News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: 17th green @ Pebble is finally expanded
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 02:47:08 AM »
"So is it the Poa or the foot traffic or a combination of both?"

Rob M. -

At the AT&T it is a combination of both, plus the usual February weather. Also remember that play in the AT&T is 4-balls, with 2 pros and 2 amateurs (plus 4 caddies) in each group. In addition, I think there are close to 160 teams that play in the AT&T. That is a lot of foot traffic on those small greens at Pebble.

There are far fewer comments about bumpy poa greens at Pebble when the US Open is played there in June.

DT

Carl Nichols

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »
"So is it the Poa or the foot traffic or a combination of both?"

Rob M. -

At the AT&T it is a combination of both, plus the usual February weather. Also remember that play in the AT&T is 4-balls, with 2 pros and 2 amateurs (plus 4 caddies) in each group. In addition, I think there are close to 160 teams that play in the AT&T. That is a lot of foot traffic on those small greens at Pebble.

There are far fewer comments about bumpy poa greens at Pebble when the US Open is played there in June.

DT

With the leaders obviously playing the latest rounds of the day on Sunday . . . .

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
"With the leaders obviously playing the latest rounds of the day on Sunday"

Carl N. -

At least on Sunday the final round is played with new pin positions, whereas the pins are not moved during the first 3 days.

DT

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
"With the leaders obviously playing the latest rounds of the day on Sunday"

Carl N. -

At least on Sunday the final round is played with new pin positions, whereas the pins are not moved during the first 3 days.

DT

David:
Understood.  But the cumulative effect of extra amateur play (albeit not the full field) and the growth of the poa is felt most by the final groups. 

Pat Burke

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
In fairness, the conditions at Pebble have improved dramatically in the last 10 years, and I believe
there is less talk about the greens.
I played Pebble a few weeks ago and could not believe how good the conditions were.

Back in the late 90's, the conditions of all the courses were usually pretty bad.  Soft, wet, bumpy.
It definitely took some toughness (which I struggled with :D) to deal with standing over some putts
knowing you can't make it!

Back then, Riviera was even worse.  I had a putt on 18 at Riviera from 4 feet very late Friday with a 2 shot
cushion to make the cut.  I actually lagged it.  The green was so foot printed up there was know way if I missed it by more than
a foot I believed I could make the next one!
Riviera is another course that in the past years has improved the conditions dramatically.  Those greens were beautiful the days aftert he tournament the past couple years!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
The conditions at Pebble including the greens have improved dramatically over the years.  The greens were near perfect (despite all the play it gets from all kinds of golfers) when I played it a week or so ago.  Most of the great golf courses in the Northeast of the U.S. have a mix of bent and poa and most U.S. Opens (I would bet 3/4 or more) have been played on greens with some poa in them! 

David_Tepper

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back