News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

Wickenburg Ranch Golf Club (AZ) NEW COURSE (Photo Tour)
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »
Wickenburg Ranch Golf Club is located in Wickenburg, AZ.  It is about an 80-minute drive from downtown Phoenix.  It is located in the northwest section, probably another 30 minutes from Quintero, for the people who know where that is at.  Wendell Pickett and Bill Brownlee designed the golf course and community. It is interesting in the fact that this is their first golf course design for the both of them.  Wendell Pickett is a very well established landscape architect who has designed many communities.  Bill Brownlee is the owner of M3 companies. They have worked together by being part of projects in Arizona and the Western US, and have developed a relationship to form a great golf course.  The golf course was built in 2008 and finished in 2009.  It sat fully grassed and maintained for 7 years till it officially opened, the developing company wanted to wait out the economic downturn before opening.  During this time, minor changes were made to make it the best golf course it possibly could be.  In 2014, Shea homes with Trilogy wanted to build their homes on the property and the golf course opened up for everyone to play.  It will be a private club in 2018, but till then it is a semi private club to spread the word and let people enjoy the golf course.  

Now the course- it is a Par 71, just over 7,000-yard golf course.  The back tees are pretty difficult with long carries off the tee, but it has fairly wide fairways and very big greens with multiple undulations.  The golf course is built on rolling topography; almost every golf hole has something going on, either uphill or downhill.  There are many long views throughout the golf course, that provide looks onto future or previous golf holes that will enhance your experience.  I will admit I have worked at many first class properties and the conditions at Wickenburg Ranch are about as good as it gets.  The bent grass greens are some of the best you will ever putt on, so true and smooth while being the perfect speed to provide fun putts.  I love working here and enjoy every single day of work being on a beautiful piece of property.

Now onto the course

Hole 1 (Par 4)  447yards
Slight dogleg right off the tee, quite an intimidating tee shot right off the bat.  The approach to the green is to a slight angled green going from right to left with an upper tier in the back right section

Hole 2 (Par 3)  205 yards
Very fun par 3, it has the kicker slope to be a great redan, but there is a high upper tier on the back left of the green that is only accessible by flying it on there.  

Hole 3  (Par 4)  437yards
A tee shot with a centerline bunker that makes the tee shot interesting, it looks more daunting than it is.  Should be an easy carry, but to have a good look into the green, one needs to hit their tee shot more right.  The more you hug the left, the better chance you have of being blocked out by the ridge.  Approach shot into the green is over a wash downhill; if you are a long driver playing from a tee up the hole becomes driveable by taking it over the ridge of desert.  

Hole 4 (Par 3)  178yards
The bunkers on the left scare you away from trying to bail out, because the green runs towards the water.  Trying to hit a bunker shot or chip shot from the left side of the green is quite a daunting task to just hold the green.  Just man up and try to hit the green.  

Hole 5  (Par 5)  618 yards
Very tough Par 5, the tee shot plays downhill to the widest fairway on the golf course, but that is about the only easy part.  The second shot which will always be a lay up is to a fairway that you want to be to the left as much as possible to set up your third.  The third shot is over a wash to a steeply uphill green, you can’t see the pin position or how to play the shot, which makes it very difficult.

Hole 6 (Par 4)  334 yards
One of my favorite golf holes on the course.  IMO a very well done short par 4, that provides many options off the tee.  If one wants to take a rip at the green they better have enough distance or it will hit the false front and roll back into the beach bunker leaving a very difficult 50 yard uphill bunker shot.  The layup IMO is even harder, it needs a perfect straight shot preferably closer to the water to have a straight on look into the green.  The more you bail out left, you have to then go over the greenside bunker leaving a tough wedge shot.  

Hole 7 (Par 5)  545 yards
My favorite par 5 on the golf course.  The view from the tee box is incredible, you not only scan the whole property but the way the hole bends the green reveals itself on the tee shot to the right of the saguaro cactuses.   It is definitely a birdie hole, usually downwind and if you cut the corner on the tee shot you will be left with a mid iron in.   The shot into the green is over the same wash that cuts in front of 5 green.  The green is surrounded by 4 bunkers and has three distinct tiers on it.  I love how the fairway tightens up and goes through a shoot.  

Hole 8 (Par 3)  192 yards
A raised green that is almost a upside down triangle shape.  With the two bunkers on each side of the green, it makes up and downs very hard.  Pin positions can get very fun with this hole.  

Hole 9   (Par 5)  574 yards
This is by far the most controversial hole on the golf course, people either love it or they hate it.  You wont see a golf hole like this anywhere else.  The tee shot is downhill to a wide fairway, with a bunker to aim it in the distance.  Then the hole climbs straight uphill the rest of the way, when the fairways are cut tight like they are right now, you have the potential you have your ball roll all the way back down if not struck solidly.  Most people are blind on their third shots into the green.  

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:50:44 PM by Peter Ferlicca »

Peter Ferlicca

Re: Wickenburg Ranch Golf Club (AZ) NEW COURSE (Photo Tour)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »
Hole 10  (Par 4)  360 yards
This is the other driveable par 4 on the golf course.   This also is very well designed; it provides players with a much wider lay up shot for those playing safe.  Those wanting a go will have to land it in a 15-yard wide strip of fairway that has a huge kicker slope sending your ball right towards the green.  It is very exhilarating when you know you hit a perfect drive to see where your ball ends up.  

Hole 11  (Par 3)   184 yards
A distinct green with three different plateaus, the front left pin position is in a bowl which could lead to a hole in one.  

Hole 12  (Par 4)   428 yards
I find this hole to be one of the better ones on the golf course.  It just has the look of a quality golf hole with the uphill approach.  The hole was set into the hill sloping from left to right.   It is always difficult to judge the distance on how much to add to the second shot going into the green.

Hole 13  (Par 3)     245 yards
This is the signature golf hole on the course, with its peninsula green jutting out into a lake.  It looks very daunting from the tee but the green is huge and there is plenty of room to bail out left.  The beach bunker in front is beautiful, but not somewhere you want to be.   Par here is a very good score.

Hole 14  (Par 5)   583 yards
One of the most difficult par 5’s you will play.   The tee shot depending on which tees you play is half blind which makes it quite difficult, you have vulture peak to aim at, but it still is hard.  Then the lay up shot is over a crest with a creek running down the whole left side, you want to stay as far right as possible to have a good third going in.  The green is surrounded by water in the entire back and left side, it is over 14,000 square feet, which makes for a huge target.  The view looking back up the golf hole is gorgeous.  

Hole 15  (Par 4)   409 yards
A slightly uphill dogleg left Par 4, the tee shot is more open to the left than it looks.  A settle looking hole, but always look great in the afternoon shadows.  

Hole 16   (Par 4)  423 yards
A beautiful canyon type golf hole where one tees off from the high left side of a ridge down into the canyon, you aim at Vultures Peak for the ideal line.  Once down in the canyon you are left with a small undulating green that requires a precise approach shot to escape with a par.  

Hole 17  (Par 3)   210 yards
A gorgeous looking par three with the backdrop of sundial peak in the foreground, you can play a shot out to the left and have it bounce onto the green that slopes hard from left to right.  

Hole 18  (Par 5)   591 yards
A very difficult finishing tee shot that requires a long drive just to carry the wash that fronts the fairway.  Once you reach the hole the second shot must go far enough to reach the fat of the lay up zone but yet be short of the bunker just short of the wash.  Definitely a three shot finishing hole.  

Sundial Peak

Old Driving Range  (Now the Short Course)

Pictures of the Short Course under Construction

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:52:06 PM by Peter Ferlicca »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for the photo tour. I'm pleased to report that a group of single digit handicappers from my club played WR recently  and gave favorable reports. My group of mid handicappers will be there on May 23 and I will report thereafter.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
Looks nice (especially pre-houses) but I have two questions:

Why are the pars distances so clumped together?

Three are w/in 11 yards @ 181, 185, 192
Two are w/ in 2 yards @ 208, 210
Then the outlier @ 245

Looks like you've missed a pretty big opportunity to vary your shot selection?

Why is there so much H2o in play for a course in the desert??
Integrity in the moment of choice

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:56:08 PM »
John,   
Sorry about the yardages.  I just guessed from memory of driving around everyday but I updated it and put the official distances up.   There is always a breeze out there and many play quite different.   

About the water.   There is only four holes with water.  That is pretty small compared to most courses in the desert, especially in Palm springs. 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
Looks like I will have to get out there before the houses are built - looks really good.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
With my parents living in Surprise, I will have to add this to my list of places to play.

A guy at my club said his parents (who live at Desert Mountain) played there and liked it.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:59:53 AM »
I played here on Saturday and thought it was pretty good.

It isn't quite as good as the starter's hyperbole that made you think you were about to play Pine Valley or Augusta National (I had to try hard to not laugh when the starter said, 'We have PGA sand in our bunkers').

There are some good holes here. There is certainly a target element to it, but the good holes far outnumber the poor holes.). The greens are much more interesting than what you find at many PHX area courses. The greens are also bent and they were very smooth and a joy to putt.

There are some homes going up on the front nine, so I would recommend getting out there sooner rather than later.

I think a 36-hole day of Wickenburg Ranch and Los Caballeros would be a pretty good day.

JHoulihan

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »
First, Thanks to Peter for the great photo tour seen above.
Here are my thoughts after my first time seeing this course.
1) Black/white barber pole present on the first and many holes to follow but are for aiming only and are NOT the same distance to to green surface
2) The front desk clerk said that almost none of the carts have GPS and suggested a printed book. I did refer to it at times but phone GPS was a huge help on many tees
3) I drove the ball particularly well today, had 33 putts, and still did not break 80. You can add up lost balls and big numbers if not straight off the tee
4) Many tee shots play downhill as listed below. Just a totally different view of most flat valley courses in the area.
5) Routing plays outward 9 to the west of clubhouse before returning eastward with 18 green sitting just below the new clubhouse. NO halfway house for drinks/snacks with basically no options for 6 or 9 hole play
6) Distances listed below are from Blue tees (6486 yards) with Black tees playing 7059 yards.
Hole 1 - 411
Downhill tee shot #1. Uphill second shot with geen being hidden from right side of fairway.
Hole 2 - 172
Downhill tee shot #2. Smaller than expected green size for length of hole. Especially sloped right to left with 5 x 5 feet far right of green perched up from low area tough tournament pin location that happened to be used today.
Hole 3 - 402
Downhill tee shot #3. Cannot see green to left behind desert ridge. Aiming bunker in fairway allows many options of club from tee. Large green allows runup options in front if not stuck directly behind large cactus in wash between fairway and green complex.
Hole 4 - 165
Water in front more of vizual disturbance than in play. Large green with ridge splitting upper and lower levels. 3-4 putts possible if not on the correct level.
Hole 5 - 568 (Handicap 1)
Gradual uphill climb playing 3 shots for all but very best. Wash is not visible for first 60% of hole and only comes into view when playing lay up 3rd shot. Front right geenside bunker swallows up any bailout shots short/right of the green.
Hole 6 - 310
Downhill tee shot #4. Great risk reward Par 4. Driver or less can be played from the tee. Left is safe option but if too far you must carry greenside bunker lip to have a chance at birdie putt.
Hole 7 - 513
Favor center/left off the tee with right side desert in play more than appears from the tee. 200 plus yards into green can be hit in 2. Much runoff area surrounds green with birdie/par chance possible if can avoid right greenside bunker.
Hole 8 - 167
4 corner bunkers surround green. Did not remember this hole well but liked Peter's description of "triangle" with even mowing line at back then pointing forward between 2 front bunkers.
Hole 9 - 556 (Handicap 3)
"Big Hill" starts with downhill tee shot #5 with HUGE hill showing you that a flat lie ahead will not be on this hole. Large slopes present in fairway that may move ball 20-40 yards from right to left side. 3 shot par 5 for all but best. I hot great drive and running 4 wood with short pitch left to biggest green on course thus far. We played to a visible front pin but you should drive up to/near green before hitting approach. As mentioned before long is dead and it seems to be just too severe a penalty on such a tough hole tee to green.
Hole 10 - 339
Downhill tee shot #6. Only the left side of hole seen from tee box. You may or may not see flad depending on where the tee markers are placed that day. Long iron/hybrid approach leaves wedge approach. Those hoping to drive green are left with sliver of fairway to right side (again blind from tee) with desert present short and left of greensite. Risky tee ball here could bring scores ranging from 2 to 8.
Hole 11 - 162
Did not remember this hole well until reviewing yardage book. Large green with false front and runoffs present. No greenside bunkers
Hole 12 - 399 (Handicap 6)
Did not remember this hole at all and unsure why. Peter called it "one of the better ones on the course" and I am disappointed why I did not feel the same.
Hole 13 - 220
Downhill tee shot #7. The wow view from the tee shows the courses best picture opportunity. Beach bunker present in front/right with center/left side safe side. Large green makes 3-4 putts possible.
Hole 14 - 564 (Handicap 2)
Most demanding tee shot on the course by a large margin. Water present on both right and left side. Aiming barber pole is present but cannot be seen from either of the back two teeing grounds. 3 shot hole for most will be approached with a short iron in hand to huge green. 3 plus putts are possible if not on the correct level with putts running off the front of the green a possibility.
Hole 15 - 382
Downhill tee shot #8. No fairway bunkers present encourage most to hit driver from the tee. Middle to short iron allow birdie/par with good approach.
Hole 16 - 404 (Handicap 4)
Downhill tee shot #9. Did not remember this at the time but great reminder that this is only hole playing to same par as previous hole. Favor left side of fairway leaving second shot with bunkers both front and right of the green.
Hole 17 - 197
Large bunker present behind green to catch those over shooting green. Better play may be to lay up short and chip uphill rather than out of bunker to green sloping back to front.
Hole 18 - 555
What a tough long hole! 3 shot finisher to all but the best. Longest finishing hole I remember playing recently (maybe ever). Gradual uphill climb forces most to hit driver off the tee but desert wash must be carried forcing you to comtemplate the club used off the tee. Second wash area short of green must be avoided as well. Another large green complex with 3 putts possible and maybe even chips/putts running off the front of the green possible if playing from the upper level or closely mowed area just over the green.

Justin

Dave Givnish

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
Did you get a chance to play Lil' Wick? Make time to do it the next time you go if you didn't get a chance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back