News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Best Poa Annua Greens You've Ever Putted….
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
The thread on Pebble's 17th hole got me thinking. Tiger evidently said that he wouldn't return to the AT&T because of Pebble's bumpy poa greens, and someone in the thread remarked that poa is just fine to putt on. I agree with both statements: Poa can be a great putting surface early in the day, but a horrible one by 2:00 p.m. and a ridiculously difficult one by 4:00 p.m. Everyone on this site knows that, I think.

I'm curious, though, what are the best (mostly) poa greens you've ever putted on? Here are mine:

The former SCGA Golf Course in Murrieta, CA (formerly Rancho California Golf Course, a RTJ Sr. design, I believe). back in the early 2000's, they were, quite simply, ridiculously good if you played any time before noon. You could get on a putting run on that golf course like no other if you were striking your ball well. They stumped in the 11 to 12 range, and they were just perfect.

Lakeside Golf Club in Burbank, CA. So good. So fast. So tiny. And they hold up remarkably well even when there are 200 players on the course for the Kelly Cup every year.

Bear Creek Golf Club in Murrieta, CA. My home course. Anyone who has played there in the last several years can attest to this. During the fall, winter, and early spring, they are amazingly true and fast. They are such a treat to putt.

Spyglass, in Monterey, CA. These may or may not be mostly poa. I'm pretty sure they are, but not positive. I have played maybe a dozen rounds there, and they have been anywhere from very good to great. The last two times I played, I couldn't believe how good they were, but that was two years ago.

How 'bout the rest of you???

jeffwarne

Re: Best Poa Annua Greens You've Ever Putted….
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:46 PM »
Bethpage Red-always perfect-always, despite heavy play
except this year....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »
Spy I'd certainly rate right at the top for me. They really improved the drainage and reduced the formerly grossly over-watered presentation in the late ' 90s.
The result has been more consistent  putting surfaces for the greens and better agronomics in general day-to-day. PB's greens get  punky and spongy late in the day which leads to the bump city type rolls often encountered during the evenings.
When poa is right ...it's a great putting surface in my view. That said, maintaining it can be a fickle business!
Cheers,
Kris  8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:31:15 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Peter Galea

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:44:28 PM »
Pajaro Valley when I was there.
Pasatiempo when Dean firmed them up.
Half Moon Bay Golf Links in the 80's.
Pebble Beach and Spyglass.
"chief sherpa"

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »
 ???

Not even close in my experience ,  Oakmont , Oakmont , Oakmont !

They are incredibly durable and perfect.

Pine Valleys very very good , but not Oakmont

David Ober

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »
???

Not even close in my experience ,  Oakmont , Oakmont , Oakmont !

They are incredibly durable and perfect.

Pine Valleys very very good , but not Oakmont

Never played there, so can't comment. :-)

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 03:07:50 AM »
The greens on the Ocean Course at the Olympic Club in the early1980's (before the landslide that forced the three par-4's across the road to be abandoned) were excellent, probably better than the greens on the Lake.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:50:17 AM »
Many of the famous northeastern courses are more poa annua, although they'd prefer you call it bent grass ... Oakmont, Winged Foot, Garden City, Oakland Hills, Crystal Downs, etc.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 06:30:24 AM »
Oakmont's truly stand apart.

Others, in order:

Crystal Downs
Winged Foot
Pine Valley
Plainfield
Mountain Ridge
Paramount (far, far superior to Bethpage's IMO)
Fenway
The Country Club at Brookline
Garden City
Ridgewood
Aspen City Muni (back in the day)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:05:15 AM »
Oakmont, followed by Wilshire, back in the day.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

William_G

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »
my club, LOL
It's all about the golf!

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »
My home course's greens are mostly poa, I believe. They have all been in play for at least 90 years. They are really nice putting surfaces.
H.P.S.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »
Many of the famous northeastern courses are more poa annua, although they'd prefer you call it bent grass ... Oakmont, Winged Foot, Garden City, Oakland Hills, Crystal Downs, etc.

Oak Hill East
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Alex Miller

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
Riv and NGLA

Poa might be my favorite surface! It's great if embraced and well maintained.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
I have no idea what grass(es) comprise the greens at most UK courses i've played. Aberdovey had outstanding greens last year as did Birkdale and Alwoodley in 2007 and Deal most years. Delamere Forest last year may have been the finest I've putted on in the UK but they supposedly are only minority Poa. 

In USA the greens at Spyglass were very nice in 2005 if they were indeed largely Poa.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
David,

Tiger did return, for the US Open that MacDowell won! I think the issue with the AT&T is the holes are only moved a foot or two to keep the challenge consistent and four players in each group cause more wear. Also it's harder to keep the greens firm in Jan or Feb.

The upshot of the numerous responses you have received is that Poa is great when maintained by rich people!

I suspect that over 90% of the greens in Cal. started as bent and through aeration, left an avenue for Poa to invade. I have heard that Stanford doesn't use large hole aeration and have been successful at keeping the Poa at bay. Torrey South refused to aerate before the 2008 US Open to try to keep the greens pure bent. The tremendous layer of thatch made it necessary for them to aerate aggressively just before the Open when Mark Woodward took over; Poa came in almost overnight!

Barona Creek still has a large Bent component, but they had people on their hands and knees with pen knives digging the Poa clumps out. The warm and dry microclimate helps a lot too.

Here in SD County there has been a definite shift from overwatered and spongy to firm and dry; Coronado comes to mind. 10 years ago I complained to the Pro Shop that the greens were so wet that 4 irons were leaving giant muddy craters upon impact. They looked at me like I had just dropped in from another planet. I played in their Member Guest for many years and we would volunteer to go off first on day 1 which was tee times, man you could make some putts because no one had walked near the hole. In the Shotgun the next day your make distance shrunk to half due to the bumpy conditions. They now have the dryness dialed in and last weekend we were searching for short iron and wedge ball marks!

Many courses here now have the new Greens Rollers, where the rider sits sideways, they really help smooth out the surface and allow for quicker speeds with a longer cut and little to no compaction.

San Diego CC has the best Poa surfaces here in SD, fast and true.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:51:08 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 02:43:33 PM »
David,

This is true. Their greens are wonderful.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
my club, LOL

Gray,
On Monday, I had the 8:25 tee time, and after downhill putts on 11, 12, 14, and 15, I was convinced that they were the fastest greens I had ever putted on in my life. This was confirmed when talking to one of the members I had played hockey with a year ago, who said that the super measured them at 14.3 on the stimp in the morning. It was an eye-opening experience.

For those wondering, we are talking about Eugene CC. Anyone who watched Casey Martin's charge on the Back 9 in the afternoon would have to believe that Casey would think the same. He hit 3 putts over 30 feet in distance, as he went 4 under on the back nine to avoid the playoff by one. I have to assume that Casey would think Eugene's poa greens are quite good as well.  ;D
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Norbert P

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »

Columbia Edgewater in Portland, Oregon.

(Voted a few years ago by the players of the LPGA as their favorite greens to putt on.) 
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

William_G

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »
my club, LOL

Gray,
On Monday, I had the 8:25 tee time, and after downhill putts on 11, 12, 14, and 15, I was convinced that they were the fastest greens I had ever putted on in my life. This was confirmed when talking to one of the members I had played hockey with a year ago, who said that the super measured them at 14.3 on the stimp in the morning. It was an eye-opening experience.

For those wondering, we are talking about Eugene CC. Anyone who watched Casey Martin's charge on the Back 9 in the afternoon would have to believe that Casey would think the same. He hit 3 putts over 30 feet in distance, as he went 4 under on the back nine to avoid the playoff by one. I have to assume that Casey would think Eugene's poa greens are quite good as well.  ;D

there is nothing better than playing "golf" under championship conditions

glad you could experience it Connor
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
Augusta National appears to me to be mostly Poa, but having never putted them, those could not be nominated by me
It's all about the golf!

David Ober

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »

Many courses here now have the new Greens Rollers, where the rider sits sideways, they really help smooth out the surface and allow for quicker speeds with a longer cut and little to no compaction.

We roll five or six days a week and our greens are generally very, very good at Bear Creek. Rolling greens really helps for sure.

David Ober

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »
Augusta National appears to me to be mostly Poa, but having never putted them, those could not be nominated by me

I'm no expert on Augusta, but I'm pretty sure they are 100% bent.

William_G

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »

I'm no expert on Augusta, but I'm pretty sure they are 100% bent.

they don't look like bent to me when I'm at a practice round, but I could be wrong of course
It's all about the golf!

Nick Schaan

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 06:44:42 PM »
Hands down Tacoma Country & Golf Club. The Pacific Northwest is perfect for poa, it never gets too hot to burn out or goes to seed to the point where they are bumpy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back