News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt OBrien

Beth page Black Course Conditions
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
Does anybody know the course conditions at Bethpage Black? The answering service that has not been updated since May 1st says the Black course has 6 temporary greens.
Curious if anyone has any better news.

Benjamin Litman

Re: Beth page Black Course Conditions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
Matt: I played it on Sunday (i.e., two days ago). By my count, there were 7 temporary greens, but they are still charging full price. The temporary greens--again, as of Sunday--are on 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 11. Apart from the greens, the course is in excellent shape. One thing that struck me was all the money they have spent resodding the walkways from tees to fairways. Especially for a municipal course, that would seem to be the last place you would direct your limited resources.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »
Why temp greens?  Winter damage?  Aeration?  ????
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
Both, Joe. My understanding is that because of the harsh winter, a lot of courses out here have had to aerate both more and later. (The temporary greens looked fine/playable to me, albeit more recently aerated--but that has never been a reason to keep them closed.) Apparently, once we get a few more "warm nights," all of the greens will open up.
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »
Thanks for the response. I played many rounds there last year and they started the sod process in the fall. I will wait for the greens to open before I venture up there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
Our state chsaa championship, scheduled next week for James Baird state park in Poughkeepsie, has been moved nearby to Links at Union Vale, thanks to 16 of 18 greens being lost or nearly-lost to winter damage.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JJShanley

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »
Did the Red course have temps for the US Open Sectional Qualifier?  I noticed some very low scores there.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »
Did the Red course have temps for the US Open Sectional Qualifier?  I noticed some very low scores there.

I believe one of the holes was taken out of play, so it was a 17-hole qualifier.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
A very timely update as I'll be out that way in a couple weeks and was thinking of trying to play BPB. 

I believe one of the holes was taken out of play, so it was a 17-hole qualifier.

Accurate, according to this post from Geoff:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/5/14/bethpage-red-us-open-qualifier-reduced-to-17-holes.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Barry Stern

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Ronald - Although it is no BP Black, the Links at Unionvale is a course I've played many times over the years before joining a local club.  Have not been out there for a couple of years, but it is a very fun round of golf and among the very best public options in the Hudson Valley.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »
The 4th hole on Red, a par 3, is still closed. Hole #5, a par 5, is being played as both a par 3 and a par 5 from the tee (incredibly long back-ups on that hole, as you can imagine). Holes #14 and #18 also have temp greens. The greens that are open, however, are in fantastic shape and are running true.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

B.Ross

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »
the black will have 6 temps through the weekend.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
the black will have 6 temps through the weekend.

does that include Monday?

B.Ross

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 09:27:41 AM »
not sure mark, that is what a friend told me. best you call and ask, but i have to assume that through the weekend in this case does include monday. a group of guys i know were slated to sleep at the black tonight for an annual match, but have since relocated the match to CT b/c of all the temps.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
I played it yesterday.  The greens that had been temped really didn't look any worse than the ones that were open.  None of them were perfect, but they're good enough.  The rest of the course is in really good shape.  The rough was incredibly dense.  From this non-superintendent's opinion, the greens are ready to be opened.  With that said, the only (limited) information I heard is that they'll probably open after the holiday weekend.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »
Yup, Red comes back full on Tuesday, Black comes back full next Friday. It's in the new phone message. Getting there!

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »
I had a friend who played there today...he said today was the first day all the greens were open; no temps.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »
That's true. I played black today. All greens open. All fairways still unnecessarily narrow : )

Nate Oxman

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »
What are the chances of a twosome walking up and playing this Saturday, relying on the 1 tee time per hour held for walk-ups or possibly being paired with another twosome (instead of sleeping in the lot)? What time would we have to arrive?

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »
What are the chances of a twosome walking up and playing this Saturday, relying on the 1 tee time per hour held for walk-ups or possibly being paired with another twosome (instead of sleeping in the lot)? What time would we have to arrive?

Normally, I would say to get there by 6am and you'll probably get out by 10am or 11am. But to be honest, this weekend, I think your best chance at an AM round is to get there when doors open at 4am. People have been waiting a very long time to play Black and there will likely be a lot of people waiting. This past weekend was as crowded as I've ever seen the place. That all said, people cancel all the time so you could show up at 8am and see a 9am pop up on the board.

If your afternoon is free, now is the time. The days are long and 3pm rounds are easy to get.

EDIT: apologies. i misread. thought you were trying to get out early as possible.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:42:00 PM by Mark Fedeli »

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »
Nate: I've never slept in the parking lot, and I've never had a problem getting on the Black without an advance reservation (as either a single or a twosome). I typically show up at 2pm and get out no later than 4pm (though usually around 3pm), allowing me plenty of time to finish. (Insider tip: Because the Black keeps one time slot open every hour, and because the players who play it tend to be, on average, better than those who play the other courses at Bethpage, the pace of play on the Black is relatively quick.)

Nate Oxman

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »
Thanks for the info., guess we'll give it a shot. If anyone will be there on Saturday, send me a PM.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »
Sent you a PM, Nate. I have a 2:30pm foursome booked on Black and two of the spots may be opening up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back