the players, or perhaps #10, which is as pretty as holes come.

I have a slightly different definition of “Signature Hole”. To me, this is a hole that embodies what the entire course is about, a hole that not only accurately represents what the golfer will encounter on 17 other holes, but best represents the “ethos” of the architecture as well.

In this regard, I believe #16 represents Chambers Bay better than any other hole. It is located right next to the beach where you can smell the salt in the air. Reflecting its muni nature, the hole has a public path to the left (where people frequently stop to watch how horrible your drive is) and train tracks to the right. It has heaving mounds to the left, undulating fairway, and plenty of sand everywhere. Alas, it has the smallest green on the property (everything can’t be perfect), but it is Chambers Bay through and through.

Tee Shot

When the sun is out, waves are gently lapping, and sea lions are relaxing out on the piers, there aren’t many places in the world you would rather be. The tee shot is spectacular as Puget Sound is right next to you and the dunes on the left perfectly frames the entire hole.

The main thing you need to avoid is the rough (B) and the dune (C) to the left. Due to the left-to-right sloping fairway, the first instinct is to favor the left side. I would argue that the chance of ending up in the rough to the left would negate any benefits. The sand on the right (D) is actually not a terrible place to hit your second shot. The ball should roll towards the bottom where it is relatively flat and you have a very good angle, albeit blind, to the green.

If you are long hitter, you may be able to hit your drive far enough that you can hit past the bunker on the right and end up just short of the green (E). This is a huge advantage to the long hitters as not only do you bypass most of the hazard, but you end up close enough to the green (with an ideal angle) that all pin positions are wide open to you.

USGA has also intimated that they may set this hole as a driveable par 4. I am not a huge fan of this setup as it takes away the fear of the second shot away from this hole (which is what really makes this hole great). I also believe this is a relatively simple hole when the green is reachable from the tee. The chances of hitting the green from the tee is remote, the green is tiny and firm, you need to figure out which side you prefer when you miss.

I prefer the right side (H, J) as while the bunker is deep, it is an uphill shot and for the pros this should be a relatively simple up and down. Missing to the left, especially in the bunker (I), is much more difficult as the green runs away from you and there is very little of it to stop your shot. However, leaving your drive short of the green is probably the wisest choice as you should end up on the right side of the fairway with a great angle to the green.

Approach Shot

If you are sitting in the middle of the fairway (A), your only thought should be hitting the green, no matter where the pin is. The back half of the green should be off limits as not only is it extremely narrow, there is a pretty good chance that your approach will end up in the sand even if you land on the green with your approach shot. You need to favor missing it short. If you end up on the left side (G), as long as you are short of the bunker, you should be okay.

If you are in the rough, all is not lost. With the huge bump short and left of the green, you only need to hit your shot 100 to 130 yards to reach the green (it probably won’t stay there though). If the long grass grabs the club face and end up hooking your ball, as long as you didn’t hit too much club, you should end up okay as all balls to the left of the green feeds down to the collection area (G).

From the right bunker, you have a relatively simple shot. You have a straight on angle to the green and can think about even approaching the back pin positions (though I would not recommend it). If you hit it slightly fat, it is fine as your ball will be just short of the green and you should have a pretty good chance of going up and down. The only obstacle may be that your lie may be below your feet.

Around the Green

Anywhere short of the green, should be a very simple up and down, especially to the front half pin positions. The green is uphill, the entrance is wide, and there is no severe internal green movements to deal with. You can even use a putter as distance control will be at premium. If you are going for the back half of the green, it is extremely delicate as once the ball goes over the ridge it will speed up towards the back. It is very easy to leave the ball in the bunker (H).

From the left collection area, any front pin is very accessible. It is a bit tricky as the green is running away from you, but using a putter, it should not pose too difficult of a challenge. The pin in the back will be troublesome, however. Because of the ridge and the fact that everything is running away from you, there is very narrow landing area for any sort of a lob or a chip. Even putting will be difficult as you will not be able to keep your ball in line towards any left side pin.

If you are in the left bunker (I), your options are severely limited. The greens run away from you and there may not be enough green to stop your ball from running into the bunker on the opposite side, especially if the pin is in the back half. You may be required to hit the ball towards the fat part of the green no matter where the pin is.

If you are in the right bunker (J, H), you have more options as the slope of the green will help slow your ball down. The bunker is deep and sometimes a ball that just rolls off the green will get stuck in the intermediary rough which will require an extraordinary amount of creativity to extricate the ball. But as long as you have a decent lie you should be able to go for the pin.

Putting

This green is small and does not feature heavy internal contours. The most prominent feature is the ridge that bisects the green, front and back.

While almost every putt breaks towards the water, the front right features a rise that will push balls back towards the green. Any pin in the area (3) will be tricky as double breaks will be common.

The front left (4) is the most accessible pin as relatively simple shots are options from almost every angle. While there is some slope here, the ball doesn’t break as much as other parts of the green and birdies can be had.

Any pin just beyond the ridge (2) will be problematic as the ridge repels all shots and any chip or approach will run out to the back of the green. This is also a very hard putt as there are two breaks to contend with (left to right and front to back). The ball will break more than it looks here.

The very back pin will be very tough to get to, but once you get there, it should be relatively simple putt. There is a very steady left to right break and the slope is fairly gentle in the very back of the green. Trying to get here from the front half will be quite tricky as there is not enough room on the left to account for the left to right break required to get close to the pin.

This is a great hole to look at and even more enjoyable to play. Depending on what USGA does, this could be a birdie-fest.

Brent Carlson

Re: Photo Tour - Chambers Bay - US Open Edition - Hole 16
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »
Rich,

Should Chambers build up the right edge of the back of the green so that excellent approaches are rewarded?  I feel the rear pin is too penal and even from 50 yards I play for the middle of the green.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:51 PM »
Pretty hole.

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Matthew Essig

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
I, too, love this hole. Two things I would like to point out.

#1: The photo below flattens just how steep and deep that fairway bunker is. The nickname of the hole is "Beached." A couple of my rounds have been beached by that bunker. A ball that doesn't roll all the way down the face to the flat several feet below the fairway will leave you on a sideslope of sand. A stance can be difficult considering your feet either dig way down into the slope or cause sand slides.

#2: The front left knob, pictured below, may become very troublesome. With the increased firmness and speed, I have a feeling it might reject shots working left to right into the right bunker. If this is the case, that means a straight or right to left shot would become required. This is a tough ask with a majority of the fairway tilted left to right (pictured two below).

"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »
Flat is not the word that comes to mind.  :(
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
Brent, I don't think so. This is really an easy hole, as long as you have the patience not to go for the pin when the situation is not in your favor. It is Sunday and you are 1 stroke behind the leader, you just hit a great drive, and the pin is in the back. Will you risk it all and go for it? Or leave it short and hope that you can make a long putt? I think this will be great drama.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:22 PM »
Brent, I don't think so. This is really an easy hole, as long as you have the patience not to go for the pin when the situation is not in your favor. It is Sunday and you are 1 stroke behind the leader, you just hit a great drive, and the pin is in the back. Will you risk it all and go for it? Or leave it short and hope that you can make a long putt? I think this will be great drama.
Rich,

I agree with this and truly hope to see the back pin used on Sunday. This is the hole I am looking most forward to see how the pros approach it. Great hole with many scores in play.

William_G

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
Rich,

I agree with this and truly hope to see the back pin used on Sunday. This is the hole I am looking most forward to see how the pros approach it. Great hole with many scores in play.

that is very narrow back there, essentially unplayable, are you a sadist?, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
Rich,

;D ;D

that is very narrow back there, essentially unplayable, are you a sadist?, LOL

Matthew Essig

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 11:18:11 PM »
The video tours have reached the final 3 hole stretch.

From the local affiliate:

http://q13fox.com/2015/05/31/u-s-open-hole-by-hole-preview-hole-16-chambers-bay-golf-links/

From the Gil Hanse tour:

http://www.foxsports.com/golf/usga/video?vid=453489731687
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back