News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alan Ritchie

Thoughts on Adelaide
« on: May 16, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm off to Adelaide for the first time this weekend. Have games lined up at Royal Adelaide and Glenelg ( reciprocal club).

To those who know Royal Adelaide, what are your thoughts on the course? It seems that some rank it very highly ( a shoe in, in the top 100) though it seems to lurk just outside these rankings of late. I look forward to the third, the reworked 17th and the railway line, but what are the other highlights of the course? Where would you place it in the Australian rankings?

Likewise any thoughts on Glenelg, and should I try and sneak in a third game at Kooyonga?! And finally, any good places to eat?!

Bart Bradley

Re: Thoughts on Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »
Really strategic course with wonderful angles. Nice walk.  Fun, fun, fun.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »
Alan, I expected a lot out of Kooyonga but came away disappointed. Grange West, however, is well worth your time.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 02:58:13 AM »
Enjoy your games Alan. Especially RA. It is a special place, and loads of great people there.
I'm interested in your post-round take on Glenelg and Neil Crafter's work there...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:08:24 AM »
Mark

You though Grange West was good? We redid a lot of it (all the greens and bunkers, some tree removal and tees moved) but it's always seemed the Adelaide consensus was it was 'too easy' and not that great. I really like it and think it deserves a little more love than it seems to get.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 07:25:15 AM »
good food, great wine and bloody big sharks

Golf is ok, but not what it could be.  RA nice but not sure what it wants to be, but splendid wine list

Grange is interesting but a little bi-polar.  Nice stuff on the west but the east is pretty much the same sort of fair that Greg Norman always serves up.

Glenelg annoys me, stupid pot bunkers and ponds

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:13:46 AM »
Alan

If I was adding a course to Glenelg and RA, I would include Grange West.

Re things to do - Adelaide Oval Sunday night for Port Adelaide vs Richmond - the football will be good and the crowd watching will be great.
Lots of great places for dinner - if you get to Tanunda in the Barossa at lunch time, try FermentAsia.  Outstanding.

RAGC has very firm and fast greens at present, so be warned.  I won't be about, have other commitments plus pennant duties on Sunday (probably at RA). Enjoy your game on Monday, I'll be in Melbourne.

James B
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:27:20 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:43:27 AM »
so it's been an enjoyable couple  of days in Adelaide. played Glenelg yesterday in their comp. didn't score too well and I though it was overall a pretty tough course ( with a slope rating to match) Not hugely long but almost every hole has very strategic bunker placement that made me limit a lot of drives. To me My overall impression was that it was a good course but that there was a bit of overdoing it.

It's good to think on the tee but I felt that every par 4/5 had at least 2 bunkers at driving range that didn't really punish bad shots but could easily snuffle some shots only just off line. As a results I took out 3 wood to lay up on a number of occasions. Likewise I felt the greens were of a great speed and true but some were overly contoured, 3 level etc. so probably a doak 5ish.

Royal Adelaide ont he other hand was like a lesion in subtlety and relative restraint in comparison. A great old school track, relatively firm and just enjoyable to play. we were out early with nobody in sight and a birdie at the first went down a treat! with all my reading on the 3rd and the course guide that demanded a mid iron , I was a little surprised to find the hole more straightforward than I had thought. excellent design but I felt that a decent driver anywhere near the green sets up a relatively straight forward pitch compared to my tricky little 65 harder over the humps. To those in the know, is the grass near the green often longer than it is at the moment?

4, 7, 8' 10 and 11 were my other personal favourites but all in all and excellent day. even my lowlight of double at 16 was offset by a couple of surprising birdies to finish.. doak 8 for me

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 06:12:54 AM »
Alan

the beam abutting the green on 3 has just been cut in the last week.

If you get a chance, have a look at the pitch on 3 if you don't hit the rhs of the fairway.  With a firm and narrow green, it is a very precise shot, with a 6 looming if you misplay it.

Hope you had a good day - it is an honest game of golf at Seaton (RA).
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:37 AM »
with all my reading on the 3rd and the course guide that demanded a mid iron , I was a little surprised to find the hole more straightforward than I had thought. excellent design but I felt that a decent driver anywhere near the green sets up a relatively straight forward pitch compared to my tricky little 65 harder over the humps. To those in the know, is the grass near the green often longer than it is at the moment?

I do think the reputation of the 3rd hole is a bit overcooked.  Remember, though, it was made in the days when one had to hit a persimmon driver toward the green, which was much easier to lose up the hill to the right.  The rough on the ridge to the left of the green was much more severe the first time I played the hole, 25 years ago.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Concur, 3rd never really got me excited.  Add some interest to the green and perhaps it might be better

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:10 AM »
I do think the reputation of the 3rd hole is a bit overcooked.  Remember, though, it was made in the days when one had to hit a persimmon driver toward the green, which was much easier to lose up the hill to the right.  The rough on the ridge to the left of the green was much more severe the first time I played the hole, 25 years ago.

Surely the greatness of the 3rd is it's uniqueness?   

Part of why Royal Adelaide is regarded highly too?   If you analyse the holes is minute detail it probably doesn't come close to being a top 100 course but it should be on everyone's to do list because there is so much that is unique about the place.

One of my favorite courses. Challenges you to hit good shots, but is relatively gentle to the out of form golfer.  Combine that with a beautiful intimate routing and a knowledgeable membership that has great traditions and it one of the country's or world's great golf clubs.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back