News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Wentworth (West) 'hidden' (par-3-4?) tee
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
I was told recently that one of the par-3's on the West course at Wentworth has a significantly further back tee that's usually 'hidden' and is only used for the biggest pro events. Apparently it's 'hidden' behind some trees and either the trees or the tee move on rails when they want to bring the tee into play!

I must admit to being a little sceptical but as I wasn't told this on 1st April (!) I'll assume for now that the story has some validity.

Anyone know more? Legit or not?

Atb
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:19:41 AM by Thomas Dai »

David Schofield

Re: Wentworth (West) 'hidden' par-3 tee
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
Google Earth shows what could be a tee tucked back in the trees just left of the #13 green and 30 yards behind the normal #14 tee.  In the interest of full disclosure, I also see the Mars Face (http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1401257/face-mars.jpg).

Sam Krume

Re: Wentworth (West) 'hidden' par-3 tee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:16:04 AM »
This is definitely true, but I actually think it's on a par 4, maybe the 6th but I just can't remember which hole....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:17:36 AM by Sam Krume »

Thomas Dai

Re: Wentworth (West) 'hidden' (par-3-4?) tee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:24:10 AM »
The plot thickens.

Bing satmap - http://binged.it/1cOx34H

Some pretty big houses around the courses as well.

atb

Sam Krume

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:35:45 AM »
After looking at the map, I would almost definitely say it's the 6th. If you zoom in you can see the tee behind the shrubs/trees on rollers.the tee is actually on the east course(me thinks)

Sam Krume

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »
The plot thickens.

Bing satmap - http://binged.it/1cOx34H

Some pretty big houses around the courses as well.

atb

Not only big but quite expensive too...

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »
TD,

Its the par 4 6th hole. It used to play as a short par 4, about 350ish, maybe a bit more, off the top of my head, but to lengthen it would mean going back onto the East course, so there is a tee at about 420 built on the East (or it might be a regular one from the East?), but for everyday play there is a hedge that is wheeled across to hide it.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

JJShanley

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:19:51 PM »
The yardage book shows the back tee(s) without the bushes, while Google Maps shows them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back