News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Machrie
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
From Steve Wilson...

This shows the extension of the 2nd further along the burn and the creation of a new par 3 to replace the 5th which is being taken out of the rotation.  The holes along the sea will be unchanged except for their numbering.  The 8th is going to be altered to play along the top of the dunes.  The new 9th will play in am opposite direction back into the dunes and so the existing ninth which is certainly the poorest hole on the course will be gone.  The awfulness of the hole is difficult to describe in that it lacks imagination, challenge, or a pleasing appearance.

The new 10 and 11 are going to cross over the burn and it's not possible to speak of their merits as they are not yet even in the dirt yet.  The remaining changes on the back consist of providing an alternate route into the fifteenth (less blind) and bring the 18th closer to the hotel.  The stated. Philosophy is to retain the blindness but present longer but more open approaches.  The intentions are to complete the hotel by 2017 and the course by 2018.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:46:26 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
Mike and Steve,

Thanks for the plan, though it doesnt mean too much to me as I've not been there yet. I've been planning on a trip to Islay for a while, so as I've missed out playing the course in its previous guise, I may as well wait till its done...

Have I missed it in this thread? When are they planning on finishing the works?

A related query regarding RAW (which I think I may have asked on here previously?) Their website mentions a Derbyshire course. Does anyone know anything about it?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

abmack

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Machrie. Twice I have traveled there and these trips have been some of my all time favourite golfing experiences.

I have planned to bring a group of antipodeans there for a 2 day binge of pure golf and fine whiskey. Probably more of the former if that's believable.

Yesterday I heard second hand that there has / will be significant redesign of every hole at The Machrie. Apparently there are no more blind shots which seems like it must involve some dramatic changes to routing and a severe departure from the original design.

The website is conspicuously silent so I was wondering if anyone had any more information they could share.

I have seen that RAW Golf Design was engaged to make the initial changes. I thought this was just to a couple of holes but their twitter account looks like it's significantly more. 

The Machrie fitted my tastes (admittedly not inside the ordinary bell curve). The only course by RAW Design that I have played - Archerfield - was certainly not my cup of tea.

Naturally when traveling so far I want to maximise my enjoyment every day of the trip and so any advice on what's happening at the Machrie would be very helpful in making a call on whether we still go there.

PS - any suggestions as a replacement location for the trip would be cool. I've already planned 2 nights in Campbeltown and 2 nights on Uist as well as a couple of the more well trodden places. 

Goldy,

I hope you're well. You're always welcome in Boston, Newcomb would be happy to see you at another TDMS dinner.

It sounds like you may already be headed to Askernish; if you had a little bit of time. I would go down to St. Enodoc in the west country. I played there last summer and its fabulous. Very charming little town as well.

Otherwise, if it's old Scottish links that you want, Cruden Bay is one of my favorite courses anywhere.

Regards,

Andrew

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 08:45:36 AM »
Askernish, Cruden Bay and St Enodoc ! Why not go the whole hog and play somewhere in Norfolk as well. I've just spent 3 days playing Leven, Glasgow Gailes and Panmure in that order and that was manageable but I hate to think of the travelling involved between the western isles, Cornwall and the north east of Scotland. All good courses to be sure but perhaps doing them all on the one trip might not be the best idea.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
You're right, of course Niall, but if your starting point is New Zealand then suddenly the distances probably don't look quite so big. And perhaps your priorities change.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Frank Pont

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
Never realised Machrie only has 3 par 3 holes.
Strange, most classic (links) courses usually have 4-5 par 3 holes......

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 06:00:39 AM »
Thank you Adam, I was just being curmudgeonly, I apologise.

Frank

Thats an interesting observation and probably worthy of a thread on its own right. I think I'm right in saying that Willie Park advocated only 3 par 3's and certainly Glasgow Gailes which Park had a hand in redesigning in 1912 only has 3 par 3's. Moray Old at Lossiemouth has only 3 par 3's also and that was after Colt paid a visit in the early 1920's.

Re Machrie, bare in mind that they lost Mount Zion when the farmer claimed the land back so there probably was 4 par 3's at some point. I haven't been there but I believe the green formation is still there.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
Thank you Adam, I was just being curmudgeonly, I apologise.

Frank

Thats an interesting observation and probably worthy of a thread on its own right. I think I'm right in saying that Willie Park advocated only 3 par 3's and certainly Glasgow Gailes which Park had a hand in redesigning in 1912 only has 3 par 3's. Moray Old at Lossiemouth has only 3 par 3's also and that was after Colt paid a visit in the early 1920's.

Re Machrie, bare in mind that they lost Mount Zion when the farmer claimed the land back so there probably was 4 par 3's at some point. I haven't been there but I believe the green formation is still there.

Niall

Good point Niall. Where I think many Links balance out fewer par 3s is in having multiple short par 4s. Look at TOC with only 2 par 3s but 7, 9, 10, 12, 16 & 18 all being short and drivable in the right conditions.

Jon

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
Probably off topic but thought I'd give a quick update of the itinerary:

Part 1: Prestwick, Shiskine, Traigh, Askernish, Harris (TBC), Muirfield, St Andrews (ballot), one other TBC.

Part 2: Formby, Birkdale, Hoylake (TBC), North Wales, Nefyn, Bulls Bay, St David's, Aberdovey, Tenby, Pennard, Porthcawl, New Zealand Club.

Looking forward to some new courses in Wales and some old favourites. Any recommendations welcome as there's some flexibility in Wales.   
@Pure_Golf

BCrosby

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
Wonderful itinerary.

If you are in the Liverpool area, I recommend adding Wallasey. I have never understood why it is overlooked so often by Americans.

Bob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »
Where I think many Links balance out fewer par 3s is in having multiple short par 4s. Look at TOC with only 2 par 3s but 7, 9, 10, 12, 16 & 18 all being short and drivable in the right conditions.

Jon

There are some older courses in USA that seem to go the opposite direction with uber-long Par 3's rather than fewer 3's and add some short 4's. For that matter Harlech has an extra Par 3 that is extra-long.

I'm good either way. What I like is to have something in that 200-300 range whether they are deemed 3's or 4's.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 06:26:52 AM »
Thanks Bob.

I've played Wallasey a few years ago although it's a bit of a blur as I had a couple of Kummel's the night before.

Traveling tomorrow and getting pretty excited, going to be a great final week of my 20s.
@Pure_Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back