News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Cowden

Re: Best Poa Annua Greens You've Ever Putted….
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
Pasatiempo.

Poa is a problem at Bandon.

Matt Wharton

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »
Had the pleasure of playing Coronado Municipal in Feb of 2013 and was blown away with the putting surfaces.  Pure Poa typical of Southern California and as smooth as pool tables.  Considering staff & budget plus number of annual rounds played would put them up against any of the "big boys" previously mentioned.
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

William_G

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 10:16:32 PM »

and the solution is ?
It's all about the golf!

John Kirk

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »

and the solution is ?

Wait until it's no longer a problem.  Bandon's courses must transition to Poa annua.

Older Pacific Northwest courses have nice Poa annua greens.  In the Portland area, Royal Oaks GC in Vancouver is often cited as having fast, smooth greens.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:50:55 PM by John Kirk »

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 02:55:16 AM »
How do all these poa greens play in winter...if the courses are open in winter?  This is the big problem in the UK with poa...they are spongy or just downright saturated in winter. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jordan Caron

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 03:12:06 AM »
Hands down Tacoma Country & Golf Club. The Pacific Northwest is perfect for poa, it never gets too hot to burn out or goes to seed to the point where they are bumpy.

Really want to get down there and play Tacoma and Fircrest this summer.

Having just played Seattle Golf Club on Mothers Day, I have to say those were the best poa greens I've putted on. 12.2 and smooth.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:28 AM »
Augusta National appears to me to be mostly Poa, but having never putted them, those could not be nominated by me

I'm no expert on Augusta, but I'm pretty sure they are 100% bent.

they don't look like bent to me when I'm at a practice round, but I could be wrong of course

They are 100%, pure bent grass.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

William_G

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
Augusta National appears to me to be mostly Poa, but having never putted them, those could not be nominated by me

I'm no expert on Augusta, but I'm pretty sure they are 100% bent.

they don't look like bent to me when I'm at a practice round, but I could be wrong of course

They are 100%, pure bent grass.

sounds good, they are so tightly moved, and dried out with every color a grass/weed could be...purple yellow brown green black...just fantastic...didn't realize bent did that
It's all about the golf!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
Bandon Crossings.  No joke.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Carl Johnson

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
Linville Golf Club, Linville, N.C.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 05:47:36 AM »
In England, Ealing Golf Club seem to be the best - certainly they get the most publicity. Lots have been waiting for the HGK to come unstuck, but he hasn't yet.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
LACC before the redo but I dont know now. Also Vandenberg AFB Marshalia Ranch had amazing greens.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JimB

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 10:05:34 PM »
LACC before the redo but I dont know now. Also Vandenberg AFB Marshalia Ranch had amazing greens.

Almost halfway between those two is La Cumbre Country Club. Consistently excellent.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:38 AM »
Fisher's Island... Firm. True. Amazing.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 05:38:37 AM »
In England, Ealing Golf Club seem to be the best - certainly they get the most publicity. Lots have been waiting for the HGK to come unstuck, but he hasn't yet.

Beat me to it Ryan. HGK there has a good concept that he follows. It produces good putting surfaces even through the winter. I played there a few years ago now in mid January and the course was on full greens which putted really well. It certainly is not my philosophy but hats off to him it certainly works.

Brett,

all greens in the UK have some poa in them but those courses you mention would have less than 50% stand of poa and so not considered a poa green by myself.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 07:15:06 AM »
Brett,

all greens in the UK have some poa in them but those courses you mention would have less than 50% stand of poa and so not considered a poa green by myself.

Thanks, Jon.

Having lived my whole life in South Carolina the only two kinds of grass I can identify are called "Bermuda" and "not Bermuda".  :(

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
Brett,

Thanks, Jon.

Having lived my whole life in South Carolina the only two kinds of grass I can identify are called "Bermuda" and "not Bermuda".  :(

;D

Dwight Phelps

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »
Pasatiempo.

I agree. An afternoon round on Trails made it apparent to anyone playing.  Still loved it, though!
"We forget that the playing of golf should be a delightful expression of freedom" - Max Behr

Ryan Coles

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »

Beat me to it Ryan. HGK there has a good concept that he follows. It produces good putting surfaces even through the winter. I played there a few years ago now in mid January and the course was on full greens which putted really well. It certainly is not my philosophy but hats off to him it certainly works.

Brett,

Jon

I think Ealing have a healthy budget to allow him to weave his magic, I think he puts down something like 300 tonne of dressing every year, cuts at 2mm, new blades, constant grinding etc. Can't knock him though, it works for him and he's elevated the status of Ealing (and himself) massively.

He says that it is sustainable - meadow grass is indigenous and to be fair all but probably 5 star places like Grove, Wisley and Queenwood, everyone who has ever fought poa in this country, inland, generally loses.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
Ryan,

you are quite right. Nothing wrong with a healthy amount of poa in the sward though.

Jon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
Pasatiempo.

I agree. An afternoon round on Trails made it apparent to anyone playing.  Still loved it, though!

Dwight:

How long ago did you play?  And did you think there was a poa "problem" on the greens at Pac?

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Alex Miller

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
Pasatiempo.

Dwight:

How long ago did you play?  And did you think there was a poa "problem" on the greens at Pac?

Sven

Played both courses in February and Pacific's greens were running better than Trails FWIW... not sure of the Poa mix in either though.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »
Pasatiempo.

Dwight:

Sven

Played both courses in February and Pacific's greens were running better than Trails FWIW... not sure of the Poa mix in either though.

Right now there's more Poa in the greens at Pac than at Trails. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »
Pasatiempo.

Dwight:

Sven

Right now there's more Poa in the greens at Pac than at Trails. 

All hail Poa  :)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
I can't fathom ay poa greens better than the set I played today at Illahe Hills (Salem,OR)

At BDGR, both Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes recently changed their maintenance protocols to facilitate poa annua. Bandon Trails and Old MacDonald are still maintained for fescue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back