News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Stevinson Ranch to Close in July?
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
Just go an e-mail from AmateurGolf.com.

Sad news. Truly an excellent golf course. Enjoyed it every time I played there. The wind could really blow there, too, making it quite a challenging tournament course.

Jeff Fortson

Re: Stevinson Ranch to Close in July?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:55:18 PM »
#nowhitebelt

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »
'Twas the site of a very memorable finish to the one King Putter event I played in. The 18th hole result of my team-mate Evan Fleisher's match proved that even this forum's most esteemed elder statesman can be made to sound foolish for making the "early call" while a ball is still in play...

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »
'Twas the site of a very memorable finish to the one King Putter event I played in. The 18th hole result of my team-mate Evan Fleisher's match proved that even this forum's most esteemed elder statesman can be made to sound foolish for making the "early call" while a ball is still in play...

Evan's chip-in delivered the only tie in King's Putter history allowing So Cal to retain the putter. Night chipping, a hole in one, and many good memories were had that week. Too bad we can't go back one last time for a KP.
#nowhitebelt

Joe Perches

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:37:45 AM »
Too bad we can't go back one last time for a KP.

Doing anything this June?

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:40:39 AM »
Too bad we can't go back one last time for a KP.

Doing anything this June?

I'm sorry to hear about the closing, I had always heard it was good but never journeyed down. I'd be very interested in going after the 5th major, if anyone would want to join.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 04:33:06 AM »
I feel like Rodney Dangerfield, they are closing the scene of my only hole in one.  No respect I tell ya, no respect!

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
Many old-timers in this photo, we look a bit tired as we had to listen to McBride's tale of his hole-in-one again and again ...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:40:30 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Diablo Grande in Patterson also closed due to the drought. 

Is there a running list of how many courses in California have closed?

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »

I haven't seen a list, but Ridgemark in Hollister permanently closed 18 of their 36 holes last year, consolidating parts of each course into a new 18 (and losing a few of their better holes in the process.) Some of the long-time residents who formerly had golf-course property aren't too pleased.

Diablo Grande closed one of their two courses (Legends), the Ranch course remains open.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:49:15 PM by Mark Provenzano »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
Mike, thanks for posting that photograph.  I can't decide if I'd rather be Dan King or Jeff Fortson.  Huntley's out since I wouldn't be caught dead in a John Deere baseball cap.

Hope you're well.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
I had totally forgotten that back when I first met all those guys they weren't like, you know, Old and stuff.

Can't recall where I was when that picture was snapped but I'm sure I was doing something very important.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »

Didn't the Padres just have a rain delay? That didn't help?
Mr Hurricane

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
I don't know if there is a reliable list of closed courses, but there are more on the bubble, at least down here in San Diego. We've lost 3 down here in the last 24 months, and I know at least 3 more that have been rumored to be in serious danger of closing their doors. I think before everything is said and done, California will probably lose about 2-3 dozen courses before things bottom out.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Hoak

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
Hard to quantify, but the combination of the cost and availability of water, together with rounds being down due to the overbuilding of courses, is a tough combination to deal with.  I know of some other California courses that have gone from a profit to a loss due to the increased cost of water alone.
Don't know where it will end--and don't know if it will spread to other states.  But water--cost and supply--is the major issue facing golf today, in my opinion.  And will be for many years to come.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
This was like a knife in my heart last night. I first played Stevinson on opening day as a golf writer and ended up becoming good friends with Harbottle, who described the course as his homage to NGLA. I love Stevinson Ranch - counting it in my top 5 public courses. I mean that sincerely, it is a joy to play. In fact, I was the one who made the suggestion to take KP there . . . . .

John was a great guy who met a tragic, completely unexplainable end. I hate to see such a stunning example of his work get plowed under. I sent an email to George (Kelley) to try and find out the scoop. We can only pray somebody steps in . . . . .

Before it closes, my suggestion would be to gather as many of us as possible to give it a send off. This is a terrible tragedy, just terrible.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
Hard to quantify, but the combination of the cost and availability of water, together with rounds being down due to the overbuilding of courses, is a tough combination to deal with.  I know of some other California courses that have gone from a profit to a loss due to the increased cost of water alone.

Not to mention the value of the land for alternative uses . . . .

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 02:26:03 PM »
Bass Lake golf course in the Sacramento area announced they will be closing on July 1st.

Another course in Rocklin is on the brink. 

This may be just the beginning.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
It makes you wonder how much of these NLE courses' property will be developed into housing and whether there will actually be any less fresh water consumed in the land's next usages.

Pat Burke

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
There are so many bad golf products in SOuthern California.
The bar has been set pretty low for acceptable conditioning and service that
it's not a surprise that many would struggle.
Add water and the cost of playing and there seems a perfect storm for loss

JJShanley

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
http://www.golf.com/golf-plus/death-golf-course-withering-californias-stevinson-ranch?xid=golf_social

Not much discussion of the architectural reasons that GCAers liked the track, but a touching vignette as the same.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
It makes you wonder how much of these NLE courses' property will be developed into housing and whether there will actually be any less fresh water consumed in the land's next usages.

My understanding is that Stevinson Ranch is being closed in order to preserve the water for the owner's adjacent agricultural business; there is no longer enough water to operate both.

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 05:55:04 PM »
The family that owns Stevinson Ranch also owns 1,000 acres of almond trees, which are one of the most water-intensive crops to grow in California. They do not have enough water to maintain both.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/sports/article21424410.html

It is also interesting to read that the course had a nematode problem in recent years. I had assumed that nematodes were more of a problem along the coast of California rather than inland.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:56:59 PM by David_Tepper »

Mike Benham

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »

I suspect that there were a few other factors other than water supply, recall that the Clubhouse and grill burned to the ground a few years back, I believe they have been using trailers since that time.

Also recall that Stevinson Ranch is not all that close to civilization, smack in the middle of the farm community, 30 minutes to Modesto, over an hour to Fresno, perhaps the revenue streams are not what they needed to be.   Factor in the capital outlay to rebuild the clubhouse, maybe it didn't pencil out all that well.

I have heard it was a labor of love for George Kelley but it can't be a money loser either.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 03:18:32 AM »
Similar problems with Diablo Grande. Just too far out of the way and not enough GCA to attract remote golfers.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back