News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Wilbur

Sheep Ranch to Golf Course?
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:29:02 AM »
While spending some time last week reading some local Oregon newspapers,  an article mentioned Mike Kaiser saying that he would consider transforming the Sheep Ranch into another of Bandon's courses.  It did not sound eminent, but I thought I'd throw out the question of which you'd prefer.  Although a two time Bandon visitor, I have not been fortunate enough to venture out to the Sheep Ranch.   I'll vote for making it into Bandon Dunes V, if only to make access a little easier. 

As a side note, over the past six months I've twice tried to book groups of eight to Bandon, and failed when the limited tee times and accommodations couldn't make the trip feasible.  I called over the weekend, and booked my wife and I times over the Christmas weekend, and it was wide open!  It makes me much less sorry that my daughter will be with her in-laws!!

Scott Weersing

Re: Sheep Ranch to Golf Course?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:22:39 AM »
I tried to make a reservation in February of 2015 for a trip in February of 2016. And there were no tee times available to play 36 holes.

As to a fifth course at Bandon: I am not sure it is really needed. But the one option is a cart course on the other side of the highway. They would get Nicklaus or Fazio to design it and it would not be links golf. Why? Because then people might come to Bandon for more of what they see at home.

As to the Sheep Ranch becoming a fifth course: It could be interesting to see some holes north of no. 16 at Old Mac. I would rather see Old Mac no. 2, perhaps an Old Crump or an Old Wilson or an Old MacKenzie.

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
I've been to Bandon three times but I've never been on the property that is Sheep Ranch.  If it were turned into a full 18 golf course, how many regulation golf holes could be built on the piece of land that Sheep Ranch currently occupies?

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »
In the article, Keiser mentioned having access to 400 acres.   

John Cowden

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:20:51 AM »
The Sheep Ranch (Ballybandon) is a treat.  Whatever Mr. Keiser chooses to do with it, I've no doubt it will be well done and appropriate to the property.  But consider that the public track at the south end of town, Bandon Crossings (Dan Hixson), is well regarded, and Gil Hanse has been tapped by Keiser to design the anticipated muni shortly.  Head 45" further south and Western Gales will break ground soon on similar headland and cliff top property.  The Sheep Ranch may have the coolest green site on the coast, "E", but perhaps the unique character of the "course" should be preserved.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
I'd certainly prefer that Sheep Ranch be left as it is.  There are plenty of standard (by comparison) golf courses in Bandon and apparently more are on the way.  There's only one Sheep Ranch. 

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
How many groups are allowed to use the Sheep Ranch at the same time?

John Cowden

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »
I'm no expert on the mythology, or rules, of SR.  My best info:  it's not open to "the public"; it's not open in the summer; I've played it with my wife when we were the only people out there, or even in sight;  I've played it as a twosome when there was another twosome out there, someplace; and I've played it with a dozen guys on an annual buddy trip when we had it to ourselves; the caddies occasionally have a tourney out there when there might be a keg on each "tee", I'm not sure; green fees are $50 for the day, or maybe the "map" is $50, I'm not sure.   

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
How many groups are allowed to use the Sheep Ranch at the same time?

From the other recent Sheep Ranch thread:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60813.0.html

The Sheep Ranch looks sensational. Great concept and it would be an awesome day out with your mates. My question is...it seems like everytime someone plays it they're the only group on the course, and if the place is closed for 3 months during summer, the total rounds per year must be very low? Around 1500? I definitely want to play it when I finally get to Bandon.  :)
Yes, you are the only group on the course.  You reserve and pay for the course for the day - $100 per person.  You bring as many or as few people as you like.  Because of the lack of a routing, it could get unsafe if you didn't know where the other players were on the "course."  Honestly, because there aren't many blind shots, it wouldn't be difficult to keep track of 3 or 4 groups, but that isn't the way SR thinks.  As a result, I was able to play a two-ball all day without having to think about anyone or anything except enjoying the beautiful surroundings and a great day golfing.  As a relaxing, golfing experience, it doesn't get much better.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

William_G

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
I tried to make a reservation in February of 2015 for a trip in February of 2016. And there were no tee times available to play 36 holes.

in February, it's tough to guarantee 36 holes when sunrise is 7:30 and sunset at 5:30m when it's $145 for 2 rounds and the facility actively encourages golfers to rebook for the following year

if and when the Sheep ranch goes to 18 holes, anything is possible there

:)
It's all about the golf!

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
in February, it's tough to guarantee 36 holes when sunrise is 7:30 and sunset at 5:30m...

And they are very adamant about not letting anyone go out before 8am during that time of the year.

Guarantee is the operative word here.  I was in Bandon in January and had morning times booked in advance, but was able to go back out for a second round on both Saturday and Sunday as a twosome.

I feel like a lot of the bigger groups that go that time of year only plan on doing 18 per day, because trying to get two groups out consecutively with only a few hours of daylight is not feasible.  But if you are alone or with one other person, you can definitely get a second round in about 3 hours, as long as you're a bit flexible.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
Bandon either needs to build another 2-3 more courses or they need to start raising their round prices, because the crowds and numerous groups (with guys lugging around coolers of beer) take away from the experience greatly.
H.P.S.

William_G

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
yes, the resort uses the word "guarantee" and that it is tough for large groups, yet a single or twosome is all good anytime of the year for sure, thanks Jordan
It's all about the golf!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »
Bandon either needs to build another 2-3 more courses or they need to start raising their round prices, because the crowds and numerous groups (with guys lugging around coolers of beer) take away from the experience greatly.

or they could just limit the number of tee times available. I am not sure that the richer you are the better behaved golfer you become. Charging too much for your product just because some people are daft enough to pay it has ruined a lot of what is great about this sport at certain places.

Jon

John Cowden

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
I've never seen "guys lugging around coolers of beer" in all of the 100+ rounds I've played at the resort going back to '99.  At least not on the course...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
I must be an old fart.  I rue for the old days when Bandon was just BD and PD, rates were lower, and it was a simple, no-frills place, and kind of an unknown secret.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020103001657/http://www.bandondunes.com/.docs/pg/reservations.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:38:51 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Peter Kelly

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
I've always heard about how booked up Bandon is, which is one reason I've never been there. Then, in early March, a friend said he was going to try to go there in June, 2015 and would I like to help him put together a group. I said sure as this would finally get me to Bandon, but told him that it was unlikely that we could get rooms and/or tee times with such short notice. We called the next day and got both 4 rooms AND good morning tee times for all 4 courses (plus afternoon play as well). Then a few other guys said they would like to join us to make it 8 players. We were able to get 4 more rooms and tee times adjacent to the ones we already had!

I know we just got lucky (maybe because it's early in the high season?), but very excited to make the pilgrimage for the first time. In fact, we even added a 4th night so will have 5 days of golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
I must be an old fart.  I rue for the old days when Bandon was just BD and PD, rates were lower, and it was a simple, no-frills place, and kind of an unknown secret.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020103001657/http://www.bandondunes.com/.docs/pg/reservations.html

Dan, you are talking about 2001 when my brother and Tiger Bernhardt and I played there and played three rounds on Pacific Dunes and two on Bandon Dunes over two days.  Nirvana.  The 11th on Pacific Dunes and 16 on Bandon Dunes were the two coolest holes I think I had played up to that date. 

William_G

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
what a great thing Bill
It's all about the golf!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »

Not sure if I understand this post (especially since I know your sample size on this issue).

Are 10 minute tee times not a wide enough spacing for you?  Do you expect to have the top golf resort in the country to yourself?

As Mr. Cowden pointed out, in the hundreds of rounds I've caddied out here, I have yet to see a cooler.  There are plenty of guys who will tote around a bag of beers, but the limited locations to replenish them really cuts down on the on the course drinking.

As for tee time availability, the same groups (some of them in the 40 - 60 person range) have been coming to Bandon in the winter for the last 15 years.  The resort gives these return customers a good deal of priority, as they should.  It might not make sense to fly across the country for 18 holes a day in January, but its no problem to drive down from Portland (and plenty of people do).

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Cowden

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
Sven, if you need a couple bags for a week beginning January 3, we might make a team--especially since we won't be flying across the country for it.  And even though I cry when I think of how the resort has spoiled DMK's stunning layout with it's gorse eradication and fescue reduction programs.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 08:19:27 PM »
@Bill_McBride - Exactly!  It was so cool back then.  Essentially undiscovered and absolutely no sense of being a place of privilege.

Laura and I played with some awesome people and we had an amazing time.  My favorite was a guy who rode to Bandon on his motorcycle from Monterrey, CA with his father.  He played, and his father waked along taking pictures.  VERY classy people!

Damn, that was fun :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
@Bill_McBride - Exactly!  It was so cool back then.  Essentially undiscovered and absolutely no sense of being a place of privilege.

Laura and I played with some awesome people and we had an amazing time.  My favorite was a guy who rode to Bandon on his motorcycle from Monterrey, CA with his father.  He played, and his father waked along taking pictures.  VERY classy people!

Damn, that was fun :)

"Damn, that was fun" is exactly what I was thinking!   During that 2001 trip we had heard about the Sheep Ranch but it want yet named.  We got a bit of Intel and drove up to the gate and climbed over.  All there really was that was identifiable as a golf course was the green right there.  It was all very intriguing.  We drank a few cocktails considering the possibilities. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
Amen - I remember the super secret way you'd call Bandon Golf Supply for Sheep Ranch informaton.  It was all very hush-hush.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »

As to a fifth course at Bandon: I am not sure it is really needed. But the one option is a cart course on the other side of the highway. They would get Nicklaus or Fazio to design it and it would not be links golf. Why? Because then people might come to Bandon for more of what they see at home.

There is a course on the other side of the highway, and chances are it's better than a Nicklaus or Fazio.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back